Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

606 On 5Live

It's reached new depths now. Having already had a host of truly awful presenters like Littlejohn, Baker and quite unbelievably David Mellor, the BBC have really scraped the bottom of the barrel. Saturday night’s show is now co-presented by Robbie Savage and Johnny Vaughn! I heard a bit last night but had to switch off. The show was just let's see who can interrupt the caller the most. Savage to make his ridiculous "I've played in the Prem so I know everything" statements and Vaughn's futile attempts at humour.
Why have they done this? Why can't we just have one decent journo? There are some at the BBC but they must be wondering why they are there?
Anyway, I thought the BBC were supposed to be cutting costs? Vaughn must be a new salary?

Comments

• Options
    Quite like this show, but by the sounds of that I'm glad I missed that one.
  • Options
    At present, though it is hard to believe, talkSPORT coverage of football is more informative and constructive than the BBC. Savage, Vaughan, Spoony, Roberts are all awful. One good thing .. Harry on MOTD .. brilliant from a man who 'knows the game'
  • Options

At present, though it is hard to believe, talkSPORT coverage of football is more informative and constructive than the BBC. Savage, Vaughan, Spoony, Roberts are all awful. One good thing .. Harry on MOTD .. brilliant from a man who 'knows the game'

Yes but Talksport has Stan Collymore and he's a prize pillock.
  • Options

Yes but Talksport has Stan Collymore and he's a prize pillock.
    True .. but ignore him SHOUTING and he is pretty knowledgable
  • Options

One good thing .. Harry on MOTD .. brilliant from a man who 'knows the game'

???

Harry (after telling Lineker that he could be objective about Spurs now) "They'll finish top 4, no problem"

Bloke's a fool and a fraud.
  • Options
    Had it on in the car on the way home from Nottingham last night and switched over to talk sport after 10 minutes. I used to enjoy 606 and 5 live but not anymore
  • Options
    RobbieT said:

???

Harry (after telling Lineker that he could be objective about Spurs now) "They'll finish top 4, no problem"

He's 'contractly obliged' to talk up Spurs' chances otherwise Levy will not pay his compo. :->
  • Options
    Listened to it on way home - now a pathetic programme "Doc" Savage, pleeaassee!
  • Options
    RobbieT said:

???

Yeah that was a ridiculous statement 2Spurs will finish 4th no problem" even though they've made an awful start to the season and you've got arsenal, l'pool, newcastle and everton all battling out for it spurs don't look much better than anyone of those teams
  • Options
    Somehow Savage's agent seems to have persuaded the BBC that he's the man they need to boost ratings and he pops up everywhere: he'll be doing Question Time next.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2012
    March51 said:

Somehow Savage's agent seems to have persuaded the BBC that he's the man they need to boost ratings and he pops up everywhere: he'll be doing Question Time next.

It's the Beeb 'getting down with the kids and the "everyman" '. I'm old fashioned enough to expect the BBC to act and broadcast in a far more mature manner and to set an example in standards of speech and manners. I suspect that the BBC Radio 5 and TV1 has been taken over by a bunch of oiks, druggies and metro luvvies who think that people like Savage are cutting edge and controversial when in reality he is a narcistitic and useless twerp.
  • Options
    Had it on last week. Absurd. Vaughn is such a self important p***k !
  • Options
    The BBC seems to go out of its way to hire annoying commentators or over payed smug presenters. I used to enjoy radio 5 commentaries but tired of Alan Green to the point that I won't listen to radio 5 any more.
  • Options
    Vaughan had his time with Denise and KB on that morning show, and now he just seems to ruin everything!
    Great show about the mud larks up and down the Thames is ruined by this goon.
  • Options
    Heard this last week and thought it was surely only a cover week......incredible that these 2 have got the full time gig.

Last seasons shows with Chappers and Jason Roberts I thought were some of the best ever.
  • Options
    Think he was only covering, he said at the end of yesterdays show that it was his last week.

Bloody awful, don't mind Savage but Vaughan just asked every caller which manager they would most like to be their Dad and kept playing the Doc Savage link...
  • Options
    We too listened on the way home from Nottingham - what a cr*p programme it's become !

Really used to look forward to tuning in on the way back from away games , especially when Danny Baker was in charge but it's diabolical these days ! Robbie should have done what Brucie said..."keeeeep on dancing".....

Last night they even resorted to asking callers which football manager they'd choose to be their daddy ! Pathetic !

Except for the caller from Abbey Wood who answered" Chris Powell, of course" !
  • Options
    We too listened on the way home from Nottingham - what a cr*p programme it's become !

Really used to look forward to tuning in on the way back from away games , especially when Danny Baker was in charge but it's diabolical these days ! Robbie should have done what Brucie said..."keeeeep on dancing".....

Last night they even resorted to asking callers which football manager they'd choose to be their daddy ! Pathetic !

Except for the caller from Abbey Wood who answered" Chris Powell, of course" !
  • Options
    Annoyed you so much you said it twice eh fanny
  • Options
    Lol, nla.

Think it was called the fickle finger of fate on a US tv programme many moons ago before you were even thought of !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes Fanny, Rowan & Martin's Laugh-in (I looked it up in my Funk and Wagnall).
  • Options
    Ain't Got a clue what you blue rinsers are on about

8+)
  • Options
    Was great when Danny Baker invented it as something different but now the same as every other football phone in.

DB was back on five on Saturday morning so hoping he'll be back on 94.9 soon.
  • Options
    This is part of the bigger pattern of the BBC completing losing the plot in its coverage of mainstream sport (football, cricket and rugby union).

Savage is an ignorant poseur and ego-maniac who (unlike millions of license-paying footy fans) enjoys the sound of his own voice.

His agent should focus on securing him appearances on women's daytime TV and dancing programmes.

He makes me cringe and I stopped listening as soon as he started shouting over callers with his ill conceived opinions.

The BBC should consider sponsoring him to so some GCSE's before letting him loose on national radio.
  • Options
    Really relieved to see how many agree, primarily about what a self-obsessed, juvenile prick Savage is, but also about how Vaughan dragged the show down to new depths. If they really want to try a Soccer AM - style "funny" approach, why not just launch a new show altogether and leave this in the hands of a presenter who is at least qualified as a knowledgeable supporter, if not as a player at a high level.

That's it - I'm writing to Points of View! (no, perhaps not).
  • Options
    The Secret Footballer's book is a good read. He mentions some good quips on the pitch in the heat of the battle. However he says that Savage just had one form of put down which was to tell other players how much he earned all the time.
    I'm paraphrasing but he says of Savage...'shit footballer, shit dancer, shit pundit.'
  • Options
    So Danny Baker invented the Football Phone-In? Lol! I've heard it all now.
  • Options
    RobbieT said:

Think you misread the comment

Invented it as
  • Options
    Didn't mind Savage when he first started on 606 but he had the mild mannered Chappers presenting with him to moderate his behavior a bit and tell him to of when he started getting unnecessarily rude or opinionated.

Listened last week and found that Vaughan (who has to be one of the least funny 'funny men' in Britain) was just shouting over the top of callers and egging Savage on to be as gobby as possible.

I won't be listening again until Vaughan and ideally Savage have gone.

When you listen to the quality of punditry to be found in The Football Ramble podcast, which is just 4 enthusiastic football fans with various links to the media, but no professional experience in football it puts 95% of professional pundits to shame. The whole industry needs an overhaul.
  • Options
    RobbieT said:

Danny Baker invented 606. Before him there was no 606, and frankly, after him there has been no 606. From the moment Mellor took over, the format had to change because no-one (and I really mean no-one) can do what Baker can do. Nothing that has ever come since has been true to the original format, nothing that has come since has been anything other than dull. The only similarities between Baker's original and the shyte that is broadcast now are the title and the fact that it's a phone in show.