Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"Big name" signings of the past

Comments

• Options
    Bwp at the time?
  • Options
    Colin Walsh
  • Options
    I'm sure Mark Fish was quite a catch at the time if you excuse the pun
  • Options

I'm sure Mark Fish was quite a catch at the time if you excuse the pun

Which we don't!

• Options
    I apologise then in that plaice
  • Options
    ^^ Haha! Love it.

• Options
    I'm aware that I'm almost certainly skate-ing on thin ice now
  • Options
    Branching off from 'big name signings' you got Matt holland, Scott Carson, Andy reid, Primus and mills in the championship.
  • Options
    Jorge Costa as he brought a lot to the club, including the superb "Young Fish Costa Fortune" back four and the book, "From Portacabins to Porto Captain" :-)
  • Options
    Some oldie ones: Getting Firmani back; Cliff Holton; Graham Moore, Ray Crawford........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you count mark fish you should prob count Jensen.
  • Options
    Di Canio was another great signing and motivated the team - he even got Lisbie to go out and get a hat trick against the mighty Liverpool!
  • Options
    Even though we didn't realise at the time I think Diawara was a big signing
    - since he returned to France I don't think he has failed to play in the Champions League

Scott Carson was immense for his one year with us
  • Options
    A long does the name have to be for it to be classified as big?
  • Options

A long does the name have to be for it to be classified as big?

substantially long
  • Options
    IN ORDER OF POSITIONS....
    GK: Scott Carson
    DF: Luke Young
    DF: Jorge Costa
    DF: Mark Fish
    DF: Chris Powell
    MD: Danny Murphy
    MD: John Barnes (useless though) So i'd replace him with Graham Stuart
    MD: Claus Jensen
    MD: Jesper Blomsvqist
    FWD: Allan Simenson
    FWD: Jason Euell (because he was a record siging)

Of course these are the best to my memory of players that were sigings that made me say to my non-charlton supproting mates 'weve signed ..... and thier reaction being 'wow thats a good signing for you'....bearing in mind most of my non-charlton pals are Arsenal, Man U, Tottenham and Chelsea.

Of course with the place where we are with Charlton today...id say that Ricardo Fuller is a massive siging for us and other recent ones would have been BWP, Kerm, Morrison, Wiggns.

Hopefully there will be plenty more in the years to come as well where 'liilte old Charlton' get the breaking news scroll on sky sports news.
  • Options
    I remember being excited for Smertin... and he was pretty good for us as well
  • Options
    Marcus bent
  • Options

I remember being excited for Smertin... and he was pretty good for us as well

he was quality
  • Options
    Darren Bent must class as a big name signing, he was pretty well known at the time and we took the plunge to see if he could score regularly at the highest level
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was really excited about signing Traore and any international player we signed in the premier years.
  • Options
    Jonathan johanson, big money signing from Glasgow Rangers and Sean Bartlett, the then South African captain. Both players had an immediate impact. Actually sO did Jeffers with his debut brace...
  • Options
    Todorov was also a big deal as we had just fallen into the Championship where he'd scored 26 goals for Pompey when they won the First Division in 2003. He was crocked, as it happens, but if he'd not been he could have been a big player for us that season.
  • Options
    I think the majority of CAFC fans (although maybe not on here) would not have heard of many of our 25+ signings last season - hard therefore to earmark them a "massive"
  • Options
    Paul Went in 1967. £27,500 from Leyton Orient was our record signing at the time and for many years after.
  • Options
    Thinking back it was just unbelievable when we signed Simonsen.What was he thinking.
    Costa,Di Canio and co were more understandable as we were in the Premiership.
  • Options
    Was very excited when Rommedahl signed, having earlier seen him play for Denmark. We know how that turned out..
  • Options
    Simmo has to be the stand-out one. He did, after all, come from Barcelona and had been voted European footballer of year 5 years earlier (how many of those have we signed?)

I'm not sure Jorge Costa was. I don't think many people knew who he was when he signed. He soon put that right, though, starting out with that memorable press conference before his debut at Stamford Bridge where he coolly and factually answered he question about facing Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink by pointing out that JFH had never scored against him.
  • Options
    More people had heard of Zheng Zhi than any player we have signed before or since.

So he was a big name signing and he was an ok player
  • Options
    Bradley Allen was a big signing at the time and he was a great little player but was injury prone before he got him. Not sure he would rank as a "Past the sell by date" though.