Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Liverpool v Man United: Shelvey just sent off

2»

Comments

• Options
    And RVP just got a yellow for a challenge that looked as bad if not worse that the Shelvey one. LOL
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Watching this game it is amazing that some people still claim Man Utd dont get help from the officials.
  • Options
    No more than a yellow for shelvey! Halsey is an appalling ref he's already had one red card recinded! I reckon Liverpool wil appeal!
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Watching this game it is amazing that some people still claim Man Utd dont get help from the officials.

I think that's what shelves was trying to say to Fergie as he went off ...

• Options

agreed .. all the 'big' clubs .. Luiz got away with one yesterday that if it'd been the Stoke player committing the foul, he'd'a been red carded and banned for 6
  • Options

agreed .. all the 'big' clubs .. Luiz got away with one yesterday that if it'd been the Stoke player committing the foul, he'd'a been red carded and banned for 6
    The "bigger" clubs get more help but Man Utd are on a different level.
  • Options
    I think Halsey will be collecting a brown parcel in the post in the near future.
  • Options
    We need video tech in football, as it would stop the bias.

I would use a Tennis system where the 4th official checks quickly on the screen and each manager has one challenge per match which he gets back if he is right, that would stop managers using it all the time but make sure big game changing mistakes don't happen.

This is meant to be a sport but yet many of the fans and seemingly the officials have differing view of the rules, how can that be.
  • Options

To be fair (I hate that expression), Liverpool during the 70s and 80s had well over their quota of refereeing decisons .. at one point they went about 2 years without conceding a penalty .. what goes around etc etc
  • Options

To be fair (I hate that expression), Liverpool during the 70s and 80s had well over their quota of refereeing decisons .. at one point they went about 2 years without conceding a penalty .. what goes around etc etc
    I can understand that but im sure not every other club who has had to play Man Utd, has had 10/15 years of bias to even it out.

Im not saying the ref's do it on purpose but i think due to the way Fergie is in english football, at the back of there mind they are more likely to make pro Man Utd decisions, hopefully Man City will eclipse them in the future, got a lot of respect for them as a club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Harsh. Evans' tackle was arguably worse because his two feet were together. Jonjo's tackle was clumsy and he looked a bit caught up in the atmosphere but it wasn't a malicious tackle imho.

@Absurdistan A polite request for future reference, when starting match threads/TV threads etc, please don't put spoilers in the thread title - the game kicked off at 5 am here in Canada so I had it recorded to watch with my Bacon sandwich but thanks to this thread I knew Jonjo was going to be off before I watched the game.
  • Options
    Exiled_Addick: how was he going to title the thread then? It's either putting a title that is off topic or not discussing the game for 24 hours..!
  • Options

Harsh. Evans' tackle was arguably worse because his two feet were together. Jonjo's tackle was clumsy and he looked a bit caught up in the atmosphere but it wasn't a malicious tackle imho.

@Absurdistan A polite request for future reference, when starting match threads/TV threads etc, please don't put spoilers in the thread title - the game kicked off at 5 am here in Canada so I had it recorded to watch with my Bacon sandwich but thanks to this thread I knew Jonjo was going to be off before I watched the game.

Like someone on here mentioned a plot development in the new 'Homeland' .. I won't repeat the spoiler .. but if you're on another continent ? ... come home .. all is forgiven .. you'll just have to stay offline until you've caught up
  • Options

Sorry Exiled, in future I will put "you won't believe what just happened". LOL
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Exiled_Addick: how was he going to title the thread then? It's either putting a title that is off topic or not discussing the game for 24 hours..!

The thread title says "Shelvey Just Sent Off", therefore just by scrolling through the list of threads I found out Shelvey had been sent off. If it just said Liverpool vs Man Utd, I'd wouldn't have found out because I wouldn't have opened the thread knowing I didn't want to know the score.

Not asking people not to talk about the the game, just asking them to confine specific details to the thread so those of us avoiding the result can still use CL in the meantime.
  • Options

Sorry Exiled, in future I will put "you won't believe what just happened". LOL
    That would work just fine! Not a big deal, just a minor annoyance.
  • Options
    Have known JonJo had that in his locker since orient away. have waited for a big game that he would start and had a small bet on him getting a red @22s
  • Options
    Can't blame the ref for sending him off, both feet off the floor. Only harsh when seen from the right angle in slow mo. From a decent angle you''ll see he actually only won the ball with his trailing leg.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:

Can't blame the ref for sending him off, both feet off the floor. Only harsh when seen from the right angle in slow mo. From a decent angle you''ll see he actually only won the ball with his trailing leg.

If you watch the slow-mo video you will see that his foot is flicked up by the toe of Evans foot. Evans has both feet in the air and actually looks the worse of the two.
    They both dived in and should have got equal punishment.

• Options
    In real time it looked a red card all the way. Slo mo suggested it was worth a yellow. Halsey only gets one look.

Now, if you want to talk about shocking tackles look at Luiz on Walters yesterday. If Shawcross had done that he'd been banned for 5-6 matches.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    on MOTD with benefit of hindsight Lawrenson who is as biased as they come said it was a red so that settles it!
  • Options
    It's a yellow card offence not red.
  • Options
    Not a red in my book got to go for that contact with the ball get on with it.
  • Options
    If it had been against Reading it would have probably been just a yellow but as it was against Man U different ball game I'm afraid. When United or Chelsea are involved there is always a conspiracy theory I'm afraid.
  • Options
    I thought Evans challenge was worse. Seen people sent off before for two feet off the ground and playing the ball.

If both had been yellow then fair enough. But red for Shelvey was poor reffing IMO.

On a side note I did enjoy Shelvey tearing into Rio Ferdinand when Rio was clearly telling the ref to send him off.
  • Options

Have known JonJo had that in his locker since orient away. have waited for a big game that he would start and had a small bet on him getting a red @22s

that tackle in the first minute he absolutely flew into the bloke, hilarious. he always seems to pick a fight with the biggest/ugliest bloke on the oppo team

• Options
    This is the sort of thing that we also need video referees for because a wrong decision will lead to a team being reduced.
  • Options
    As I said use technology. The tackle goes in and the ref has one angle, one speed and one chance to see it and make up his mind if it's yellow or red and it influences the game no end. Yellow when it's red punishes the opponents (think Ronald Koeman v England in 1993) or red when it's yellow punishes that team (think Shelvey (possibly)) as it's hard enough playing with 11 against United let alone 10. These are massive decisions which need to be correct. The laws are ambiguous and are open to interpretation and everyone will have a different opinion. Personally, I think both Shelvey and Evans were lunging for the ball it's just that JE got there a fraction first. It's to do with endangering the safety of an opponent and not being in control of your body. Whilst Shelvey wasn't a clear cut leg breaker he wasn't in control and was lunging with studs showing so ref was well within his right to show red. I would say it was an orange as it was somewhere between red and yellow. Also JE laying there as if shot didn't help JJS's case. Everything Mark Halsey has to consider. Who'd be a referee? Oops, me!
  • Options
    Away from the incident, Shelvey has really filled out since last season, added a lot of muscle. Thinking more and more he could be an England player in the next couple of years
  • Options
    If they simply replaced the red card with a 15 minute sin-bin it would solve most of the problems. The game wouldn't be "ruined" plus ref's would be less likely to "bottle" big red card decisions.