Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Censorship

1235»

Comments

• Options
    bingaddict:

So you are saying that it is wrong to politely enquire why a thread is suddenly closed down without warning at midnight (when I was replying to Sunbury Addict's post about ground sharing with Millwall).

If the general feeling is that such a question is inappropriate then I suggest there should be clarity and consistency:

Make it clear that posts about subjects such as the Lisbie Song and Ambrose are inappropriate and will be immediately incinerated. And enforce it. As stated I had been reading such threads for a long time so I couldn't see any reason for the chop.

And, yes I already know that if I don't like it there are other sites that I can go to.
  • Options
    Get over it ffs if you dont like it move on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Sorry had to remove this post
  • Options

Excuse my ignorance but can somebody tell me what a troll is.

Have you ever read the three billy goats gruff ?

• Options

On what grounds was the Ambrose thread closed down? Doesn't freedom of speech apply on this forum.

In answer to your question, no I suppose freedom of speech doesn't apply on this forum, mainly for two reasons:

1. As an independently run site, we have a responsibility to ensure we don't get put in a difficult position by potentially libellous, slanderous or abusive comments posted on our platform. Having had legal issues in the past, we are more guarded against that than perhaps some other forums.

2. We have a desire to protect the integrity of the forum our names are against, and do what we can to endorse that. We didn't set this up to be a 'lads forum' or 'banta' site, we aim for a cross section of considered Charlton views, humour and general chat, but maintaining some form of standards. Homophobic, racist abuse, having a laugh at homophobic or racist abuse, falls well outside that.

Perhaps this is one of the instances where what we see as funny and acceptable in our mid-thirties is different to what we did when we were 20.

We take our moderation seriously because we are proud of our forum. Any busy forum that gets over 1,000 posts a day has to be moderated effectively otherwise it will completely disintegrate. It is never easy to strike to right balance and sometimes we will get it wrong. But having done it for over six years now I'm relatively confident we get it more right than wrong.

Hope that answers your question.

I understand that you do not want to run the risk potential libellous material or abusive comments.

But the one thing I have noticed that there is not a week goes by when another thread is closed I know of no other forum that brings down the axe as swiftly as this one. Other forums do not seem to have the problems you think you may get

Which others sites?

various West Ham Message boards,Everton, to name a couple I noticed that someone put a thread on here about the bolton player who had the heart attack that was open to long before that was closed down no one had been racist or nasty

• Options
    Maybe comments you didn't see had been removed. Maybe there was already a thread. Maybe there was a reason, but the universe decided you just weren't to know about it. Stranger things have happened.
  • Options
    I know Millwall fans are a bit slow but how long does it take to find a closed thread.

http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/49813/muamba

As for the closed Muamba thread, no nothing racist or nasty just that there was already a thread on the same topic as indicated by the link to that other thread.

Simple enough, like Millwall fans really.