Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Boys of Winter DON'T return. Hockey is NOT here again

The NHL today officially announced the cancellation of regular season games through to October 24th. Seems like only yesterday the entire season was cancelled back in 2004/2005. Massive own goal by the owners, who want to decrease the share of money the players get from revenue, despite hockey getting pretty popular again over the past couple of seasons. A good comparison can be drawn between the amount of money teams plonk down on NHL players' salaries versus footballers' salaries as a percetnage of income - currently around 55% in the NHL as opposed to 70% in the premiership/90% in the championship

Pathetic situation all round.

Comments

• Options
    Millionaires arguing over whether they should be getting more money from Billionaires while, in the meantime, the Millionaires fly east to be paid handsomely elsewhere.

Pathetic is the word.
  • Options
    Does that mean the Maple Leafs won't lose until at least 25th October?
  • Options
    Have to agree with Donald Fehr's comments today: “A lockout should be the last resort in bargaining, not the strategy of first resort.”

I think we'll be lucky to see any hockey before January 1, if at all this season. Just glad this is one year when I've no trips to the US planned during the regular season.
  • Options
    Love ice hockey, dad introduced it to me whilst visiting relatives outside toronto. Half follow an OHL team, don't really know much about NHL
  • Options
    Now, that's one American sport I just can't get into.
  • Options
    Rob said:

It's not American. It's Canadian.
  • Options
    not sure what the situration is here, but cant the governing body (if there is one) inforce a law on how revenue is used?
  • Options
    Rob said:

next time you're in north america, go to a game (if they have the nhl on that is). Its bloody brutal, war on ice. Fantastic spectator sport, fast paced but you're not overwhelmed by point scoring plus the punch ups are fantastic!
  • Options
    Seems to be a pattern forming in US sport over the last few years. NFL player lockouts, NFL refs, basketball player, now NHL all striking over money. Nothing like playing for the enjoyment, passion and pride.
  • Options

Rob said:

next time you're in north america, go to a game (if they have the nhl on that is). Its bloody brutal, war on ice. Fantastic spectator sport, fast paced but you're not overwhelmed by point scoring plus the punch ups are fantastic!
    I live in America (California). I went to a game a few years ago but I just can't get into it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Rob said:

It's not American. It's Canadian.
    True

• Options
    Rob said:

Rob said:

I live in America (California). I went to a game a few years ago but I just can't get into it.
    fair enough. Maybe try it again if its been a few years? I'm very jealous that you live out there btw.
  • Options
    This thread is a bit of a a boomer as i was hoping to watch this before my free ESPN subscription ran out!
  • Options
    Found it to be a bit like 5 a side football on ice
  • Options
    I'm pretty annoyed about this, am back in Whistler for the winter and one of my friends here landed a plum job with the Cannucks, was going to have quite a few tickets!
  • Options
    I'm missing hockey like hell, been watching a bit of the Marlies pre season (probably the OHL team kentaddick talks of) but thats not cutting it! Joffrey Lupul wrote a good article on the lockout recently which sums up how the whole thing is so frustrating.
  • Options
    cafckev said:

Seems to be a pattern forming in US sport over the last few years. NFL player lockouts, NFL refs, basketball player, now NHL all striking over money. Nothing like playing for the enjoyment, passion and pride.

Pretty sure the NBA had a lockout up until around Christmas last season too?
  • Options
    90 percent on wages in the championship...

Bloody hell ... No wonder so many clubs are going bust...
  • Options

Rob said:

Rob said:

fair enough. Maybe try it again if its been a few years? I'm very jealous that you live out there btw.
    Kent. Maybe I will.

It has its downside over here as well. Like not being able to pop down to The Valley for example. The weather is better though. :-)
  • Options
    lockout's over.

will know in the next few days when the first games are.

looks like it's gonna be a 48 game season which should make it even more exciting, more like a sprint than a marathon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great, I'm in New York in March and the NJ Devils are at home so will try and catch the game now
  • Options
    What's the best way of watching some NHL once it's back on? I don't have ESPN so can't watch anything on ESPN America
  • Options
    It's not on ESPN anymore, premier sports bought it. Try www.thefirstrow.eu
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Booger.

• Options
    Am going to try and catch a Boston Bruins game when I'm out there next month!
  • Options
    Thing is, the last lockout-shortened season was crap - teams that were shit but got off to fast starts made the playoffs, and outside the first round, the rest of the playoffs were f***ing dull that year.

Whatever - at this point I'm so desperate for hockey that I'd watch AHL scabs in Pens jerseys.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Thanks.

I use first row for football sometimes but the quality wasn't always the best, wondered if there was anyway I could watch on the TV like with MLB. Guessing not.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Am going to try and catch a Boston Bruins game when I'm out there next month!

Bruins are a good team to watch. A lot of exciting young talent, they've sucked for years, but stockpiled their draft picks well, had a good farm system and traded wisely. Their fans are (outside of Pittsburgh and Detroit) the most knowlegeable in the US too, and they deserve the success they've had. Unfortunately, they're big Pens rivals (though not as much as the Philadelphia Failures, whose fans are the biggest cocks in US sport - think Millwall)
  • Options
    Yep some nasty youtube footage of flyers fans attacking rangers fans, all very Millwall. A mate's nephew (James Neal) plays for Pens so will be following them again this year. Looking at 48 game season starting 19 Jan.
  • Options
    Spending so much time in Southern California, I have seen the Ducks a couple of times and may pop along to a game if I have time next time I am over in March. Problem is I keep thinking of the blooming Disney film that they were originally named after and cant take them seriously!