Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is the current Charlton team your favorite ever?

Comments

• Options
    Aug 2003- Jan 04 side. unplayable at times.
  • Options
    no
  • Options
    Mid 70s - Powell, Hales, Flanagan and Peacock
    Mid 80s - Bolder, Humphrey, Reid etc
  • Options
    Hamer
    Powell
    Solly
    Morrison or Rufus - sorry, can't do that one!!
    Brown
    Cort
    Newton
    Jones?
    Prichard
    Kinsella
    Kermorgant
    Mendonca

• Options
    It's between 99-00 or 03-04 for me. Both wonderful sides, and they represent two very different incarnations of our team under Curbs.

Happiest memories? Two of my favourite away days ever. Doing Palace in 2000 thanks to Kitson's late winner, and Anfield in 2004 to see us do the double over the Scousers. Great days.
  • Options

This would be the best side and would definitely require consideration (we went on to finish 7th that season), but I suspect that there were fewer favourites in that team than we have had over the years. I think I would, personally, struggle to have a favourite team without Rufus in it and he didn't play at all that season.

As much as I like our current team, and some of them may well go on to be great footballers, I doubt that many of them would have got into the first eleven in either of the two promotion sides. The team that won the First Division in 2000, and the team that went on that ten game run at the end of the 1997/98 season were, I believe, better players than we have now. They were, in fact, better than everything else out of the Premier League at the time.

I think the shocking time we've had over the five seasons, before the last one, has made us more appreciative of what we have. There is no doubt that I am as happy with the football as I have been for years, but I think none of the current team would make my all time favourite yet. I love Chris Solly, but both Danny Mills and Luke Young were full England internationals. I know Solly is young and will improve, but he has a long way to go.
  • Options
    The team that won promotion in 1985/86 despite leaving The Valley mid-season was awesome, in terms of quality and particularly spirit (and they went on to achieve more miracles in the subsequent three seasons too).

Nicky Johns, John Humphrey, Mark Reid, John Pender, Steve Thompson, Mark Aizlewood, George Shipley, Robert Lee, Mark Stuart, John Pearson, Mike Flanagan.

This current side have got a long way to go to match that lot.
  • Options
    I think the team that one the play offs are very dear to my heart - they had players who would sweat blood for the cause and were a team. The best Charlton side was 2003 prior to us selling Parker - that was a class side and genuinely in the top four in the Country for a short period.

This side cannot be compared to that one yet but I do see similarities with the clas of 98. They have a great team spirit and play for each other. I think they could develop into my favourites but they will have their work cut out when you think of Robbo, Newts, Rufus, Jonah, Superclive etc...
  • Options
    I'm biased to the teams of the 90s purely because that was when I attended the most games, home and away. Play off squad was the icing on a particularly satisfying cake.
  • Options

This would be the best side and would definitely require consideration (we went on to finish 7th that season), but I suspect that there were fewer favourites in that team than we have had over the years. I think I would, personally, struggle to have a favourite team without Rufus in it and he didn't play at all that season.

As much as I like our current team, and some of them may well go on to be great footballers, I doubt that many of them would have got into the first eleven in either of the two promotion sides. The team that won the First Division in 2000, and the team that went on that ten game run at the end of the 1997/98 season were, I believe, better players than we have now. They were, in fact, better than everything else out of the Premier League at the time.

I think the shocking time we've had over the five seasons, before the last one, has made us more appreciative of what we have. There is no doubt that I am as happy with the football as I have been for years, but I think none of the current team would make my all time favourite yet. I love Chris Solly, but both Danny Mills and Luke Young were full England internationals. I know Solly is young and will improve, but he has a long way to go.
    Just to remind you the point of this discussion was to name your FAVORITE all time Charlton team. It doesn't necessarily have to be the best side we've ever put out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The team that beat Arsenal at the Library with Jensen and Parker et al.

Despite that, I am still fond of the team that came third in 1969. Everyone from my generation can still name that team.

This current outfit has much to like too.
  • Options
    Loved mid 70's Hales, Flanagan, Paddy, Peacock etc.

Really rate this lot and think they could surprise us this season
  • Options
    this current side is making many optimistic for the future, and I am one of those that is again proud to be a Charlton fan after a few dire years. But none of our current 11 would be in a best Charlton side of the last 10 years. We have to remember who the opposition was. Not trying to be negative just realisitc, we are 2 games into the second tier. These players romped home last year - but it was the third tier. Players like Morrison are not as good as players like Rufus, Costa even Diawara.
  • Options

Despite that, I am still fond of the team that came third in 1969. Everyone from my generation can still name that team.

This.

• Options

this current side is making many optimistic for the future, and I am one of those that is again proud to be a Charlton fan after a few dire years. But none of our current 11 would be in a best Charlton side of the last 10 years. We have to remember who the opposition was. Not trying to be negative just realisitc, we are 2 games into the second tier. These players romped home last year - but it was the third tier. Players like Morrison are not as good as players like Rufus, Costa even Diawara.

I'll say it again. I'm not talking about the BEST Charlton team of the last 10 years. I'm talking about your FAVORITE! ;-)
  • Options
    Favorite as in the characters which made up the team, their passion for the shirt and rapport with the fans for example.
  • Options
    yer I no I was just referring to some posts. My fav team is the one that played with Di Canio it, was most enjoyable season for me.
  • Options
    The
    Stone said:

The team that beat Chelsea 4-2 on Boxing day.

This is around the time that I first got a season ticket so it's always going to be a special team for me. Was that the same season that freidel equalised for Blackburn in stoppage time and then Claus went and won it for us?
  • Options
    Goodness me, no. Duff, Sewell, Hewie, Tocknell, Hinton, Bailey, Lawrie, Matthews, Leary, Edwards, Kinsey
  • Options
    Ross_cafc said:

The

Stone said:

The team that beat Chelsea 4-2 on Boxing day.

This is around the time that I first got a season ticket so it's always going to be a special team for me. Was that the same season that freidel equalised for Blackburn in stoppage time and then Claus went and won it for us?

I think so, 03-04? missed Jensens goal had already left!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Those later Curbishley PL teams may have had excellent players, but something to me was different about them, they seemed more 'normal PL footballer' rather than the die hard players who got us up in the first place, who appreciated and loved the club. Rommedahl for example may have been a better player than Johnny Robinson, but somehow it didn't seem as special with him in the team.

It's similar to the love Stoke fans have for Ricardo Fuller, being loved as a legend is more than just being a good footballer. I'm sure Arsenal fans got a warm feeling when someone like Ray Parlour scored that wonder goal in the cup final, as he seemed more 'one of them'.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    http://shop.cafc.co.uk/squaddisplay.ink?team=p&season=03/04&seasonl=2003/2004 ( in my time anyway, i started going during 2001/2002 season, I was 6 then.
  • Options
    Felt a bit sorry for Andy Hunt when this thread appeared as he scored 20+ goals to help us get promoted yet most plumped for Yann out of the two.
  • Options

Every Charlton team is my favourite. Even the shitty ones.

Have to agree with you on that one, doesn't really matter who plays it's just 11 red shirts to me.
  • Options

Every Charlton team is my favourite. Even the shitty ones.

Have to agree with you on that one, doesn't really matter who plays it's just 11 red shirts to me.
    This
  • Options
    How about some of these?

Kiely, Young, Fish, Costa, Hreidarsson, Kishishev, Holland, Jensen, Parker, Di Canio, Bartlett during the era that Konchesky was so surplus to requirements that he was loaned to Spurs!
  • Options
    What is great about the current team is that they all give 100% and compared to some of the squads in this division may not be as good, but they have clearly demonstrated that they will give everything. This hadn't always been the case in previous seasons up until last seasons new squad being assembled, and especially when we were playing so many loan players as happened during the really dark days. So yes, great to have a committed group of players who care and give everything, but unfortunately not the favourite ever squad at the moment, although that could change if they go on to emulate the 97 - 98 squad who were similar in that they cared and gave everything despite maybe not being the best squad in the division at the time. There were some great teams in the Prem years who gave us some marvellous memories who also musn't be forgotton. Prem highlight for me Arsenal 2 Charlton 4 Nov 2001
  • Options
    I'm far to nostalgic so the forward line up of Paddy, Flanagan and Killer will take some beating
  • Options
    It is probably an illusion but I certainly feel I can identify with this lot more than at any time since Curbs went.

The seventies lot I remember fondly as I knew / met some of them at the time.
  • Options
    Shrew said:

I'm far to nostalgic so the forward line up of Paddy, Flanagan and Killer will take some beating

Yes, and add a veteran Peacock to that - it was very decent - shame the defence was pants though!