Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I used to enjoy CL

13»

Comments

• Options
    In Russia many years ago the'Holy Fools' were men who babbled or spoke in obscure riddles. They were venerated and respected because it was assumed that they were being inspired by God.
    I can't for the life of me think why it seemed a good moment to mention that.
  • Options
    Personally think anyone who joined the Forum after July 2008 should be banned, young upstarts !!
  • Options
    I blame the clique
  • Options

So do I
  • Options
    Ive met some great people from the site over the years, but the bigger CL got the less Ive bothered contributing due to the back biting and in fighting. Its a shame, but thats life.
  • Options
    I like the site but tend to steer clear of participating in the heavy football debates and comment on less controversial threads.
  • Options
    I try and act in a kind of peace keeping role, injecting a bit if humour here and there.

; )
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Nug said:

I like the site but tend to steer clear of participating in the heavy football debates and comment on less controversial threads.

Bit like that myself, there are far more people on here who have a much greater knowledge of the 'game'/CAFC then I do, not really up to speed when we are talking tactics/individuals strengths and weaknessess etc, and am quite happty to let others inform me on what is going on...both on and off the pitch.....that said I'm still concerned about our midfield...but I'm certainly not the only one on that.
  • Options
    I’m sorry Lanc lad, Kings Hill and others if things ‘like that’ are spoiling your enjoyment. Can assure you that no one gets more frustrated than us.

We frequently (every few months) put out generic reminders / threats to try and improve forum behaviour, but i think that some people either don’t care, or just don’t think it applies to them.

What has to be put into perspective is this is now a long established community. With that there will always be spells of comparisons (not as good as it used to be etc) that always comes with longevity.

We can see from the stats that there continues to be more posts, more posters and more visits to the site than ever before. And with that you sometimes just have to shrug your shoulders and accept that this by nature will always create more issues, and put faith in the admin team to try and guide / control it the best they can.

But it will never, ever be ‘perfect’.

When you put a decent sized group of people together you are naturally going to get polar opposites. I always say to people don’t let it be all consuming. Establish the topics, and more importantly the posters you like and enjoy reading / debating with, and just skim read / ignore the rest. It is simply not important enough to bother wasting time and energy with people you don’t like, and it equally sours things for others. Accentuate the positives etc.

As for Henry (which i presume triggered this), he is what would be classed in forum terms as a prolific poster, twice as much as the nearest (‘non admin’ member). 98% of the time he is an asset to the forum who posts articulately, informative and knowledgably across a broad range of subjects. Sadly he has this belligerent, confrontational 2% in his locker that (from an admin point of view) just negates so much of the positive stuff because it is just so needless and unnecessary. The latest spat with IA is the prime example. There was nothing in IAs post to prompt a response but I went to bed on Saturday just knowing that by the time I woke up on Sunday, there would have been a snap back. It’s just so unnecessary. IA is one of my favourite contributors on here and (in my opinion) provides excellent contributions. I desperately want to encourage contributors like that, not force them away. I really hope IA changes his mind.

Despite the gripes, this is still maintained as the most ‘pleasant’ main club forum i’ve come across, and while we work hard to try and maintain that, it is to the most degree down to the integrity and approach of those that use it.

Please help us to try and maintain that guys.

Lets move on.
  • Options

I’m sorry Lanc lad, Kings Hill and others if things ‘like that’ are spoiling your enjoyment. Can assure you that no one gets more frustrated than us.

We frequently (every few months) put out generic reminders / threats to try and improve forum behaviour, but i think that some people either don’t care, or just don’t think it applies to them.

What has to be put into perspective is this is now a long established community. With that there will always be spells of comparisons (not as good as it used to be etc) that always comes with longevity.

We can see from the stats that there continues to be more posts, more posters and more visits to the site than ever before. And with that you sometimes just have to shrug your shoulders and accept that this by nature will always create more issues, and put faith in the admin team to try and guide / control it the best they can.

When you put a decent sized group of people together you are naturally going to get polar opposites. I always say to people don’t let it be all consuming. Establish the topics, and more importantly the posters you like and enjoy reading / debating with, and just skim read / ignore the rest. It is simply not important enough to bother wasting time and energy with people you don’t like, and it equally sours things for others. Accentuate the positives etc.

As for Henry (which i presume triggered this), he is what would be classed in forum terms as a prolific poster, twice as much as the nearest (‘non admin’ member). 98% of the time he is an asset to the forum who posts articulately, informative and knowledgably across a broad range of subjects. Sadly he has this belligerent, confrontational 2% in his locker that (from an admin point of view) just negates so much of the positive stuff because it is just so needless and unnecessary. The latest spat with IA is the prime example. There was nothing in IAs post to prompt a response but I went to bed on Saturday just knowing that by the time I woke up on Sunday, there would have been a snap back. It’s just so unnecessary. IA is one of my favourite contributors on here and (in my opinion) provides excellent contributions. I desperately want to encourage contributors like that, not force them away. I really hope IA changes his mind.

Despite the gripes, this is still maintained as the most ‘pleasant’ main club forum i’ve come across, and while we work hard to try and maintain that, it is to the most degree down to the integrity and approach of those that use it.

Lets move on.

Shove it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Henry Irving argumentative? Surely not ;-) I personally enjoy reasoned and supported arguments and HI is very good at that, except when he argues with me of course, which is downright unreasonable. I also enjoy reading IA, and, knowing he is a bellringer, hope he comes round :-)
  • Options
    I still enjoy this forum.

only thing which i feel is i post threads that i feel that people do not contribute to so it makes me feel as if im boring so i've stopped posting up many threads of my own.
  • Options

only thing which i feel is i post threads that i feel that people do not contribute to so it makes me feel as if im boring so i've stopped posting up many threads of my own.

ZZZZZzzzzz......

; )
  • Options

Why don't you send yourself an inbox message ?

You'll still have no one replying, but it will make you feel more popular :-)
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

ZZZZZzzzzz......

; )
    Haha.. see!
  • Options

Just do what I do, keep opening threads and bumping them until someone pays attention, or start a thread of a completely pointless word game and try and beat 8.5 thousand posts lol. If all else fails take off all your clothes and streak all over the match thread...
  • Options
    Sometime when I read Charlton Life things people post are so funny, and it makes me laugh so much that I swear it adds a day onto my life each time it happens.
    Sometimes a bit of a tussle, conducted well, helps me to sharpen my thinking about some things.
    I am very very grateful that we have this place to visit.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Sometime when I read Charlton Life things people post are so funny, and it makes me laugh so much that I swear it adds a day onto my life each time it happens.
    Sometimes a bit of a tussle, conducted well, helps me to sharpen my thinking about some things.
    I am very very grateful that we have this place to visit.

I remember some of these, and I agree that they do, indeed brighten up an otherwise dull day.
  • Options

Did someone say something ?

• Options

Did someone say something ?

Nah, plebs don't count and I will henceforth catergorically deny having used the p word.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I aspire to being a pleb, wonder if I'll ever reach those heights...sigh.
  • Options
    On any forum you have self-appointed 'gurus' who seem to be online most of the time making unhealthy number of posts that just shout 'I want to be noticed'. We all know who they are on this site.

The mistake people make is when they get annoyed they start interacting - that's it, then - you have taken the bait, and you're in a dialogue - if people annoy you - IGNORE THEM! No matter how tempting it is to remark, or ignorant they are being. Even writing completely negative stuff about them pleases these folk, because they are continually desperate to become the centre of attention. There are some posts where everyone is chatting that they will try and hi-jack with a comment, and when no-one replies, you see them try again. It's hilarious when no-one replies to them, as you sit imagining them constantly pressing 'refresh' waiting for anyone to throw them a bone to justify their existence!!

I've found on other forums, that the more snipy comments, jumping on people's backs at every opportunity, sarcastically criticising others (even those who are displaying their *own* behaviour) and trying to 'show off' about their 'pedigree' (on an online forum - as if!) - are primarily from these people. They want to be noticed, and actually i've found most of them are actually just sad, angry and bored people just desperate for mates/friends! (Must be reverse psychology or something!)

Anyway, I think this is much better than other forums that in that respect - and the camaraderie, advice (on ANYTHING), and humour makes up for all that. Everyone falls out from time to time. Just ignore the people who you find tiresome - there will ALWAYS be some on forums - and get out of it what you will!
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited September 2012
    When I first started posting on the site

Lets move on.

I think this is a good post. Unfortunately there are some people on the site whose self importance just gets in the way of reasonableness sometimes. Then they do come over as a bit boorish. I think it's a shame if this intimidates some people to the point that they stop posting. Having said that, from my own perspective, I like the site a lot because it really does keep me in touch with what's going on with Charlton. The knowledge and insight of some of the people on here is amazing. I've supported Charlton for over 50 years and consider myself pretty fanatical. To the point where I still don't like going near anything football related for a couple of days if Charlton have lost. I just can't bring myself to browse the football pages of newspapers and such like. However, I've seen people on here who are every bit as fanatical as me and I love it.

I suppose what I'm saying is that the site gives me a lot. I do get frustrated with the back biting and bickering but I can see through that for what it is and, for me, there are far more positives than negatives. I tell you one thing. If CL was to be no more I would miss it a lot and I think that would probably be true of more or less everyone who uses it, whether as a casual viewer or frequent poster. Long live Charlton Life I say.
  • Options
    The thing about forums like this, is that when serious issues concerning the club are discussed (e.g. the owners, the current financial situtation or when the team is struggling), people will have strong and passionate views, which sometimes spill over into abuse, it's difficult to avoid, especially as people have different views about what is a perfectly reasonable point, and what is unpleasant and offensive. I know Prague has been upset by the tone of a couple of my comments concerning the Trust, which certainly wasn't intentional...

I find these occasional disagreements disappointing, but don't stop this site being the best source of information about the club around, even if you don't necessarily agree with the information :-)
  • Options

Lets move on.

Shove it
    Made laugh! (Solly AFKA)
  • Options
    i must agree with this post , i tend to just read posts now, till the abuse starts , still the best fourm though
  • Options
    Viva CL!! I am from the Net Addicks days and this site is so much more pleasant and well run. As in real life we will always have differing views and levels of respect, but I too think that our world would be a poorer place if CL disappeared. And where would be the source of Would Ya's, Friday Pictures and other jokes come from then? Hell even Operation Pig can raise a smile on here.