Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Article: Teletext- RIP

13»

Comments

• Options
    remember when the scores were all on one page and you could use the 'update' button. then you'd return to watching the tele normally and the page number would appear in the top corner when a goal went in.
  • Options
    Totally agree with everyone here. Great memories of childhood. ................ do people remember the radio equivalent which was 'Afternoon Delight' on Capital Radio (I think) when they would blow a whistle between songs when a goal had been scored in a London club's game? Always made you nervous when the whistle blew because (usually, it seemed) the goal in the Charlton game was against Charlton! My biggest memory of that was the 5-5 draw with Bristol Rovers; the game where Andy Nelson allegedly blamed Dave Shipperley for all of their goals.
  • Options
    How times change. Remember being out shopping as a youngster and me and my dad just standing watching the T.V. outside Radio Rentals in Bexleyheath while the page changed.

We used to do the trick of pressing up to the page above then pressing back down to the page we wanted thinking that it made the page turn over.
  • Options
    Great times.
    When the "transfer window" closed towards the end of the season there would be pages and pages of transfers. Much more enjoyable going through all of them than it is listening to Jim White in this day and age. Remember seeing we had signed Danny Mills and Eddie Youds on there back in 1998
  • Options
    We used to try and find the most boring page possible, and once came across a knitting pattern on there.
    A whole page of K1,P2,K1,P1....

They used to also have the moves of chess matches on there too.
  • Options
    Mixed
  • Options
    Whenever me and the missus were out shopping on a Saturday, I would make my way to Currys or dixons and use the remotes to put on ceefax . It used to piss the staff off as a crowd would soon gather. Anyone really interested in buying a tv really struggled to get round as one of us would always be in the way. Haha. In the end they took to hiding the remotes, the feckers. I was always desperate to see FT when winning. Seemed to take forever .Good memories.
  • Options
    I used to remember as a kid if Charlton were away I'd sit and religiously watch the scores until final score came on at 4.30pm on BBC1. I also used to like the subtitle service on page 888 when the typist was doing it live some of the words typed out would not be what was being said!
    Who also remembers Video Plus? You'd enter the number into your VCR and it'd video/tape that programme. Just illustrates how basic tv was pre-Sky+.
  • Options

When I was not at a game, I'd hold a cushion over the screen so I could only see the oppositions score ! Thus heightened tension before I revealed ours. Was the only one who did this ?

:o) used to do that but the other way round! The missus thought it was weird but it became a ritual, I could not check in a 'normal' way. Ever.

Nice to be reminded of Clubcall in the op. Once called it after a night on the lash, didn't put the handset down properly and ran up a charge of £189. My mum was annoyed.
  • Options
    And I once had a letter published on Ceefax's letters page slagging off the Tories, William Hague in particular. Good times.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can only echo......

- The cushion over Charltons score.
    - Decending on Dixons at 4.30pm on a Sat.
    - putting normal telly back on whilst waiting for the page to get to the one you want, only to miss it again and have to wait all over again.
    -The excitement of the number of pages changing, meaning goals....somewhere!!
  • Options
    What was the point in mix.

You could neither read ceefax not see what was on the box!
  • Options
    Really was strange
  • Options
    Mine still works on satellite. Nothing has changed 302 = football; 555 is lotto results etc.
  • Options
    Used to read this before and after school and wait for the old goal flashes!
  • Options
    Bump

Ceefax would have been 40 years old today
  • Options

Bump

Ceefax would have been 40 years old today

And Still waiting for the page to turn over to our score
  • Options
    page 390 for London sport to see any snippets about charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great game. When their second went in, I said to my mates I still reckon we will get something out of this.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

page 390 for London sport to see any snippets about charlton.

It was on there that I saw us being linked with Javier Saviola lol!