Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football Rivalry Census 2012

Comments

• Options
    Very interesting, but please don't let this become yet another thread on Millwall and Crystal Palace. My favourite is Barnet seeing Carlisle as their third greatest rival. Why?!
  • Options
    It's already been posted on the millwall and palace thread.
  • Options
    The infamous millwall rank one place ahead of mk dons and one below stoke city in terms of general hate from the neutral fan.

Everybody knows and fears them though, or so I'm told....
  • Options
    Everybody knows our third rivals are MASSIVE and not West Ham and why are we not in the least offensive top 20?
  • Options
    It's interesting but I spoke to my mate who follows the Lions this morning about the survey.

Personally I am not bothered that they rank us as third and we put them as second on the rival list because their rivalry against West Ham is not about Football ,but old London Docks disputes and hooliganism .

In terms of Palace ,Millwall have probably played them more times than us because both clubs were regulars in the old Third Division South in the 40's and 50's and many of their older fans would have grown up with his rivalry and more recently we didn't play them between 1996 and 2009 so we would have been off the radar for another younger generation of Spanner fans also .

What counts are attendances between the clubs .I suspect even with it being a Friday night on Sky more Nigels will come to the Valley than will visit the Toolbox this season despite it being a more difficult and longer journey.

Why is this ? I suspect much of it concerns the special atmosphere that the Den offers for away fans as well as the understatement of their rivalry with us .

• Options
    Watford..........Leeds, CP Scum and QPR.
    Something wrong there as there rival is Luton.
  • Options
    Aren't Luton still non-league?
  • Options
    Richard J said:

It's interesting but I spoke to my mate who follows the Lions this morning about the survey.

Personally I am not bothered that they rank us as third and we put them as second on the rival list because their rivalry against West Ham is not about Football ,but old London Docks disputes and hooliganism .

Of course it's about football as well. If it wasn't for football then no rivalry would exist. Rivalries are based on numerous factors; proximity, tribalism, area v area, head to head results, controversial transfers between clubs, history of crowd trouble and other related things.

If football never existed there would still be the whole south east v east london rivalry, even comments on here about disliking east london & essex. They see themselves as all things 'cockney' in East London and view anyone from SE London as poor, dirty, imposters. South London has always been viewed as the poorer part and the arrogance of those north of the river towards us.

Even north londoners continually jibe south londoners about bringing germs across the river, no reason for them to go south, hope you clean yourself when you cross the river to the north side etc etc.

The rivalry off the field just exacerbated the hostility between the two teams.

Palace talk about us the same, they bring class into it, not football, they talk about us being poor, working classes from inner London whilst they are apparently well educated, middle class people who are born superior to us.

Rivalries are born out of football but include so many various factors. You can't even say that the Millwall - Charlton rivalry is strictly football related only, not at all.
  • Options
    Interesting that no-one puts us as their main rivals. Only Gills put us second.
  • Options

Everybody knows our third rivals are MASSIVE and not West Ham

Yes, if you're a keyboard warrior who spends too much time on Charlton Life.

Ask any other Charlton fan who doesn't use this site and they will look at you blankly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    no one hates us.we dont care
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Ask any other Charlton fan who doesn't use this site and they will look at you blankly.
    They're more deserving of third place than West Ham.

• Options
    This is why I put my weight behind you during Bunnygate, SLL :-)

As for West Ham, never known a single Charlton fan to properly dislike them. Probably down to the Upton share being so much more bearable than Selhurst.
  • Options

Interesting that no-one puts us as their main rivals. Only Gills put us second.

Were you suprised by that? I wasn't
  • Options
    Jarman said:

The infamous millwall rank one place ahead of mk dons and one below stoke city in terms of general hate from the neutral fan.

You do know mostly 14 year old armchair fans or 40 year old virgins answered something as gay as this, right?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    cafctom said:

Warrior? Worrier!
  • Options
    Bunny said:

Jarman said:

You do know mostly 14 year old armchair fans or 40 year old virgins answered something as gay as this, right?
    I'd be interested to know how you know that.
  • Options

As for West Ham, never known a single Charlton fan to properly dislike them. Probably down to the Upton share being so much more bearable than Selhurst.

I dislike them, but it's not a Charlton thing. I don't like the way that they seem to have infested every corner of Essex.
  • Options
    Stig said:

I dislike them, but it's not a Charlton thing. I don't like the way that they seem to have infested every corner of Essex.
    Upton Park Express.... works every time!

• Options
    Would have Spurs third myself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2012
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Upton Park Express...
  • Options
    Lol
  • Options
    WTF ?
  • Options
    Why Crawley at 14th most hated ?
  • Options
    considering i know a few characters that sit in the terraced brentford end it's pretty funny that they've been seen as the least "offensive" club haha
  • Options

Why Crawley at 14th most hated ?

Surprised they are only 14th....may have something to do with a song that was released before they played at MU...a bloke (fan of theirs) was in the video shoot immitating an aeroplane, basically taking the piss about Munich 58.
  • Options
    I think Crawley are also thought to have bought their way up - they were signing League 2 players while in the conference etc. Funny no one seems to say the same about Fleetwood.
  • Options
    from what i can tell crawley's success seems to come from some form of money laundering rather than genuine investment. That's just the rumours from non league though
  • Options
    Bunny said:

Jarman said:

Or, judging by that very adult comment, 14 year year old virgins.