Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paralympics

Comments

• David Weir was brilliant! I'm loving the Paralympics just as much as the Olympics. I still don't like Channel Four's coverage though, nowhere near as slick as the BBC. They are concentrating on too few sports, why haven't they been showing any rowing?
  • Just on the DLR home from the stadium, what a night, David Weir is a legend
  • On the Pistorius subject - Pistorius won his heat in a world record time. The final was not won in a world record time (except for Fourie, who was 4th, in his category)
    If Pistorius had run his heat time in the final he would have won regardless - he was beaten by a quicker bloke on the night. Sadly that to me makes him a bit of a sore loser on this occasion which is sad because hes been a brilliant competitor throughout his career.

David Weir - what a fantastic win in a fantastic race !!
  • David Weir was brilliant! I'm loving the Paralympics just as much as the Olympics. I still don't like Channel Four's coverage though, nowhere near as slick as the BBC. They are concentrating on too few sports, why haven't they been showing any rowing?

they did, this afternoon.
  • I think what Pistorius is saying is that the rule about what length blades can be used is wrong, and that he's been saying it for a while.

Bit like when we all said that we needed goal-line tech after (and before) Lampard's 'goal' vs Germany was disallowed.
  • Fantastic night at the Olympic stadium. Incredible noise when Weir won! Had a great time.
  • Watch "The Best of Men" on BBC2 at ten tonight. Brilliant and moving drama about the origins of the Paralympics.

Great shout, what a great film, truly inspiring
  • Fantastic night at the Olympic stadium. Incredible noise when Weir won! Had a great time.

Great night - but why did a quarter of the crowd leave after the Pistorious race - surely they knew the David Weir race was coming up ?
  • Off to the athletics tonight with 2 of the grandkids.

Can't wait !
  • I agree it has been terrific. It is great to see the real joy on many of the Paralympinas faces as they are roared on by capacity crowds. The racing can sometimes be more unpredicatable than the Olympics too which I think adds to the drama.

C4 coverage has been mixed - presenters taking a bit to much of the time for my liking - missed the 5 a-side blind football on Friday because I was at work and couldn't find highlights anywhere - Goal ball feature explained the game then showed about 10 seconds of action which was incredibly poor!

The hope is that the disabled children and young people who are inspired by these games are encouraged if they tentatively explore what options are open to them. That should be the real test and as a country we should be striving to beeven stronger than we are now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Also it's positive that the children that have watched on telly or been to these games now wont look upon disabled people in the way that past generations possibly have done. Probably by no fault of their own in most cases but just because issues were kept hidden from the mainstream as if they were upsetting to others, people were less aware or understanding. The high profile of the paralympics has definitely gone some way to making people feel less 'awkward' or no longer 'feel sorry for' these amazing human beings.
  • Off to the Dressage at Greenwich Park again tomorrow & taking the little'un to see the horses.

It'll be interesting to compare my Olympics Dressage experience to the Paralympics one...
  • Have C4 shown any Goalball yet?
  • Yes but you might have gone to the loo and missed it!

• Have you tried the other channels such as More 4 and 4hd ?
  • Have C4 shown any Goalball yet?

haven't seen any on there yet myself, but going to see it live on wednesday so not too fussed. The feeds online help you see more but they're showing football and basketball at the moment with the channel 4 dipping in and out of all of them.

• F-Blocker said:

Off to the Dressage at Greenwich Park again tomorrow & taking the little'un to see the horses.

It'll be interesting to compare my Olympics Dressage experience to the Paralympics one...

Me to, weather looks good I think.

• Went to the paralympics saturday night and although i'm supportive of it and think both the olympics and paralympics has given a real boost to the feel good factor of being British, i was reminded exactly why i haven't been to an athletics event since i was a kid in the late 70's - it's just so bloody boring no matter how much music they play, how many mexican waves there are and how many times the games makers tell you to smile. Mind you, i find watching cricket just as bad.
  • Went to the paralympics saturday night and although i'm supportive of it and think both the olympics and paralympics has given a real boost to the feel good factor of being British, i was reminded exactly why i haven't been to an athletics event since i was a kid in the late 70's - it's just so bloody boring no matter how much music they play, how many mexican waves there are and how many times the games makers tell you to smile. Mind you, i find watching cricket just as bad.

Why did you apply for tickets in the first place when you 'knew' it was going to be boring? Someone else could have gone who appreciates athletics.
  • because he is supportive of it and may have taken others that were going to enjoy it?

As frustrating as it is that he didn't enjoy it, when others thought that night was bloody brilliant, you can't make everyone feel the same about everything. a couple in front of me, came in at 8.30pm and left at 9.30pm. bonkers behaviour in my opinion but I guess they had their reasons.
  • Sponsored links:

Why did you apply for tickets in the first place when you 'knew' it was going to be boring? Someone else could have gone who appreciates athletics.
    Took the family - i'm not moaning and didn't know i wasn't going to enjoy it, just stating my experience. Athletics is clearly a bit of a dull thing to watch for most, otherwise it wouldn't struggle for crowds all year round. My eldest (12) was gagging to go by 9.15 but you couldn't drag him out of the valley before the last whistle even if we were losing heavily.
  • BDLBDL
    edited September 2012
    Steve Adamson (@sadamson84 on twitter) has a couple of £20 swimming tickets for tomorrow morning, he's been let down by a couple of "friends".

Tweet him if you're interested.
  • george osborne got a good reception while presenting medals today... 80,000 giving him a good boooing, classic!

UP THE CROWD!!!
  • Haven't really got into the Paralympics. Might be something to do with the coverage - some of the the presenters are pretty poor and those bloody adverts every ten minutes!

Glad it's all going well though.

Incidentally, I saw that Afghanistan were near the top of the medals table. How come - anyone know?
  • years of war, land mines and the taliban spring to mind offy if you catch my drift?
  • bloodnut said:

years of war, land mines and the taliban spring to mind offy if you catch my drift?

Yeah, of course. but how come such an undeveloped country with barely a pot to piss in can afford to train athletes and send them over to compete, I spose was more my question.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riR_SyhvB6s&feature=youtu.be that has got to be the best table tennis shot ever seen
  • The last leg with Adam Hills. Only saw a few minutes of this show this evening. Looked good.
  • edited September 2012
    bloodnut said:

george osborne got a good reception while presenting medals today... 80,000 giving him a good boooing, classic!

UP THE CROWD!!!

Hmm...Osborne may be part of one of the most inept governments we've ever seen IMHO but not sure it's an appropriate thing to do at a medal ceremony. Could be the Atos thing coming through.

Brown on the other hand was cheered in the aquatic ctr. Bit of a turn up eh!