Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Opening Track at a Gig

2»

Comments

• Options

Mr Pitiful, Otis Redding at the Finsbury Park Astoria, 1967. Spine tingling dynamite!

Otis Redding, imo, is the greatest singer who ever lived. So envious of you mate, unfortunately he died before I was born so never got the chance to see him live.
    Heard this from the very concert in 67
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQS5GALkrME
    Great, great singer Otis......
    Superb. Thanks for posting Ken.
  • Options
    Thanks to you all for posting so many varied and great sounds
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Good call on Zep and Immigrant Song .They opened every show with that from late '71 through to late '72 when it was superseded by Rock & Roll from Led Zep 4.

But my vote goes to Bob Marley and the Wailers and Trenchtown Rock at the Lyceum in July '75.

That moment when Bob ran on stage and sang the first line : ''One good t'ing 'bout music, when it 'its you feel no pain''. . .can see and hear it in my mind as if it was yesterday.

Like Addicketed , I still get a shiver down my backbone thinking about it.

• Options
    edited September 2012

For me it will always be "WaltzinBlack". The amount of times i have seen average support bands and the feeling when that tune comes on and then the Stranglers walking on stage is brilliant... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgfbtOqFmJ4

Back in about, ahem, 1982, they used to play waltzinblack over the speakers and have ballet dancers on stage - it actually worked very well, and was notable that it was a rare example of someone being on the stage before the Stranglers and not getting pelted. I used to think if the Beatles, including the deceased members and with Jimi Hendrix guesting, tried a support spot with the Strangs, they would have lasted about two songs....

My all time favourite was when they used to open with Down in the Sewer followed by Toiler on the Sea - a double whammy of epic proportions.

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-6CGEhS0Go

This still sends shivers down my spine. After waiting 30 years to see them, I wasn't disappointed.

Wasn't at this gig but went to brixton a few weeks later............
  • Options

I saw Bruce Springsteen one July 4, fittingly he opened with this track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OOSwqhCcCg

Yes, I remember that - I was there. Was it outdoors at Wembley Stadium?
    I was there the next night, and he opened with Born in the USA. Still great though.

Saw him do Independence Day at Wembley Arena in 1981 - another very special memory.
  • Options
    mart77 said:

Fucking in the Bushes was a great start to Oasis at Wembley.

Maybe, but what song did they open with?
  • Options
    Otis Redding, imo, is the greatest singer who ever lived. So envious of you mate, unfortunately he died before I was born so never got the chance to see him live.

Otis was a remarkable singer, he could belt out the fast stuff like "I can't turn you loose" and Sam Cooke's "Shake" with the best of them, but when the lights dimmed and he started to sing his truly sublime version of the Temptations "My Girl" well, I was, for a few minutes truly in soul heaven.

"Otis Blue" Otis's wonderful 1965 album remains one of my favourite records of all time.
  • Options
    Streams of Whiskey - The Pogues

Sets the gig up perfectly as everyone goes crazy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One Step Beyond at Madstock is a GREAT shout. I thought I was going to get crushed, stupidly being somewhere near the front. I think I can still hear 'HEY YOU!!!!' When I go to sleep every night, it was so f***ing loud. Night Boat To Cairo was even better though - one of my favourite songs, and everyone went absolutely mental to it.
  • Options
    I went to a Guns & Roses gig at Milton Keynes bowl a good few years back and they opened up with Night Train, which was pretty special. I was only about 10 people back from the front, in the mosh pit, so it went right off!
  • Options
    Off_it said:

This has been my favourite for years - a cracking Churchill/Maiden combo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zoCZ4QhOdU

Agree with you on that one. Also when they started with 'Be Quick or be Dead' in the 90's.

I'm seeing W.A.S.P on Friday night, I'd love them to kick off with "The Heretic (The Lost Child)'.

Other fave openers:

Judas Priest: 'The Hellion/Electric Eye'
    Motorhead: These days they start with 'We Are Motorhead' or 'Iron Fist' but I always preferred when they started with 'Doctor Rock'.
    Saxon: 'Dallas 1pm' or 'Princess of the Night'
    AC/DC: 'Thunderstruck'
    Pagan Altar: 'Pagan Altar'

• Options
    Fat Man In The Bathtub - Little Feat at The Rainbow in '77. The biz.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Get Ready For Love - Nick Cave
    Out to get you - James