Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Owen

Joins stoke on 1 yr deal

Replacing our own Ricky fuller

Could be a great signing if he can stay fit

Fair swap

Comments

• Options
    Surely doesnt suit there style?
  • Options
    Think he probably does probably suit their style now he's lost his pace. Would thrive on knock downs and flicks from Crouch in and around the box.
  • Options
    He is just going there to do what JFH did to us - boost his pension fund! Stoke kit suppliers, stand by with a supply of ever-increasing sized shorts!
  • Options
    To be the first one on the end of knockdowns it would be better to have pace/acceleration though
  • Options
    Pullis has not done a lot wrong since promotion, doubt he will persist with Owen if Owen does not pull his weight
  • Options
    A fit owen would improve any squad out side of the big boys imho
  • Options
    I still find it arrogant that he refuses to play in the championship
  • Options
    Don't neccessarily need pace-more anticipation and the ability to finish which I think he still has
  • Options
    Hes still a great finisher, good signing for stoke I think, will get a few goals this season if fit
  • Options
    Ball gets lumped into the box, milling around, no-one can quite get it clear, BOOM Owen back of the net. Think he will either thrive or lose the last vestiges of his reputation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep, he'll either do well or not do well
  • Options

Are you so sure of this because he hasn't scored a goal against Premiership oppostion in about 3 years?
  • Options

I feel the same about Curbs refusing to manage below the Prem.

• Options
    I wouldnt play in the championship if teams like Stoke are interested, what the point
  • Options

Best finisher I have seen and would make my five a side team every week. Class act worth the gamble on fitness/injury etc.
  • Options

And by getting a deal at a premiership club, he's justified that decision.............................
  • Options
    Rate pullis so surprised by this as Owen has followed the Robbie Fowler living on reputation for years 'model' to a tee other than he has also managed to alienate the scousers by joining man u whereas fowler is still worshipped there. That must be worth a hell of a lot - knowing that when you are retired you will still be treated like a god in the place you live and grew up in.
  • Options
    He may not even get a goal in the Prem this season as teh PL board are meeting to discuss whether the signing was carried out before their 4pm deadline or not
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Are you so sure of this because he hasn't scored a goal against Premiership oppostion in about 3 years?

well, he scored just shy of 1 in every three games during a very stop/start time at MU so IF he stays fit at stoke then yes i believe he will improve their squad.
  • Options
    Still a top finisher.

His biggest problem is keeping fit. If he stays fit for Stoke, he'll score goals. He's not as fast as he was, sure, but he's far from slow.

Good signing for Stoke. Crouch and Owen has the makings of a good partnership.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cfgs said:

He may not even get a goal in the Prem this season as teh PL board are meeting to discuss whether the signing was carried out before their 4pm deadline or not

What deadline? Thought he was a free transfer?
  • Options

cfgs said:

There's a deadline for Prem clubs to register their 25-man squad.

• Options
    Rizzo said:

cfgs said:

Indeed and it was 4pm yesterday
  • Options
    so Reo-Coker won't be joinging a PL club then. Hope for us yet.
  • Options
    PL have approved it
  • Options

PL have approved it

Not surprised
  • Options

so Reo-Coker won't be joinging a PL club then. Hope for us yet.

Not all clubs have taken their 25 man allocation. IIRC only QPR and stoke have and thats where the owen issue is so im guessing he can still join 18 clubs. I may be off the mark though
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Rizzo said:

cfgs said:

I might (and probably am) be wrong here, but I was of the understanding that, as long as they (in this case Stoke) have registered less than 25 senior players, free transfers can be registered at anytime, up to the maximum of 25?
  • Options

cfgs said:

Rizzo said:

cfgs said:

I might (and probably am) be wrong here, but I was of the understanding that, as long as they (in this case Stoke) have registered less than 25 senior players, free transfers can be registered at anytime, up to the maximum of 25?
    I think Stoke have already reached the 25-man limit, which is why this is causing a problem.

• Options
    Rizzo said:

cfgs said:

Rizzo said:

cfgs said:

I think Stoke have already reached the 25-man limit, which is why this is causing a problem.

Righty ho, nuff said...................