Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sir Alex Ferguson - The Future

Sir Alex is without much argument he greatest British manager ever and the dominance of Manchester United as the top British team and one of the biggest clubs in the world is in great part down to him. Ferguson will be 71 on the final day of this year and I wonder how much longer Manchester United will have Sir Alex as their manager. For a good few years it looked to me as if a kind of succession process was being put in place with the appointment of Carlos Queiroz but that policy is seemingly redundant at Old Trafford. When the great man finally does call it a day what will the short, mid and long term future of United be and who will be the next man for the job ? Will Alex ride off into the sunset or will he hang like a cloud over The Theatre of Dreams like the previous knight Sir Matt Busby. I think this will when it finally happens be one of the most facinating spectator sports that British football has ever seen. I would be interested to see what the CL collective has to say on the subject.

Comments

• Options
    Whatever happens it will be interesting!!!!!

There have been so many 'reports' of who will take over.... Giggs, Solskjær, at one point Keane and even Bruce. I personally think that Moyes has a big shout for the job, he's doing a great job at Everton on a tight budjet and always improves. Then there is the fact they are both Scots and seem to have a respect for each other. The dealings between the clubs always seem to go under the radar and appear to suit both clubs too, almost like they have an unwritten club connection.

I've spoken to a few Everton fans and up north they seem to think it will be the case too. Anyone agree?
  • Options
    Interesting one, I reckon this or next will be his last season and I would not like to be the man that replaces him*. A hard act to follow and he will not have the resources that Man City or Chelsea have or the strength of the position that Sir Alex has. That said with the right manager they will always be up there, but I suspect their age of domination is over and City's has just begun.

*Obvioulsy when i say i would not like .. I would love to take over from him, get sacked within days as they realise my CV about winning the world cup was made up and that I did not have a clue and a huge pay off to keep me quiet about how gullible they were.
  • Options
    He's been there so long now that I don't think he will leave until somebody else is lined up to take it off him. I expect they will probably have someone in mind 6-12 months before he considers going.

I reckon he still has a couple of years yet. There's no way he will want to go out as the second club in Manchester.
  • Options

Sir Alex is without much argument he greatest British manager ever.

Can't agree.

Would put Chapman & Clough above him.

• Options

Can't agree.

I wouldnt..but thats my opinion. Fergie greatest manager.

I think Moyesy will be the next manager if they want to have someone in charge similar to Fergie.

• Options

Can't agree.

Be interested why you think that. Both very good but nowhere near Sir Alex IMHO.

• Options
    Was talking about this the other day.Reckon the bloke will literally die in the dugout.

Man's a phenomenen

Moyes to replace him.
  • Options
    According to press reports in May of this year, this season will be his last. I can see Man U going through some tough times, but they won't be tough enough to see them relegated.

Who are the likely candidates? Jose wants to get back into the Prem, but he's not someone who'll stick around so I'm not sure he's what they want. Steve Bruce was the main candidate a few years back, but I'm not sure he's on the radar now. Alan Curbishley - nah - he'd probably turn it down if offered. Seems like Moyes has got some support on here. Di Canio - I bet he'll apply! Chris Powell???
  • Options
    Jose Mourinho to replace him...

Man U will need a strong character and will want a youngish manager with experience of the Premier League and playing in Europe and have a track record of winning things.

Mourinho has made enemies wherever he's coached - the teams he manages love him, but his opponents rarely do, he never loses an opportunity to stir the pot and yet with Man U/Ferguson he has nothing but praise and compliments. I think he has his eye on the job...

• Options
    edited September 2012
    As long as his health holds up and the stress isn't negative I can see Ferguson continuing.

The one proviso being that if he can do a Premiership / Champions League double he may decide to retire at the top.

He strikes me as a bloke that lives to work rather than works to live but I could be wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shoe in for Dowie.

It's why he's not taking any other roles for the moment.
  • Options

Can't agree.

Be interested why you think that. Both very good but nowhere near Sir Alex IMHO.

Ferguson's greatest achievements as I see it:
    1. breaking the stranglehold of the old firm with Aberdeen (albeit more achievable then than now due to finances)
    2. succeeding in Europe with Aberdeen
    3. restoring Man United to title winners
    4. mainaining Man United in pole position for so long

Clough took a provincial side (Derby), made them league champions and then did well in Europe, roughly comparable to Ferguson at Aberdeen. Clough then takes Forest to league and European Cup success. This for me slightly edges Ferguson at United, although Ferguson has of course, longevity of success, this is aided by the size of United & spread of money in premier league / champions league.

Chapman made Huddersfield the dominant team and then went to Arsenal and did the same. Not only that, but at Arsenal, he helped create a club (like Busby & Shankly did at their clubs).
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Can't agree.

Chapman won an FA Cup and two consecutive top tier titles in three successive seasons with two different clubs, Huddersfield and Arsenal, which is unique.

Clough is more debatable I accept but the argument would be that he took a natural second division club without massive resources to win the top tier championship and European Cup. Man Utd in Ferguson's time have had massive resources in comparison to the Forest of Clough's time.
  • Options
    I can't see past this short list of candidates. In no particular order.

David Moyes
    Pep Guardiola
    Jose Mourinho

• Options

Can't agree.

There is also some bloke called Chris Powell...................... ; )
  • Options
    Maybe he'll give it to Darren?!!

It will be very interesting! He's the best manager ever on paper although he has under performed in Europe. A lot of managers will do a Billy Davis and try to avoid it. It will be impossible to replicate what he's achieved and you'll always be in his shadow. On the other hand, what a challenge!
  • Options
    I think Mourinho will become next manager. Fits all the criteria and I am 99% sure he would accept the job. Might bring Ronaldo with him aswell!
  • Options
    I think they'll go for Jose.
  • Options
    I think if Mourinho were to come in it would be short term and the primary aim would be to move the club out from under the shadow of Fergie. That needs a big name who is not afraid to make big decisions. A 'lesser' manager would not be allowed to do that. Once that was done and it was no longer thought of as Fergusons club then someone like Moyes could probably come in and do the job on a more long term basis.
  • Options
    I think it will be Pep Guardiola. If this is to be Fergies last season then makes sense that Pep has taken a year out of the game before he takes on one of the bigget jobs in football. Wouldn't be surprised if this has already been agreed with the Man U board and Fergie himself.

Man U board would probably see him as better long term prospect that Mourinho.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think so, Rizzo, I reckon Mourinho would be in it for the long haul - has said England is where he likes living/working.
  • Options
    Is there any manager better than Fergie for “producing” so much young talent? De Gea, £17m. Evra, £5.5m. Jones, £16.5m. Ferdinand, £34m. Valencia, £16m. Anderson, £20m. Berbatov, £30m. Rooney, £25m. Smalling, £10m. Lindegaard, £3.5m. Hernandez, £6m. Vidic, £7m. Carrick, £17m. Nani, £18m. Young, £18m. Kagawa, £18m. Bebe, £7m. And now Van Persie, £24m.

Almost £300m.

It is testament to the managerial genius of Fergie that they are able to compete with the outrageous spending habits of City and Chelsea. No other manager would be on the same level of those clubs with such small funds.

What a genuis...
  • Options

I don't think so, Rizzo, I reckon Mourinho would be in it for the long haul - has said England is where he likes living/working.

Mourinho has never been anywhere for the long haul and I'm not even sure what long haul is these days? I'm talking about maybe 3 seasons at Utd before moving on (which would be fairly standard for Jose).

• Options
    errbody said:

Is there any manager better than Fergie for “producing” so much young talent? De Gea, £17m. Evra, £5.5m. Jones, £16.5m. Ferdinand, £34m. Valencia, £16m. Anderson, £20m. Berbatov, £30m. Rooney, £25m. Smalling, £10m. Lindegaard, £3.5m. Hernandez, £6m. Vidic, £7m. Carrick, £17m. Nani, £18m. Young, £18m. Kagawa, £18m. Bebe, £7m. And now Van Persie, £24m.

Almost £300m.

It is testament to the managerial genius of Fergie that they are able to compete with the outrageous spending habits of City and Chelsea. No other manager would be on the same level of those clubs with such small funds.

What a genuis...

There's Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, both Nevilles...

The genius is that he does bring players in on big bucks and gets match winning performances out of them.

Have a look at the money that Liverpool have torched their way through over the years in expensive signings that flopped - the latest being Andy Carroll.

In the time that he's been at Old Trafford he's built several successful sides. Most managers who are considered successful rarely manage to sell a lot of talent or see players retire etc and then build another successful team. He's repeated that trick several times now, it can't be a fluke and neither is it about signing the best players.

• Options
    Laurent Blanc is fave to takeover I think.
  • Options
    I think if Jose does take over from Fergie he could be to United what Clough was to Leeds
  • Options

Was talking about this the other day.Reckon the bloke will literally die in the dugout.

Man's a phenomenen

Moyes to replace him.

for once i agree fully with you

• Options
    I'd expect to see a similar situation to when Curbishley left Charlton.

You would imagine Ferguson has the trust of most, if not everybody at Old Trafford, as Curbs would have had after so long in the top job. Man Utd is Ferguson's empire, everything is set up how he likes it, and when somebody takes his place it will upset 20+ years of tradition.

Iain Dowie never stood a chance, did he?