Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football Rivalry Census 2012

2»

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:

This is why I put my weight behind you during Bunnygate, SLL :-)

As for West Ham, never known a single Charlton fan to properly dislike them. Probably down to the Upton share being so much more bearable than Selhurst.

I dislike them, but it's not a Charlton thing. I don't like the way that they seem to have infested every corner of Essex.
    In the days of Selhurst and Upton Park, why didnt we share with Orient ? Would have made a lot more sense in terms of proximity. I assume it was something to do with Ground size and maybe terracing ?
  • Options

Stig said:

This is why I put my weight behind you during Bunnygate, SLL :-)

As for West Ham, never known a single Charlton fan to properly dislike them. Probably down to the Upton share being so much more bearable than Selhurst.

I dislike them, but it's not a Charlton thing. I don't like the way that they seem to have infested every corner of Essex.
    In the days of Selhurst and Upton Park, why didnt we share with Orient ? Would have made a lot more sense in terms of proximity. I assume it was something to do with Ground size and maybe terracing ?
    The den would've made even more sense!

Crawley's hatred is due to buying their way in to the league and the Steve Evans factor. I guess next year (I can't wait...) will feature fleetwood.
  • Options
    Reading - main rivals - 2003 Swindon Town, 2012 Aldershot town.

??
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Very interesting, but please don't let this become yet another thread on Millwall and Crystal Palace. My favourite is Barnet seeing Carlisle as their third greatest rival. Why?!

Few years ago, up at Carlisle they was attacking Barnet fans during/after the game.
  • Options
    SE10 said:

Uboat said:

Very interesting, but please don't let this become yet another thread on Millwall and Crystal Palace. My favourite is Barnet seeing Carlisle as their third greatest rival. Why?!

Few years ago, up at Carlisle they was attacking Barnet fans during/after the game.
    Weird. Why pick on Barnet of all teams?
  • Options
    Surely stuff like this is a personal thing as for me i would have Gillingham as second, due to how much i despise that club based on the last 10 years or so.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

SE10 said:

Uboat said:

Weird. Why pick on Barnet of all teams?
    Weird people, weird ground. Went to the promotion game last season there, and first time i've ever had a seat that didnt look out onto the pitch !
  • Options
    Richard J said:

It's interesting but I spoke to my mate who follows the Lions this morning about the survey.

Personally I am not bothered that they rank us as third and we put them as second on the rival list because their rivalry against West Ham is not about Football ,but old London Docks disputes and hooliganism .

In terms of Palace ,Millwall have probably played them more times than us because both clubs were regulars in the old Third Division South in the 40's and 50's and many of their older fans would have grown up with his rivalry and more recently we didn't play them between 1996 and 2009 so we would have been off the radar for another younger generation of Spanner fans also .

What counts are attendances between the clubs .I suspect even with it being a Friday night on Sky more Nigels will come to the Valley than will visit the Toolbox this season despite it being a more difficult and longer journey.

Why is this ? I suspect much of it concerns the special atmosphere that the Den offers for away fans as well as the understatement of their rivalry with us .

What are these dock disputes you talk about I would be interested to know all the docks were out in 1926 so that was an a story that used to get told. Read any book you like about the general strike .

But West Ham players on the last home game or the semi final where they saw off Cardiff put on a special Tshirt which talked about saying good bye to millwall so even the club west ham united who would not support any hooligan element . Accept that their is a rivarly between the clubs.

you mention attendances as if that matters some how but it does not do you think they care if you more palace fans at your place than at the den or you when you turn up at the den you claim that Charlton are their biggest home game .All that matters to them is that when they turn up at the valley or Selhurst park that they bring about 3,000 and out sing the home fans . When they were at the valley last time they were only ever in second gear but made more noise throughout the game than the home fans.I recall being at the valley one day when Pardew was manager and seeing some bloke with a mic I asked one of the stewards what was he doing and he told me that Pardew was of the view that the home support did not make to much noise so he was some warm up man to get the crowd going Palace have never done that ,West Ham Fans at home and away are superb on the noise they make for their team.

In the same survey West Ham Fans who were questioned put millwall before spurs which must be a first I do not accept that those west ham fans are members or former members of the ICF so that would tell you a story.

The understatement of their rivarly with us they do not consider they have a rivarly with us I know this must be hard to understand but this will tell you why,

Charlton Athletic in the Football league we have played Millwall 64 times lost 31,won 11, drew 22
  • Options
    oh frank who are you kidding?
  • Options

Richard J said:

It's interesting but I spoke to my mate who follows the Lions this morning about the survey.

Personally I am not bothered that they rank us as third and we put them as second on the rival list because their rivalry against West Ham is not about Football ,but old London Docks disputes and hooliganism .

In terms of Palace ,Millwall have probably played them more times than us because both clubs were regulars in the old Third Division South in the 40's and 50's and many of their older fans would have grown up with his rivalry and more recently we didn't play them between 1996 and 2009 so we would have been off the radar for another younger generation of Spanner fans also .

What counts are attendances between the clubs .I suspect even with it being a Friday night on Sky more Nigels will come to the Valley than will visit the Toolbox this season despite it being a more difficult and longer journey.

Why is this ? I suspect much of it concerns the special atmosphere that the Den offers for away fans as well as the understatement of their rivalry with us .

What are these dock disputes you talk about I would be interested to know all the docks were out in 1926 so that was an a story that used to get told. Read any book you like about the general strike .

But West Ham players on the last home game or the semi final where they saw off Cardiff put on a special Tshirt which talked about saying good bye to millwall so even the club west ham united who would not support any hooligan element . Accept that their is a rivarly between the clubs.

you mention attendances as if that matters some how but it does not do you think they care if you more palace fans at your place than at the den or you when you turn up at the den you claim that Charlton are their biggest home game .All that matters to them is that when they turn up at the valley or Selhurst park that they bring about 3,000 and out sing the home fans . When they were at the valley last time they were only ever in second gear but made more noise throughout the game than the home fans.I recall being at the valley one day when Pardew was manager and seeing some bloke with a mic I asked one of the stewards what was he doing and he told me that Pardew was of the view that the home support did not make to much noise so he was some warm up man to get the crowd going Palace have never done that ,West Ham Fans at home and away are superb on the noise they make for their team.

In the same survey West Ham Fans who were questioned put millwall before spurs which must be a first I do not accept that those west ham fans are members or former members of the ICF so that would tell you a story.

The understatement of their rivarly with us they do not consider they have a rivarly with us I know this must be hard to understand but this will tell you why,

Charlton Athletic in the Football league we have played Millwall 64 times lost 31,won 11, drew 22
    Is it bad that after reading that twice I'm finding it impossible to ascertain who you support?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Frank your starting to creep me out
  • Options

Richard J said:

Is it bad that after reading that twice I'm finding it impossible to ascertain who you support?
    nolly said:

Frank your starting to creep me out

Nolly I said ages ago that I am a charlton supporter and people on this board choose not to believe me i know alot of millwall fans and grew up with some of them . If I was a Millwall fan as some people believe then I could come on here and spend time having ago but I do not do that and having read some of the comments the millwall fans I know if they were on here you would soon know about it.

• Options
    ok
  • Options
    No, Frank. You're a Millwall fan. Accept that now to avoid years of expensive therapy.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Frank is a Charlton fan (he says), but only ever bothers to comment about & big up Millwall.
    If he is a Charlton fan, then Charlton, appears to be the wife he no longer loves & Millwall is his mistress :-)
  • Options

Frank is a Charlton fan (he says), but only ever bothers to comment about & big up Millwall.
    If he is a Charlton fan, then Charlton, appears to be the wife he no longer loves & Millwall is his mistress :-)

That is one minging mistress.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

No, Frank. You're a Millwall fan. Accept that now to avoid years of expensive therapy.

Cracked up at that, very good.
  • Options

that needs readdressing damn quick. awful stats.
  • Options
    Warm up man?
  • Options
    Don't know of any Charlton fans who hate West Ham, who would everyone on here have as third then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    liverpool 2nd millwall3rd
  • Options
    Current rivalries tend to depend on who your rivals in that league are, thus Wednesday were right up there last season in the Charlton 'hate' list, but you suspect that we'll forget about each other soon enough.

Similarly, it's difficult to consider Gillingham a rival unless you're playing them regularly, and hopefully this won't happen for a long time...
  • Options
    Personally I hate Spurs.
  • Options

Warm up man?

Yes I've never seen or heard of him either. Then again Frank does support Millwall........
  • Options
    Fisher Athletic
  • Options

I properly hate West Ham!

Interestingly I looked at the numbers of the survey. They claim to have asked over 1,200 fans, which I read to be less than £1,300 or they'd have said so.

Even if they had 1,299, and that number was evenly spread between all the teams, that constitutes 14.12 fans per club. On the basis that I suspect they asked more fans of the big clubs, and even if they didn't, it does beg the question just how accurate is this survey?