Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Working a night shift...

2»

Comments

• I worked shifts for about 8 years. Hated every minute of it.
    Summer time, for me, was absolute hell trying to sleep after a night shift.
    Suits some people but I cant see how, dont see your family or friends at normal times.

Take my kids too and from school most days. Don't see too many other Dads there. Even have time to take them to the park afterwards.
    That aside,I find I can get things done in the week or go to a shop without it being overrun with weekenders.

• just been out at carnage (northern crazy night out). i'll be impressed if any of you know what it is

Sheffield?

Working nights does catch up with you as I find you sleep less and less as its the "day time"
  • I used to swap for a night shift at work booking on at midnight and normally getting away between 6-8 monday to Friday so you were finished Friday morning and fantastic in the winter going home to bed on the train looking at the poor souls on the train in to London!!!
  • I worked shifts for about 8 years. Hated every minute of it.
    Summer time, for me, was absolute hell trying to sleep after a night shift.
    Suits some people but I cant see how, dont see your family or friends at normal times.

Take my kids too and from school most days. Don't see too many other Dads there. Even have time to take them to the park afterwards.
    That aside,I find I can get things done in the week or go to a shop without it being overrun with weekenders.

I used take my boy to and from school as well but I was like a zombie by the end of the week so the trips to the park had to wait until I was on earlies.
    The only thing I like about shift work was the money. I reckon it aged me ten extra years.
  • Carnage isn't northern only! They have them all over the place at different times. Bristol, Norwich, Buxton! Never been though
  • It's that time again
  • Doing a 2am start this week feck me it's nippy
  • Only got 40 minutes to go and then it's home to bed had a heavy weekend feeling it tonight just want to sleep
  • Just done a full shift in the office, now 2 hrs into a 3 hour drive to my hotel so I can be on site at 7 am tomorrow morning. Just stopped to grab some dinner. Long day!
  • Just getting into motor, 20 minutes I will b home and in bed, can't wait.
  • Sponsored links:

• Jammy feckas

2 till 2 this week getting up at half past midnight to go to work is just wrong
  • I'm just about to pull the trigger on my jetwash and wake up Greenwich...but i'll be home by ten.
  • Night one of four completed for this week.
    Time for bed
  • Done 5 years mon to thur, 10pm to 8am. Was a touch, recovered Friday for weekend with kids the nowt til Monday night. Now since beginning of Olympics we have been aske to do Fridays as well, feel like shit but could have been losing hours rather than doing more.
    Oh and it work from home :)
  • Did some shift work many years ago for about 6-8 weeks and apart from the extra money I really hated it. I couldn't sleep properly and had virtually zero social life boy was I glad when it finished
  • Done 5 years mon to thur, 10pm to 8am. Was a touch, recovered Friday for weekend with kids the nowt til Monday night. Now since beginning of Olympics we have been aske to do Fridays as well, feel like shit but could have been losing hours rather than doing more.
    Oh and it work from home :)

What you complaining about!!
  • I like my Saturdays :)
  • I work offshore, and I used to do a 3 week hitch in Oz. I'd get up at 2am on a monday morning (crew change day), after a fitfull sleep due to the worry of missing the 5.30 am flight. A 2 hour flight north, hang around the heliport of an hour or so, and depending on the location of the well we are drilling, up to an hours chopper ride. So on the rig about 10- 11 am.

Start work at midday, work through till 8pm, ( been up for around 18 plus hours on virtually no sleep from the previous night) have 8 hours off, start again at 4am and work through till midday. Then 12 hours off.
    It takes us on night shift midnight to midday for the first week, and so we start the hitch knackered. The following Monday, when the crew changes out again, We finish at middday, start again at 8pm, finish at 4am and then start again at Midday to take us onto day shift.

I can tell you now that it knocks the absolute stuffing out of you, f*cks the body clock up something fierce. They preach about safety, yet I'm allowed to Operate large, expensive equipment that has potential to kill and maim if not operated properly.

But god forbid If your not wearing gloves or your safety glasses!!
  • I'm 2200-0700 tonight. Thankfully the last one them I'm off for 4 days!