Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is the current Charlton team your favorite ever?

13»

Comments

• Options

Incidentally here's mine...
    Ilic
    Powell
    Solly
    Rufus
    Brown
    Cort or Youds (undecided)
    Newton
    Jackson
    Robinson
    Kinsella
    Kermorgant
    Mendonca

5 defenders mmmm 12 on the pitch
  • Options
    Johns

Campbell D
    Berry
    Rufus
    Powell Chris

Powell Colin
    Kishishev
    Gritt
    Glover

Hales
    Firmani

A team of personal favourites during my time supporting rather than "best" in any form. If I was to do it next week there would almost certainly be some changes
  • Options

The team that won promotion in 1985/86 despite leaving The Valley mid-season was awesome, in terms of quality and particularly spirit (and they went on to achieve more miracles in the subsequent three seasons too).

Nicky Johns, John Humphrey, Mark Reid, John Pender, Steve Thompson, Mark Aizlewood, George Shipley, Robert Lee, Mark Stuart, John Pearson, Mike Flanagan.

This current side have got a long way to go to match that lot.

Showing my age here, but I mostly agree with NYA, although I'd ditch Flanagan for Jim Melrose. And that's despite the fact that Stuart used to drive me potty at the time, with his tendency to beat 3 defenders then run straight into the 4th one and lose the ball.
  • Options

Definitely the teams of the 60s. Proper football, everyone enjoying themselves. Big crowds and little trouble. I have enjoyed the other eras, no doubt, but definitely enjoyed the 60s the most.

ho ho, how our memories wash away the bad and leave us with the good.

Unfortunately in my case there are some memories I cant wash away. It is the first game of the season in the late 60s. We are home to the Wall. I am at the front of the Covered End looking behind me in bafflement at a huge mass of Wall where our choir should be. Admittedly a lot of them are kids since I pick out a few faces from school. But they are all dressed in black Herringtons, 501's held up by red braces, and matching cherry red boots. They are not waving rattles. They are singing "Oh there won't be many goin' 'ome". On the pitch, as usual, we capitulate, 3-4, but not as close as it sounds. Weller and Possee running riot.

You're welcome to the 60's. I just wish I could forget them.

I think the 98 and 2000 teams led by Mark Kinsella get my vote, followed by the Parker-Jensen-di Canio unit, and the 91 and 86 teams.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Going by players that I saw.

Kiely

M Reid
    Costa
    Rufus
    Humphrey

M Stuart
    Jensen
    Parker
    R Lee

Mendonca
    Melrose

You could probably pick a better 11.

Allan Simonsen and Darren Bent should be there to be fair, just wanted to be different :)
  • Options
    No Franck Nouble?
  • Options
    I think that the team that took the field when I first started watching Charlton holds a special place in my heart. For me it was the team of 94/95 I think. The 3-3 draw in the Coca-Cola cup was still one of my favourite ever Charlton matches. Not the most talented but great to watch.

I could be wrong with a few but I think

Salmon

Minto
    Rufus
    Balmer
    Brown

Robinson
    Bowyer
    Jones
    Newton

Leaburn
    Nelson

For quality, I think the Prem team of 03/04 was the best. Certainly up until christmas. Also I remember the 3-5-2 with Smertin and Murphy (05/06?) being pretty useful.

• Options
    Lennies promotion team
  • Options
    Stebo said:

-----------------Kiely-----------
    Solly----Rufus---morrison---Powell
    Newton-----kinsella---Parker----robbo
    ------super clive-------Bent-------

Changed it for you pal
  • Options
    Tees and Treacy, Arthur Horsfield, Graham Moore - you youngsters missed the really great days
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    this team is like having 11 John Robinson's on the pitch, all fully committed but not always the most skillful, hopefully they will improve and be like 11 Chris Powells.

this is written while under the influence of drugs as I am recovering in hospital after an operation this morning - sheer bliss :)
  • Options

this team is like having 11 John Robinson's on the pitch, all fully committed but not always the most skillful, hopefully they will improve and be like 11 Chris Powells.

this is written while under the influence of drugs as I am recovering in hospital after an operation this morning - sheer bliss :)

Hope you recover well Lancs

• Options

Get well soon Lancs.