Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby

13»

Comments

• Options

cafctom said:

Not hard to slag the England team is it. Been a bunch of self interested tossers.

Know them well do you? Or just bandwagon talk?
    I've followed England abroad to Sardinia in 1990 for the World Cup and Belgium in 2000 for the Euros so I've done my time.

You?

Nothing to do with my experiences with England, I'm not the one calling them self-interested tossers like I know them personally.

• Options
    Fun to play, boring to watch.
  • Options

Went to Wembley to see the aviva prem with a mate two weeks ago, and really could not get into it?
    Reminded me of American soccer, music, cheer leaders, blokes running on with water every sixty seconds?
    So much stoppage, and lack of play. Amazed there were so many young woman there.
    Left slightly early to avoid the rush, and listen to the football results, to be honest.
    Been a long time since I have been to a rugby game, but even with free tickets, would not rush back quickly.
    Give me a football park, any day of the week.

I used to work with a lovely young Malaysian lady and tried once to offer her the chance to see the mighty Charlton Athletic using my season ticket because I couldn't go. Bear in mind this is the 'Premiership Years'. She refused and said she'd rather watch Rugby because the players were 'real men' and 'hunky'. Just trying to explain the presence of so many young women...
  • Options
    All interesting points, I just don't understand why some people compare the two sports.
  • Options
    No comparison to be made Big Rob - different sports.

I went to a very good Footballing school and an exceptional Rugby university - great mates from both 20+ years later but interestingly they rarely mix.

Love a Rugby international - been to a few Wales England games and always fun. England football (at home) is so boring, away very lively. Never been to an England Rugby game away but bet it would be a laugh.
  • Options
    I do think the rugby fans find are shocked at the lack of respect in football which puts them off it or makes them anti-football.

In someways football could learn a lot from rugby in that regard.
  • Options
    I still think it's a class thing. Lots of Rugby players don't like football because they think it's played by working class louts. What's that saying "Rugby is a hooligans sport played by gentlemen and Football is a gentleman's sport played by hooligans". Now I wonder if that originated from the Rugby element or the football element.
  • Options
    Rob said:

I still think it's a class thing. Lots of Rugby players don't like football because they think it's played by working class louts. What's that saying "Rugby is a hooligans sport played by gentlemen and Football is a gentleman's sport played by hooligans". Now I wonder if that originated from the Rugby element or the football element.

To be honest as much as I prefer football, that statement is pretty accurate. The modern day footballer, barring a handful, are all arrogant, self indulgent, overpaid with no real respect for each other. Yes you still get these types in rugby, but it is a lot rarer. In rugby everything is left on the field. There just wouldn't the silly Ferdinand/Terry, Ramsey/Shawcross, Suarez/Evra fall outs, people just get on with it in rugby. Look at the way Chris Ashton shook hands with and hugged Manu Tuilagi after Tuilagi had landed 3 of the biggest punches I have ever seen on Ashton during the game (and Ashton is actually one of the more arrogant and cocky rugby players out there). Don't get me wrong obviously there are many exceptions to the statement, but generally I think Rugby players definitely have more respect for their peers than footballers do.
  • Options
    I used to play rugby on a Saturday morning and football Sundays, gave rugby up before I was old enough to really get into the social side. Wish I hadn't, I played at a good standard for a very good club and I was above average at best as a footballer.

Still keep in touch with my rugby mates and went on a few tours with them years ago.

Can't compare the two, you need a level of brain-limb co-ordination and fitness to play both. Rugby is definitely more of a team driven sport but that's no slant on football.

The biggest thing I liked more with rugby was what was previously mentioned, I played as flanker and that position basically involved making as many enemies on the field as was possible over 80 minutes and getting smashed up a fair bit myself. I never once had any aggro off the pitch with anyone. I got bitten, head butted, stamped and trampled on and even had a number 8 try and jam his thumb up my dirt box once on the pitch but it is genuinely forgotten about or at least left on the pitch.

Can't say the football

But hopping back on the fence, I love both sports
  • Options
    I used to play rugby and love watching both football and rugby. Whilst there have been some adverse stories about rugby players, they are not on the scale of the ones about footballers, who I do think in many cases at the top level are overpaid, arrogant and behave appallingly on and off the pitch. One thing I wish would happen is the discipline towards officials shown by rugby players could be echoed on the football pitch. In rugby you don't question the decisions and get carded if you do. maybe John Terry and the ilk would be less keen to give the ref the benefit of their opinion if they got booked as soon as they did? Never seen trouble at any rugby game either, in fact quite the opposite; lots of banter and signing especially after Scotland v Wales internationals
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In rugby you don't question the decisions and get carded if you do

You play rugby and think you get carded for disputing a referee's decision? The sanction is the automatic loss of ten yards. Do that more than occasionally and your team mates will be the one carding you.

Comparing the two sports is like comparing ornages and apples - in terms of skill there's more in one footballer than in an entire rugby team but then rugby is about awareness, being a team player and knowing when to attack, when to pass or kick and having a stronger grasp of strategy. A bit like chess at times.

• Options
    touch, hold, engage .... collapse, penalty .. what IS that all about
  • Options

Preventing players from getting their necks broken and if it still happens then the IRB can claim that they put sufficient procedures in place which should get them off a nasty legal bill and having to pay millions in damages.

• Options
    On the other hand, you don't get deliberate eye gouging and biting in football...
  • Options

On the other hand, you don't get deliberate eye gouging and biting in football...

It's illegal in both sports.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Sorry, my comment was badly worded Yes back 10m for a comment. But I was thinking more about getting carded for the sort of reactions footballers have. I wasn't doing a full analysis of the 2 games but was saying I wish the footballers would behave better on and off the field. And less surrounding the ref, arguing and trying to influence him (or her). And less diving. Not saying there aren't issues in rugby
  • Options

Preventing players from getting their necks broken and if it still happens then the IRB can claim that they put sufficient procedures in place which should get them off a nasty legal bill and having to pay millions in damages.

I appreciate that, although a measure of 'volenti non fit injuria' should apply .. I was thinking more of the wasted time spent constantly resetting set scrummages only to have the scrum collapse, the referee giving a penalty, usually to the home side, followed by another hold up while the kicker adjusts his tee.
    The set scrum is a mess and the IRB need to get it sorted
  • Options

Sorry, my comment was badly worded Yes back 10m for a comment. But I was thinking more about getting carded for the sort of reactions footballers have. I wasn't doing a full analysis of the 2 games but was saying I wish the footballers would behave better on and off the field. And less surrounding the ref, arguing and trying to influence him (or her). And less diving. Not saying there aren't issues in rugby

As you point out there are rules to stop that in rugby whereas officials in football let players get away with the abuse/cheating.

Is there a situation where you could "dive" in rugby apart from when scoring a try?

Your right about the off field stuff but is that down to the difference in culture and up-brigning of certain players?

• Options
    edited September 2012

As you point out there are rules to stop that in rugby whereas officials in football let players get away with the abuse/cheating.

Is there a situation where you could "dive" in rugby apart from when scoring a try?

Your right about the off field stuff but is that down to the difference in culture and up-brigning of certain players?

This is all I can think of in terms of rugby players 'diving'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qSG6IaBmfM
  • Options
    There are issues in Rugby. What about the Harlequins fake blood controversy.