Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bands & Artists You Missed / Music That Passed You By....

Sometimes i wonder why i never listened to certain groups ie Deep Purple , Led Zep , Talk Talk , Depeche Mode etc ... whats your list , and what have you 'discovered' years after they came and went and now really enjoy?

Comments

• Options
    The Jam. Didn't really appreciate them until round a mates flat one day and he was playing their stuff. This was about a year after they split..................
  • Options
    Oasis, a band I would of loved to see live, but only really started to listen to them after they broke up!! The Libertines and Blur would be on the list too!!
  • Options
    you haven't missed much there : - )

Discovered late - The Staples Singer" (heard "When Will We be paid" on an Uncut freebie compilation disc by Keith Richards) and Jackson Browne (who I'd heard but didn't get)
  • Options
    Haha not sure who that one was for Henry :-0 but theres load more i could / will add..
  • Options

The Jam. Didn't really appreciate them until round a mates flat one day and he was playing their stuff. This was about a year after they split..................

Yeah I would've loved to have seen The Jam live too, seen Weller abouy 15 times though.

Mind you I was only about 5 years old the year after they split @tangoflash!

; )
  • Options

Haha not sure who that one was for Henry :-0 but theres load more i could / will add..

All of yours although Depeche Mode did some OK stuff and I was once bizarrely told I looked like lead singer.

Go on, give us some more.

• Options
    Wow i didn't realise you were in Depeche Mode , Henry? :-0
  • Options
    ELO , The Alarm , The Who , also the 90's passed me by?
  • Options
    I've been playing this App called Songpop , and certain era's pass me by , worringly i'm good at 80's and Love Songs?
  • Options
    The whole Manchester/Stone Roses thing, was far too engrossed in bad American heavy metal to notice. I've caught up since.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    half man half buscuit, stiff little fingers
  • Options
    BDL said:

The whole Manchester/Stone Roses thing, was far too engrossed in bad American heavy metal to notice. I've caught up since.

Good call, I was into all them at the time, but never see them live!

Inspiral Carpets woud liked to have seen too...
  • Options
    the beta band
  • Options
    New York Dolls / Hanoi Rocks
  • Options
    can't say anything has really passed me by - only regret is that I never went to enough gigs & wished i'd seen more 80's bands live.
  • Options

the beta band

Great call!
  • Options
    Some of these bands i've never heard of but are checking out!
  • Options

Some of these bands i've never heard of but are checking out!

Try if you don't know them already

The Band
    Velvet Underground
    John Martyn

• Options
    Cheers Henry.
  • Options
    Country music as a genre as opposed to the ones that are stars. Carter family compilation is awesome, even without modern production. Alas, choice is too vast to research while working long hours and no home internet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bob Marley and The Wailers. Didn't give reggae music any time until shortly before Marley's death. Became a big fan afterwards and actually met Rita Marley whilst on holiday in Jamaica (Ziggy was filming a video in the resort and mum was with him).
  • Options
    Like to think I have a varied and eclectic taste in music but up until yesterday I'd never heard of Nick Drake. By chance I stumbled across 'Five Leaves Left' and 'Bryter Layter' just yesterday. Stunning voice. I'll be playing these a lot today.
  • Options
    P_Air said:

Like to think I have a varied and eclectic taste in music but up until yesterday I'd never heard of Nick Drake. By chance I stumbled across 'Five Leaves Left' and 'Bryter Layter' just yesterday. Stunning voice. I'll be playing these a lot today.

Had the same experience with him about 5 years ago.................................
  • Options
    Probably Johnny Cash ... it's only in the last 5/6 years I've realised how brilliant he was ... have loads of his stuff now
  • Options
    For me I really regret never seeing James Brown probably one of the best live performers ever, of course Elivis would have been great and The Beatles as well.
  • Options
    Seen most of the bands I wanted to thankfully except for one of my favourite bands Galaxie 500. Got into their music then they spilt before I could see them.

For some reason it always irks me that I didn't see Teenage Fanclub at The Venue in December 1990, because my mate didn't fancy it (same mate saw Galaxie 500 twice and also has Andy Jones' shirt when he threw it into the crowd at Old Trafford). Saw Teenage Fanclub at Reading years later in the driving rain though which was brilliant.

• Options
    Seen most of the bands last 35 years I wanted to see. Jam about 25 times being the obvious highlight. Just got tickets to see Killers at O2 in November, so just leaves me with the Who and Foo Fighters on my "must see" list.
  • Options
    The Smiths.

Completely passed me by .
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    The Ramones...... but hey ho (see what i did there)
    kept putting it off ,alas too late now .
  • Options
    James Blunt