Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sir Alex Ferguson - The Future

Comments

• Options
    Ronaldo 12m - 80m enough said.
  • Options

I'd expect to see a similar situation to when Curbishley left Charlton.

You would imagine Ferguson has the trust of most, if not everybody at Old Trafford, as Curbs would have had after so long in the top job. Man Utd is Ferguson's empire, everything is set up how he likes it, and when somebody takes his place it will upset 20+ years of tradition.

Iain Dowie never stood a chance, did he?

Man utd will do it a lot better i think.
  • Options
    Curbishley's still looking for a Premiership job...Fergie liked him I seem to remember ;-)
  • Options

I don't think so, Rizzo, I reckon Mourinho would be in it for the long haul - has said England is where he likes living/working.

Having a nice house in Mayfair is a lot different to living in the north of England. Not saying its not a great place to live but it's deffo not London or Madrid.

• Options
    Arsene Wenger
  • Options
    Fergie has had a lot of money to spend aswell but spent it a lot better than others. I don't really remember too many expensive flops, only people like Forlan maybe. Letting Pique leave and arguably Guiseppe Rossi were big mistakes. He had a lot of cheapish flops aswell but so does every team.
  • Options
    Martin O'neill I reckon would be a good replacement.
  • Options
    One thing Ferguson is good at is selling players who DON'T go on to better things. Unlike us.

I could (have) seen Paul Lambert eventually replacing Ferguson. Not so sure now! But who knows, if he turns things around at Villa, he might be the next big thing again.
  • Options
    AVB all over this
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chris Powell
  • Options
    errbody said:

Is there any manager better than Fergie for “producing” so much young talent? De Gea, £17m. Evra, £5.5m. Jones, £16.5m. Ferdinand, £34m. Valencia, £16m. Anderson, £20m. Berbatov, £30m. Rooney, £25m. Smalling, £10m. Lindegaard, £3.5m. Hernandez, £6m. Vidic, £7m. Carrick, £17m. Nani, £18m. Young, £18m. Kagawa, £18m. Bebe, £7m. And now Van Persie, £24m.

Almost £300m.

It is testament to the managerial genius of Fergie that they are able to compete with the outrageous spending habits of City and Chelsea. No other manager would be on the same level of those clubs with such small funds.

What a genuis...

They come over a 10odd year period. Thats 30m per season, without sales. (Ronaldo 80m..?)
    Buying is part of football. No point nurturing every single player when your already at the top.

• Options
    I think if Jose does take over from Fergie he could be to United what Clough was to Leeds
  • Options
    Kap 10
    I think we took the point in your post at 1.18 but thanks for reminding those of us with Alzheimer's:-)
  • Options

I could (have) seen Paul Lambert eventually replacing Ferguson. Not so sure now! But who knows, if he turns things around at Villa, he might be the next big thing again.

I think Lambert will be the next big thing and fancy him to fill Sir Alex's spot if the old trafford hierarchy are brave enough
  • Options
    Like many others, I reckon that Moyes is the natural successor to Ferguson.

I think I heard somewhere that Fergie plans to retire at the end of the 2013-14 season, and that the succession plan is already in place. It's gonna be fun to watch!
  • Options
    IMO Mourinho's personna doesn't suit the United style. With Jose it's all about him. Moyes will be the man.
  • Options
    I think they should offer the job to Dowie after Fergie goes. Hopefully he will do for them what he did for us.
  • Options

Like many others, I reckon that Moyes is the natural successor to Ferguson.

I think I heard somewhere that Fergie plans to retire at the end of the 2013-14 season, and that the succession plan is already in place. It's gonna be fun to watch!

As I mentioned above, there was a report in the papers in May of this year that "next season" would be his last - I assumed that mean the 2012/13 season. However, Sir Alex has been known to change his mind. :-)
  • Options
    When you have large bucks at your disposal you can buy up the best talent and recruit the best youngsters not to mention the best coaches to develop them. There is no telling whether Fergie is the best as nobody else British has ever had his resources to work with. What is undoubtedly true is that he is strong enough to stand up to the very biggest egos. I guess you need that at Man U. What evidence is there that Moyes would be tough enough?

Clough for me was the best. How many European Cups/Champs Leagues has Fergie won over how many years, with the very best players at his disposal? Could Fergie have got League titles out of two second rate East Midlands clubs? For that matter could he have got Charlton 101 points last season? We will never know.

It will be a laugh if they do a North Korea and Fergie Yung-Un takes over. Whoever does is on a Dowiesque hiding to nothing!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not easy to call. With David Moyes it may be a case that his success is due to the fact that he isn't manageing a big club may be Man Utd may overwhelm him. As for Mourinho I heard a great quote "Jose Mourinho is the kind of man who would join The Navy so the world could see him"
  • Options

errbody said:

Is there any manager better than Fergie for “producing” so much young talent? De Gea, £17m. Evra, £5.5m. Jones, £16.5m. Ferdinand, £34m. Valencia, £16m. Anderson, £20m. Berbatov, £30m. Rooney, £25m. Smalling, £10m. Lindegaard, £3.5m. Hernandez, £6m. Vidic, £7m. Carrick, £17m. Nani, £18m. Young, £18m. Kagawa, £18m. Bebe, £7m. And now Van Persie, £24m.

Almost £300m.

It is testament to the managerial genius of Fergie that they are able to compete with the outrageous spending habits of City and Chelsea. No other manager would be on the same level of those clubs with such small funds.

What a genuis...

There's Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, both Nevilles...

The genius is that he does bring players in on big bucks and gets match winning performances out of them.

Have a look at the money that Liverpool have torched their way through over the years in expensive signings that flopped - the latest being Andy Carroll.

In the time that he's been at Old Trafford he's built several successful sides. Most managers who are considered successful rarely manage to sell a lot of talent or see players retire etc and then build another successful team. He's repeated that trick several times now, it can't be a fluke and neither is it about signing the best players.

Beckham, Butt, Giggs, P Neville, G Neville, Scholes. Six players in 26 years.

Fergie has torched through many expensive flops over the years in the vein of Andy Carroll. The latest being Dimitar Berbatov - signed for £30 million, sold for £4 million. Juan Sebastian Veron is another name that springs to mind.

• Options
    MattD said:

errbody said:

Almost £300m.

What a genuis...

They come over a 10odd year period. Thats 30m per season, without sales. (Ronaldo 80m..?)
    Buying is part of football. No point nurturing every single player when your already at the top.

That is only the current squad. All the comings and goings over the last ten years would obviously raise this figure.

I'm not saying that buying is not part of football. I just don't understand why everyone holds Fergie up as a beacon of managerial greatness, when he bought through half a dozen decent players through in the 90s and has spent to stay on top ever since. Right place, right time imo.

For my money, Wenger and Moyes deserve to be considered better than Fergie.
  • Options

I'm not saying that buying is not part of football. I just don't understand why everyone holds Fergie up as a beacon of managerial greatness, when he bought through half a dozen decent players through in the 90s and has spent to stay on top ever since. Right place, right time imo.

Not everybody does, Errbody. He Has been good for Man U - can't be denied, but could he have done it In Italy or Spain or Portugal, like Mourinho or with Derby County and Forest like Clough? It is not a question he has answered or will ever answer so it's not unarguable he is the greatest. Far from it in fact.

• Options
    Disagree, errbody. Massive overhaul in the first few years after he arrived which so few managers would have got right, then the success bought in the money - don't forget United almost got bought by Michael Knighton for relatively little in the early 90s. He wasn't just given the cash like at Chelsea or Man City, the way he built a dynasty got a global fan base and the money that goes with it.

And it's not just about the youngsters coming through the youth system, people like Schmeichel, Vidic, Evra, Irwin, Kanchelskis, Solskjaer, Cantona etc have all become stars at United, not been signed as such.
  • Options
    Guardiola will be in charge When fergie retires
  • Options
    errbody said:

errbody said:

Almost £300m.

What a genuis...

There's Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, both Nevilles...

The genius is that he does bring players in on big bucks and gets match winning performances out of them.

Have a look at the money that Liverpool have torched their way through over the years in expensive signings that flopped - the latest being Andy Carroll.

In the time that he's been at Old Trafford he's built several successful sides. Most managers who are considered successful rarely manage to sell a lot of talent or see players retire etc and then build another successful team. He's repeated that trick several times now, it can't be a fluke and neither is it about signing the best players.

Beckham, Butt, Giggs, P Neville, G Neville, Scholes. Six players in 26 years.

Fergie has torched through many expensive flops over the years in the vein of Andy Carroll. The latest being Dimitar Berbatov - signed for £30 million, sold for £4 million. Juan Sebastian Veron is another name that springs to mind.

is that the same veron he sold to chelsea for £15m (ok a £13m loss), but then veron went on to play a massive part in 14 matches for them and left for nothing?

as for next manager, would love it to be guardiola, and it'll be interesting to see what direction gary neville's coaching/managerial career takes over the next 5-10 years.
  • Options
    As I'm in the know, I'll let you all in on an exclusive.........

Fergie is retiring at the end of the season and his replacement has already been lined up. Steve Kean will walk away from Blackburn to take the job, despite the protests from the Blackburn fans begging him to stay.
    This is the reason the venkys are holding on to him, for the big compensation pay-out.

I know this to be true, as I was told by the badger at the bottom of my garden. He's never lied to me yet..............................................
  • Options
    The more I think about it, there is only one man for the job.

I give you Mike Phelan.

No manager in their right mind would want the job, stepping into the shoes of SAF. The Glaziers will want someone who knows the club inside out and have the respect of all the staff...and the respect of SAF.

Just put the same question to my Man Utd season-ticket holding colleague sitting next to me...he said if he could have anyone, it would be Cantona but then followed up that if we're talking in real world, then Mourinho.

• Options
    Cantona? How stupid. Playing legends never work out welll as managers...........................................