Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paralympics

Comments

• Johnie Peacock top fella--------love the ear studs
  • http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.co.uk/

This blog (on the 5th September) explains the ticket situation, basically they deliberately didn't sell all the tickets for many venues
  • Was at the stadium last night and what a night it was.

The atmoshpere was brilliant and no one can pass up the chance to belt out God Save The Queen three times. Just feel sorry for the people around me having to listen to the tone deaf drone I produce :)

The atmoshpere was brilliant and no one can pass up the chance to belt out God Save The Queen three times. Just feel sorry for the people around me having to listen to the tone deaf drone I produce :)

You certainly chose a good night to go. I wish I could have been there but it was pretty good just watching on TV. All the Paralympians have been wonderful whether they have won a medal or not. I hope they become role models for children today as what an example of human achievement they set.
  • http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.co.uk/

This blog (on the 5th September) explains the ticket situation, basically they deliberately didn't sell all the tickets for many venues

thanks for the link. makes me not feel like I'm going mad with my ticket grumbles.
  • one of the track runs last night (100M or 200M) the guy who won the bronze was fantastic went mad.

You certainly chose a good night to go. I wish I could have been there but it was pretty good just watching on TV. All the Paralympians have been wonderful whether they have won a medal or not. I hope they become role models for children today as what an example of human achievement they set.
    I don't want to use this thread as a excuse to have a pop at footballers as they are not all the same, I do recognise that….BUT (you knew it was coming didn't you...)…. it is clear that on the whole the athletes interviewed, as well as being far more eloquent, seem to have a different attitude and are coming across really, really well. He’s come in for some stick recently but look at the way Pistorius spoke about Peacock last night and he seemed genuinely pleased for the lad for example.

Whether it is because they have a very positive outlook on life or not I don’t know but there is a noticeable difference to me in the way that our paralympians engage with the public. I don’t have kids but if I did I’d much rather they held up Hannah Cockcroft or Ellie Simmonds as a role model than the stereotypical monosyllabic young footballer.

Odd really as I know that many, many footballers not only receive media training but also do loads of community/charity work that doesn’t get the recognition it could.
  • anyone just get an email about their tickets for 7 a side football on the 9th and how you can't access certain gates? We haven't got any tickets for that but logged into my account and it is experiencing a 'busy period' probably everyone that just got an email telling them that they have tickets for an event that they didn't know they have! they sent another email out by mistake last week.

I have not sen that and I have tickets for 8.30 7 a side on the 9th.

hmmm
  • imagine the stick someone like Rooney would get if he said ''ah im really happy for man city/Italy for winning tonights game. thoroughly deserved!''

different sports. different worlds.
  • I don't think it needs to go that far, but the insistence by the fast majority of managers and players that they lost, not because an opponent played well, but because of injuries, form, officials, the weather, the alignment of the stars, or one of another mindless excuses got old about 10 years ago Has Fergie congratulated an opponent is the last 30 years, even grudgingly? I've heard some back-handed compliments, that are more digs at the officials or specific opponents than actual compliments. The dominant teams in a league set the tone, and the tone of the premiership from it's inception has been one where you don't congratulate anybody, you make weasel-worded excuses and complaints. Your players dive and cheat and chase the ref, and such a thing as fair play is scorned, derided and avoided at all costs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Kap10 said:

anyone just get an email about their tickets for 7 a side football on the 9th and how you can't access certain gates? We haven't got any tickets for that but logged into my account and it is experiencing a 'busy period' probably everyone that just got an email telling them that they have tickets for an event that they didn't know they have! they sent another email out by mistake last week.

I have not sen that and I have tickets for 8.30 7 a side on the 9th.

hmmm
    got 2 emails last night apologising for the mistake...!
  • Went and saw the Athletics this morning..the Javelin world record was broken something like 7 times in one round.
  • I don't think it needs to go that far, but the insistence by the fast majority of managers and players that they lost, not because an opponent played well, but because of injuries, form, officials, the weather, the alignment of the stars, or one of another mindless excuses got old about 10 years ago Has Fergie congratulated an opponent is the last 30 years, even grudgingly? I've heard some back-handed compliments, that are more digs at the officials or specific opponents than actual compliments. The dominant teams in a league set the tone, and the tone of the premiership from it's inception has been one where you don't congratulate anybody, you make weasel-worded excuses and complaints. Your players dive and cheat and chase the ref, and such a thing as fair play is scorned, derided and avoided at all costs.

Fergie is generous with smaller teams (i.e. those which aren't a threat at the top).

One difference with football, is that each game is part of a long season, so there's psycological battles to be won for the next games, whereas at the Olympics and Paralympics the event is everything, there's no point trying to score mental points for an event 4 year away.
  • Brother (left) is the Olympic BDL tonight.

• Went up to Brands Hatch yesterday in the lovely sunshine and watched the races. Great to meet and speak to people and stewards. David Stone won as well! Off to see the marathons today. Come on Dave Weir! I just don't want this fantastic summer to end. So proud of the athletes in both olympics and paralympics. But as has been said many times, the volunteers are fanatastic and need their own special award ceremonies in my eyes! Thank you to them all.
  • edited September 2012
    Maybe one of our american posters can confirm this but apparently NBC, which is the US host broadcaster, has shown a TOTAL of 5:30 hours of the games.

I know track & field is very much the poor relation over there but that really is taking the pee. That's about the same coverage a college football game gets so maybe we should be thankful for Channel 4 after all!

I may be extrapolating like mad but is this reflective of a society obsessed with appearance and they simply can't cope with the clear differences of those competing to thier Sports Illustrated ideal?
  • There was plenty USA support at the games though mate

So I think it's more to do with the broadcasters
  • There was a 4 star General at Woolwich who was over here to review and assist with the USA team (and ex Service people) he was asked about the limited coverage by the media in the USA and he said he wasnt aware it was that poor and was very disappointed as he felt it wasnt in touch with the care and concerns of the American public.

So no live coverage of the marathon today- whats all that about ?
  • your brother been on creatine jt?
  • No feed supplied from the IPC for broadcasters.

David Weir, what a complete and utter legend this Paralympics.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just back from the marathons and what a day! We were on the embankment which meant you saw them 6 times because of the loops in the course. People were great and supported everyone as they need it in this heat, many also stayed to help the stragglers by cheering them home. So pleased for Weir and Woods but why, oh why was this not televised!
  • Couldn't get into watching the Paralympics , I thought I was going to enjoy it but it just didn't do it for me
  • Great closing ceremony! I'm going to miss the Olympics/Paralympics now they're over, it has been a great summer of sport.
  • edited September 2012

Great closing ceremony! I'm going to miss the Olympics/Paralympics now they're over, it has been a great summer of sport.

It had its good points, but I felt as if I was hoodwinked into watching a Coldplay concert. Far too much of them; not enough variety. You're right though - brilliant summer of sport.

• Not a great fan of Coldplay but just loved the atmosphere. I have loved the summer of great athletes and characters. I wonder if football can possibly follow that? I feel humbled and inspired by the paralypians and wish that footballers in the Premier could get a reality check watching such people. Roll on the Commonwealth games and Rio. I only hope someone can harness the potential for good that the volunteers provided. Boris, how about charity work or work at future venues? Keep it alive.
  • edited September 2012
    I think it has been a proud time for our country. I am though just bowled over by the paralympian spirit.

Just watching the paralympic athletes going for it, especially those who have lost limbs, I am struck by the thought that these are not disabled human beings, they are super-human for what they achieve.

Douglas Bader was my boyhood hero. A man who overcame his loss of legs and went on to become a fighter ace. He started something when walking on artificial legs unaided was considered almost impossible. It has taken many years to get to the stage now where you have runners like Johnny Peacock doing the 100 metre dash in less than 11 seconds.

It makes me feel very humble and also determined not to moan about my lot.

• Gasgit said:

Couldn't get into watching the Paralympics , I thought I was going to enjoy it but it just didn't do it for me

I'm the opposite never thought I would get into it but absolutely loved it. Saw GB secure 7th place in 7 a side cerebral palsy football today beating a poor USA team 3-1.

Loved Ellie, Tom, Sarah, David et al

• Thats strange about Badar, i was telling a young Aussie guy about him last week and im sure he never believed me.Over the weekend going over through some boxes in the shed i found the book i was looking for "Reach for the Sky" which is on his desk as i type this !
    Also a great film.
  • Thats strange about Badar, i was telling a young Aussie guy about him last week and im sure he never believed me.Over the weekend going over through some boxes in the shed i found the book i was looking for "Reach for the Sky" which is on his desk as i type this !
    Also a great film.

I have the great man's signature. There is a Douglas Bader Center near Norwich which caters for young people with disabilities. My lad (bless him) was at school recently and one of the staff mentioned that they worked there part-time. She asked the children if they knew who Douglas Bader was and my son was the only one who did and he proceeded to tell his classmates all about him.

Bader was a difficult man but an inspirational leader of men and a role model of his time for amputees and the disabled. The paralympians like Weir, Pistorius, Peacock, Simmonds and the like will have the same affect. Inspiring a new generation.
  • What they should have done was sell initial tickets to relevant sports bodies/friends and families ofathletes competing. They would be guaranteed attendees and provide great support. Also, stipulate that late attendees will be replaced with walk in customers.

Overall though I do think the Paralympics was a triumph. One minor niggles- couldn't they lay a new football pitch rather than use the Olympics hockey one with badly blanked out lines. Stood out because everything else was so professional.

The Olympics and Paralympics has been a real feast of sport and I will certainly miss it. It is great that we hold up Ellie Simmonds and David Weir next to Mo Farah and Jess Ennis. They are equally impressive.

In the Paralympics we seemed just a bit short in the team sports. Picked up subtle hints that the basketball was not well coached and probably a sport we should have done better at. The othere we were relatively new to and duid well. Would be good to see a bit of investment in these so we are stronger in RIO.