Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bands & Artists You Missed / Music That Passed You By....

2»

Comments

• Options

Seen most of the bands last 35 years I wanted to see. Jam about 25 times being the obvious highlight. Just got tickets to see Killers at O2 in November, so just leaves me with the Who and Foo Fighters on my "must see" list.

Foo Fighters are superb live, definitely try & see them if you get the chance!

• Options

Seen most of the bands I wanted to thankfully except for one of my favourite bands Galaxie 500. Got into their music then they spilt before I could see them.

For some reason it always irks me that I didn't see Teenage Fanclub at The Venue in December 1990, because my mate didn't fancy it (same mate saw Galaxie 500 twice and also has Andy Jones' shirt when he threw it into the crowd at Old Trafford). Saw Teenage Fanclub at Reading years later in the driving rain though which was brilliant.

I saw Galaxie 500 earlier this year - well Dean Wareham playing a full set of their songs in Calgary. I am sure he will do this in London at some point.

Good call on TFC - think I have seen them live more than any other band.

I am reading Luke Haines hugely 'entertaining memoirs on his time with The Auteurs - i don't think i saw them - but reading the book makes me wish i had. He is a nutter & very, very scathing about his fellow musicians - great stuff.
  • Options

Seen most of the bands last 35 years I wanted to see. Jam about 25 times being the obvious highlight. Just got tickets to see Killers at O2 in November, so just leaves me with the Who and Foo Fighters on my "must see" list.

Foo Fighters are superb live, definitely try & see them if you get the chance!

wasnt too impressed with them at the reading festival
  • Options
    P_Air said:

Like to think I have a varied and eclectic taste in music but up until yesterday I'd never heard of Nick Drake. By chance I stumbled across 'Five Leaves Left' and 'Bryter Layter' just yesterday. Stunning voice. I'll be playing these a lot today.

Good to hear another fan of Nick.......
    Just included him on my 3 songs for my funeral, and been involved with Nick's estate and fan club for a time now. Along with John Martyn a great musician that rarely get's the credit he deserves. Paul Weller, and many others are big fan's.
    No video of the guy, few people ever saw him live. A complex and massively talented musician, who dissolved into folklore, whose talent is recognised by most folk musicians today.

• Options

P_Air said:

Like to think I have a varied and eclectic taste in music but up until yesterday I'd never heard of Nick Drake. By chance I stumbled across 'Five Leaves Left' and 'Bryter Layter' just yesterday. Stunning voice. I'll be playing these a lot today.

Just included him on my 3 songs for my funeral, and been involved with Nick's estate and fan club for a time now. Along with John Martyn a great musician that rarely get's the credit he deserves. Paul Weller, and many others are big fan's.
    No video of the guy, few people ever saw him live. A complex and massively talented musician, who dissolved into folklore, whose talent is recognised by most folk musicians today.

Well I had both those albums on repeat all day today. Both, in my opinion, fantastic and quite moving albums, I guess when you take in to context how much of a troubled soul he was. I'll certainly be looking out for more of his work, although from what I've read he was reluctant to release material towards the end of his very short life?
  • Options
    edited September 2012

The Smiths.

Completely passed me by .

Erm yes, likewise. My mate (the one with Andy Jones' shirt) said I should listen to them when I was about 15, I said too depressing.

I instead was listening to David Grant and Jacqui Graham, late Level 42 and Brothers in Arms on repeat....

What the F*** was I doing?
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Seen most of the bands I wanted to thankfully except for one of my favourite bands Galaxie 500. Got into their music then they spilt before I could see them.

For some reason it always irks me that I didn't see Teenage Fanclub at The Venue in December 1990, because my mate didn't fancy it (same mate saw Galaxie 500 twice and also has Andy Jones' shirt when he threw it into the crowd at Old Trafford). Saw Teenage Fanclub at Reading years later in the driving rain though which was brilliant.

I saw Galaxie 500 earlier this year - well Dean Wareham playing a full set of their songs in Calgary. I am sure he will do this in London at some point.

Good call on TFC - think I have seen them live more than any other band.

I am reading Luke Haines hugely 'entertaining memoirs on his time with The Auteurs - i don't think i saw them - but reading the book makes me wish i had. He is a nutter & very, very scathing about his fellow musicians - great stuff.
    Have to admit Oakster, I haven't been totally deprived. Saw 'Dean Wareham plays Galaxie 500' three times (London, Brighton and Truckfest - the London show to a busy Garage was cracking) and also have seen Damon and Naomi and Luna quite a few times also but I still can't say I've seen Galaxie :(

Get's me thinking if I ever saw The Auteurs?
  • Options
    Arctic Monkeys almost passed me by until one of my mates made me listen to their latest album. Didn't appreciate them when I got their first album since they were talking about exactly what its like being 18-19 and going out to clubs. Was 14-15 at the time so didn't really get any of it.
  • Options
    Alice In Chains, they produced some great stuff during their time with the MTV accustic album marking their tragic peak.
    Iron Maiden with Paul Di'Anno as lead singer...I now think these are the best albums they've ever done.
    Judas Priest, again the earlier albums are fantastic, real 70's metal.
    Black Sabbath, again the earlier albums have been a revelation. Always wondered why Ozzy was so big and now I know why.
    Joy Division, simplistic beauty and specifically the BBC Sessions album is one of the best things i've ever heard.
  • Options
    Sadly I was too much into the whole prog rock thing between the ages of 14-17 to really appreciate the likes of Joy Division
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Joy Division, simplistic beauty and specifically the BBC Sessions album is one of the best things i've ever heard.

Really dont think they ever recorded a bad song.
  • Options

Really dont think they ever recorded a bad song.
    100% this!
  • Options
    P_Air said:

P_Air said:

Well I had both those albums on repeat all day today. Both, in my opinion, fantastic and quite moving albums, I guess when you take in to context how much of a troubled soul he was. I'll certainly be looking out for more of his work, although from what I've read he was reluctant to release material towards the end of his very short life?
    Get Pink Moon as well, his last proper release - it's absolutely haunting.
  • Options
    Being into rock n roll and rockabilly since I was thirteen, and going to gigs from the age of fourteen, I saw all the living artists I could and would want to. The other side of the coin is that while I liked bands such as Pink Floyd, given the choice between going to see them, or Crazy Cavan and the Rhythmn Rockers for the fifth time that year, I chose the latter... That I regret...