Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bomber Command Veterans Personally Liable

edited October 2012 in Not Sports Related
for costs of the memorial opened by the Queen earlier this year.

If this article is correct then, in my opinion anyway, that is an absolute disgrace.

http://www.fleetstreetfox.com/2012/10/ugly-things.html

Comments

• Options
    Only in Britain. Our 'rulers' and 'administarators' are a bunch of lilly livered, mean spirited little pen pushers.
  • Options
    Very sad reading that.
  • Options
    Disgrace
  • Options
    Yet we're giving 12bn in foreign aid? makes you sick
  • Options
    Did anyone see the documentaries on Bomber Command which were shown a while ago? It has taken them a long time to get any recognition.
  • Options
    Just the sort of sick joke you would expect.
  • Options
    Doesn't surprised me with this country.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Did anyone see the documentaries on Bomber Command which were shown a while ago? It has taken them a long time to get any recognition.

Because of the damage done to the poor Hun. As Harris said 'they sowed a wind, they will reap a whirlwind'. I doubt that many Germans shed tears over Coventry, Plymouth, Guernica, Warsaw, Hull, Rotterdam and London. But after all our 'Queen' is a hun and her retarded father may have had a few qualms at his cousin's factories and estates being obliterated and asked Winnie not to go too overboard with congratulations to Bomber Command
  • Options
    Absolute fucking disgrace.
  • Options
    Is this real or one of those satirical type websites ? Surely this can't be an actual, truthful story ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2012
    se9addick said:

Is this real or one of those satirical type websites ? Surely this can't be an actual, truthful story ?

For real sadly.

They weren't even given medals either.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22953
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19823159

It is genuine alright. The MoD is infested with arseholes, has been for years. I hope a bomb drops on the tossers who push pens inside it.
  • Options
    What an absolute disgrace. Surely the government have to see sense and sort this out.
  • Options
    Sign this pettition which has been set up on the direct web site http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/39735
  • Options
    That's the one I linked higher up about the fact that they were not given medals.

The one Dansk_Red linked is about the financial shortfall.

In other words sign them both!!
  • Options
    That one is for a medal, rather then funding for the memorial. I've signed both.

• Options
    Rather than sign petitions why don't you make a donation towards the outstanding costs?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Dansk_Red said:

Sign this pettition which has been set up on the direct web site http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/39735

only 25 signees so far .. get EVERYone you know to rally round. The petition is open for a year
  • Options
    Just signed it and posted it all over Facebook too
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

Rather than sign petitions why don't you make a donation towards the outstanding costs?

what I could afford would make an infinitesimal dent in the debt. Besides that this is a matter of national pride, fuck the peacenicks, these men died for us in their thousands
  • Options

iainment said:

what I could afford would make an infinitesimal dent in the debt. Besides that this is a matter of national pride, fuck the peacenicks, these men died for us in their thousands
    Well it's not important enough for you to give a quid towards then. You could do both - sign and donate. That way your outrage is expressed and the veterans get off the hook.
  • Options
    iainment said:

I would be prepared to do just that if I knew where to donate but at the same time think that the State, which sent them to War, has a moral obligation to fund this.

And yes I know that the State has no resources other than that raised by taxpayers.

I can make a lot of suggestions as to where the shortfall can be found which will probably meet the approval of the majority of taxpayers.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

iainment said:

I would be prepared to do just that if I knew where to donate but at the same time think that the State, which sent them to War, has a moral obligation to fund this.

And yes I know that the State has no resources other than that raised by taxpayers.

I can make a lot of suggestions as to where the shortfall can be found which will probably meet the approval of the majority of taxpayers.
    I think if people started actually to raise a few bob that the government would be embarassed into covering the cost - it is after all a pr nightmare for them. I have no faith in epetitions.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    iainment said:

iainment said:

Well it's not important enough for you to give a quid towards then. You could do both - sign and donate. That way your outrage is expressed and the veterans get off the hook.
    You misunderstand and are presuming you know how 'important' this is to me .. I'll put in my quid or more if/when an appeal for money is forthcoming. An elementary grasp of arithmetic will show you that 600,000 need to put in £1 .. or 60,000 to put in £10 etc etc .. not six million as I at first misread
  • Options

iainment said:

iainment said:

You misunderstand and are presuming you know how 'important' this is to me .. I'll put in my quid or more if/when an appeal for money is forthcoming. An elementary grasp of arithmetic will show you that 6,000,000 need to put in £1 .. or 600,000 to put in £10 etc etc ..
    The shortfall is £500,000 according to the BBC - that should be attainable I'd have thought. If not then the whole point of the memorial becomes questionable.

• Options
    iainment said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

You misunderstand and are presuming you know how 'important' this is to me .. I'll put in my quid or more if/when an appeal for money is forthcoming. An elementary grasp of arithmetic will show you that 6,000,000 need to put in £1 .. or 600,000 to put in £10 etc etc ..
    The shortfall is £500,000 according to the BBC - that should be attainable I'd have thought. If not then the whole point of the memorial becomes questionable.

as I and others have said, the amount is not really the point .. I'm sure that an appeal could easily raise 1/2 million .. the point is that a parsimonious government is prepared to let these brave war vererans go cap in hand asking for money rather than footing the bill
  • Options
    iainment said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

The point here is to shame the government into doing what's right, not to bail them out and cough up ourselves.

• Options
    Rizzo said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

The point here is to shame the government into doing what's right, not to bail them out and cough up ourselves.

At the risk of having no monument and the veterans being made bankrupt? That's a good idea. And you'd feel all warmhearted about doing the right thing in principle.

• Options
    If your answer is to stick your hand in your pocket to sort out every fuck up the government makes then the veterans aren't going to be the only ones made bankrupt.