Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby

Comments

• Options

Was that Eton or Harrow? Why didn't you simply go on to play for your country and the Lions?

Constructive comment! Well done!
  • Options
    never been into rugby but I’ve got a few friends that our and they have never particular brought up the subject of one being better than the other or come out with footballers are big girls. Apart from one guy… my cousin.
    He used to support Charlton but he started to play ruby and then began supporting some team (the one with several colours on their shirt) and now he's always banging on about how rugby is a mans sport and football is full of over paid pansies. which is true in some ways but because he was so into Charlton and then just stopped all together (you can’t turn love off and on just like a tap unless you were never in love in the first place) i have no time for his opinions.
  • Options

Was that Eton or Harrow? Why didn't you simply go on to play for your country and the Lions?

Haha! Post of the year.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Greenie said:

Not into Rugby, no skill in the game, unless you include the kicking element, in which case you may as well watch football.

Constructive comment.

Well done!

Really, ''no skill in the game''?

No skill in a ruck, a maul, a scrum, a line out?

No skill in tackling, passing, defending the line, defending set pieces?

Really?

You really are making an astonishingly ignorant statement.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    went to a 'rugby' school St. Josephs blackheath and we were forced to play rugby the first term at secondary school
    2nd term approx hundred boys given a choice to chose between rugby and football ...... shock horror 20 rugby 80 football ,they then drew lots to move some of us footballers across to rugby,
    when the final kid was moved across and it wasn't me i punched the air with delight , i was spotted by the prick head of sports mr fucking bacon and he moved me across to rugby for the next term, i cried ;-(
    from that day on i hate rugby with complete irrational passion , every game england play i want them to lose , i don't want the kids of our nation playing that crap, i hate it i hate it i hate it....
    30 years on and yes complete bitterness towards it and i wont let it go , even easing my kids away from a rugby ball if they so much have a look at one in the sport shop

WIBBLE WIBBLE WIBBLE

saying that the behaviour of punters who play and watch rugby is a lot nicer than some of the helms that are into footy but that may just be a numbers thing rather than ratio but i'm not sure
  • Options
    No mate no skill all the elements u have referred to apart from passing require brute strength rather than skill! Even in the line outs they lift each other up! Defending set pieces etc is about organisation, last time I looked being a well organised team is not a skill! Like I said the conversion part is the only true skill do u may as well watch football!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Greenie said :- "There is no skill in rugby other than the ability to catch a ball that is designed to
    be caught when passed correctly!"

In the interests of our new & cordial behaviour on CL I must say that I profoundly disagree with that statement, which is possibly not quite correct :-)
  • Options
    Greenie said:

No mate no skill all the elements u have referred to apart from passing require brute strength rather than skill! Even in the line outs they lift each other up! Defending set pieces etc is about organisation, last time I looked being a well organised team is not a skill! Like I said the conversion part is the only true skill do u may as well watch football!

Are you on a deliberate, if Ill informed wind up here? If so, fair play to you. You're keeping it up well. If not, then you are fail. There is more skill involved in most rugby matches than in most football matches. Just because YOU can't see and appreciate it, doesn't mean it isn't there.

• Options
    I played Rugby when I was younger and then vet football. Both great games to play. Largely different skill sets though but there are similarities depending on the position. For example nippy scrum halves often make good midfield players (good athletic ability and vision). Not sure about prop forwards or hookers though. Can't really think of an equivalent in football.

I much prefer football over Rugby to watch.
  • Options
    Not a fan of Union but I got into League when the London Broncos made a temporary home of The Valley years ago. Excellent entertainment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Because football Is alot more popular, a die hard rugby fan is more likely to highlight the bad things about football then the other way round.
  • Options
    Love Rugby. And despite being better at football, as well as following football more, I find Rugby more interesting to play.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Sorry, hadn't twigged you were on a wind up.
  • Options
    Sorry but the majority of Rugby fans p!ss me off with the anti-Football tripe they come out with. Equally what annoys me are Football fans who pretend to be big Rugby fans when the World Cup comes on and they start slagging off Football, the England team etc.

"Real mans game" = Very insecure.
  • Options
    Not hard to slag the England team is it. Been a bunch of self interested tossers.
  • Options

went to a 'rugby' school St. Josephs blackheath and we were forced to play rugby the first term at secondary school
    2nd term approx hundred boys given a choice to chose between rugby and football ...... shock horror 20 rugby 80 football ,they then drew lots to move some of us footballers across to rugby,
    when the final kid was moved across and it wasn't me i punched the air with delight , i was spotted by the prick head of sports mr fucking bacon and he moved me across to rugby for the next term, i cried ;-(
    from that day on i hate rugby with complete irrational passion , every game england play i want them to lose , i don't want the kids of our nation playing that crap, i hate it i hate it i hate it....
    30 years on and yes complete bitterness towards it and i wont let it go , even easing my kids away from a rugby ball if they so much have a look at one in the sport shop

WIBBLE WIBBLE WIBBLE

saying that the behaviour of punters who play and watch rugby is a lot nicer than some of the helms that are into footy but that may just be a numbers thing rather than ratio but i'm not sure

i'm sure on your 'reasons to hate rugby' list is the fact that the fans sit together making it impossible to determine accurate, away fan stats.
  • Options

Not hard to slag the England team is it. Been a bunch of self interested tossers.

Know them well do you? Or just bandwagon talk?
  • Options
    Never really been a fan, and i went Campion school in Essex which is a mad rugby secondary school.

Couldn't understand the people playing it, they were so happy to walk about the changing rooms naked for hours, their bits flapping everywhere as they talk to their other clothe-less mates.
    As a 1st year you were bullied into playing it, and i made a special point of being completely shit so that i received as few call ups as possible so that i continue playing football.

A game for the fat kids who weren't skillful enough to play a sport with their feet.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Know them well do you? Or just bandwagon talk?
    I've followed England abroad to Sardinia in 1990 for the World Cup and Belgium in 2000 for the Euros so I've done my time.

You?

• Options

No skill in rugby? Very obviously know nothing about it and have never played the game. Hugely technical team sport with far wider range of physical requirements than football.

Back to Big Rob's point at the start, I find far more rugby fans are into football and it's the footie fans who can't handle or don't understand "egg-chasing."

As some would say...This. I'm an ex Charlton Park player and still go down there when it doesn't clash with CAFC matches. Quite a few Charlton fans down there so I'm not sure where Big Rob's view about them comes from.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2012
    i took my little boy football training at a few different places but i just couldn't hack some of the parents on the sidelines, just too much hatred inside them screaming at their little alfie to take out some other poor little sod that just wanted to play the game. this at under 7's in training ffs. just let the coaches get on with it you bellends.

now he does rugby and really loves it, i don't get any stress and it's just so civilised and maybe too social for me really, everyone is chilled and there is great enjoyment for both of us.

doubt i could watch club rugby but watching 3rd division football was shite too.
  • Options
    There are some real, even by our standards, cranks on here.
  • Options

i took my little boy football training at a few different places but i just couldn't hack some of the parents on the sidelines, just too much hatred inside them screaming at their little alfie to take out some other poor little sod that just wanted to play the game. this at under 7's in training ffs. just let the coaches get on with it you bellends.

now he does rugby and really loves it, i don't get any stress and it's just so civilised and maybe too social for me really, everyone is chilled and there is great enjoyment for both of us.

doubt i could watch club rugby but watching 3rd division football was shite too.

Same here, my boy couldn't stand football training so now plays touch rugby and really enjoys it.
  • Options

is that the england football team with your rooneys/terrys/whoever being put on the front and back pages of the tabloids for their shagging and other misdemeanors?
    or the rugby team for their latest dwarf throwing/jumping off ferries/whatever cipriani is doing?
    or the cricketers for getting p**sed up and taking to pedalos/ball tampering?

i'd guess its the footballers you are referring to. if the others sold more papers we'd know a lot more about them.
  • Options
    well said pbs
  • Options
    Went to Wembley to see the aviva prem with a mate two weeks ago, and really could not get into it?
    Reminded me of American soccer, music, cheer leaders, blokes running on with water every sixty seconds?
    So much stoppage, and lack of play. Amazed there were so many young woman there.
    Left slightly early to avoid the rush, and listen to the football results, to be honest.
    Been a long time since I have been to a rugby game, but even with free tickets, would not rush back quickly.
    Give me a football park, any day of the week.
  • Options
    Taking my son to Harlequins V Saracans on Sunday. He has always wanted to see a game of rugby, and although he loves his football. Looking forward to a completely different atmosphere as well as going as neutral in which is something i have never done at a sporting event.
  • Options
    edited September 2012

is that the england football team with your rooneys/terrys/whoever being put on the front and back pages of the tabloids for their shagging and other misdemeanors?
    or the rugby team for their latest dwarf throwing/jumping off ferries/whatever cipriani is doing?
    or the cricketers for getting p**sed up and taking to pedalos/ball tampering?

i'd guess its the footballers you are referring to. if the others sold more papers we'd know a lot more about them.
    But surely jumping off and a ferry and trying to swim a shore is a skill?

I personally don't like going to Premiership rugby, to strerile for me, much prefer standing up with a pint and watching Blackheath.

• Options
    I don't mind a bit of rugby (having played it at school) but not being an expert find that the sheer number of penalties for what seem (to me) minor and often confusing disgressions rather spoil the spectacle for me. Hockey has that problem too, with 'set' pieces dominating scoring too much.

The freakish power of the modern professional game is offputting too, I'm 6'2, and in the old days would be the lanky guy in the 2nd row, whereas these days the centres and wingers are all well over 6 foot and massively strong too, the lock forwards are 6'6' upwards, while props run around like Mo Farah. It's great that the best footballer in the world (Messi) is only 5'7, proving that power and size aren't everything.