Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Clarke scoring goals

edited September 2012 in General Charlton
If Leon Clarke keeps scoring goals I think he should come back and be given a proper chance here

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Like Hayes?

He should be given a proper chance to f*** right off.
  • Options

Like Hayes?

Not in agreement then?

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Nicely put.

Sorry, I get where you're coming from, but the point is he wasn't doing anything for us and was taking up space on the field where someone else could be.
  • Options
    I agree, drop BWP, Kermo, Fuller and Haynes and play Clarke up top alone
  • Options
    Bit early to be planning for league 1 already.
  • Options

3:24PM
    Bit early to be planning for league 1 already.
    Many a true word and all that.....................
  • Options
    It's like when we had Kay bothroyd he never had a proper chance
  • Options
    Mate, we got a lot of players in our history that never got a "proper chance".

Because they were sh.....
  • Options

It's like when we had Kay bothroyd he never had a proper chance

Was that his sister?

• Options
    Clarke had one terrible match last season and was then never in SCP mind, but Jackson has had a very bad start and it looks like SCP will stick with him, I think if Clarke is putting it great performances why should he not be able to have a chance with us after all he is still a CAFC player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How many did Clarke get at the weekend?
  • Options
    He has found his level. Just like Benno and Hayes.
  • Options

How many did Clarke get at the weekend?

Got the winner at Shrewsbury...

Manager Alan Knill admitted he was 'delighted' to see Scunthorpe United get their season up and running with a 1-0 win at Shrewsbury Town.

But, more importantly, he hopes it is a starting point for the Iron to answer their early-season critics.

Alan Knill became the first visiting manager to win at the Greenhous Meadow in 35 matches on Saturday - 18 months after he triumphed there with Bury. Picture: Phil Cook.

Knill had come under pressure following defeats in the first four games of the campaign and a failure to beat nine-man Sheffield United last week meant United had made their worst start to a season in 49 years.

Scunthorpe though looked a different team at the Greenhous Meadow, with the power and presence of Leon Clarke – who scored the game's only goal – and Karl Hawley making them much more dangerous in attack.

The Iron boss hopes it is the start of things to come as he attempts to build a side capable of challenging in the top half of the table with little financial muscle to flex.

"There's been a lot of rubbish flying around which the players read, but we're trying to keep the group close together," said Knill at the Greenhous Meadow.

"The only way you can answer any critics is on the pitch and that's that we're trying to do. Today was a big step for the group.

"We're still only six games in.

"Don't get me wrong, it's a results business, but around the results there has been some other things that have gone on.

"I said last week that the football club now is a different club to three years ago.

"We're all coming terms to with that, but everybody else needs to come to terms with it too.

"We're a League One team and by no means a League One team with the biggest budget.

"But we're trying our best to compete, financially put the club right and live to our means.

"Some of the players today were playing at their max and that's all we can ask from them."

Having combined for the Iron's goal in the fifth minute, Clarke and Hawley, who both made their first starts since moving to Glanford Park, were also praised for their work ethic without the ball.

They were the Iron's first line of defence, harrying and pressing Shrews defensive duo Darren Jones and Ruben Hazell to help Scunthorpe add a first clean sheet to a first victory.

"It's hard work (chasing down the ball) but you have to put that hard work in first and then the quality comes out," continued Knill, whose side ended Shrewsbury's 34-match unbeaten home run.

"They certainly did that and gave their two centre-halves no time whatsoever.

"They have been a big boost for everybody. We knew we needed some quality and they've added that to us.

"In nearly all our games, we've never really been battered - where Sam (Slocombe) has had to make really good saves.

"But I'm delighted that today we've come away with a clean sheet, that's something we can build on now.

"We build on being solid as a team because we think we can score goals.

"That's our season up and running. It's taken a while, but I thought we were good from start to finish today.

"I'll take 1-0, but in the game we had many chances to score."
  • Options
    He's scored again !
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Like Hayes?

Not in agreement then?

Had me laughing this little back and forth
  • Options
    Another for Clarke
  • Options
    Hope he keeps scoring so we can sell him, don't want him back.
  • Options
    Proving he's a proper league one player then.
  • Options
    League 1 is his level and I think he is better suited to being a big fish in a small pond.

I'm happy for him but more happy for us so hopefully someone will buy him in January.
  • Options
    I fear the issue with him is that he is a third division player on second division money. Until that imbalance is resolved he is likely to be stuck on our books scoring goals for other teams.

I can't see a team taking him permanently on a one year deal when they can loan him from us for a fraction of his wages, and I can't see Clarke taking a pay cut to move to a third division club.

Hopefully his performances there will enable us to get another third division team to take him on loan and pay a larger percentage of his wages until his contract runs out this summer..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck to him , lets not get too het up about him , i think KHA's first 2 sentences summed him up.
  • Options
    Hopefully he will continue to score and increase his value for a sale in January.

• Options
    I fear that we have made our minds up too quickly about him, we have literally seen him play no more than 3 times, like everyone else from what I have seen he has been toilet but that doesn't necessarily mean he is sh*t. I remember when Wiggins first joined he looked very average then turned out to be one of our best players. I have heard that he has a poor attitude which I cannot really comment on. I just fear that in a couple of years he will be top of the goal scoring charts and we will all be thinking, I wish we gave him more of a chance.
  • Options
    Not a championship player, that is why he is scoring goals. He has found his level, same as Benno did.
  • Options
    No chance! Absolutely no chance.
  • Options

I fear that we have made our minds up too quickly about him, we have literally seen him play no more than 3 times, like everyone else from what I have seen he has been toilet but that doesn't necessarily mean he is sh*t. I remember when Wiggins first joined he looked very average then turned out to be one of our best players. I have heard that he has a poor attitude which I cannot really comment on. I just fear that in a couple of years he will be top of the goal scoring charts and we will all be thinking, I wish we gave him more of a chance.

no way. He is a good league 1 striker at best.
  • Options

no way. He is a good league 1 striker at best.
    i hope your right
  • Options
    We may see him return with Yann facturing his ankle!!
  • Options
    argh crap.
  • Options
    Goody