Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

squeeze bbc4 friday from 9.

following on from the ELO night, next friday bbc4 has a programme at 9, all about difford/tilbrook. then a programme on paul carrack. then a squeeze concert from 1982.

Comments

• Cheers Paul...have the record button on for all three shows. Seen some great live Squeeze shows over the years.

Didn't realise til after I'd bought our Madness tickets for the O2 in December, that Squeeze are playing the same night in Indigo! Is it too much to hope that the lads might do support slots at each others sets??? ;-)
  • Looking forward to the programme. Have got a ticket for the gig at Indigo, should be quality as always.
  • Should be good, BBC4 consistently show some great music programmes!
  • Cushty
  • red_murph said:

Looking forward to the programme. Have got a ticket for the gig at Indigo, should be quality as always.

any idea of the line-up for this (ie, Difford, Tilbrook, Holland etc etc) ?? I'd love to go but don't want to turn up & find its more like a Tilbrook & friends 3-piece rather than a proper Squeez gig

• The current Squeeze Line up is Difford, Tillbrook, Bentley (their bass player from early 80s) plus Stephen Large and Simon hanson who've played with Glenn on his solo stuff
  • Glenn Tilbrooke went to my school and remember him well. I love Squeeze a great band Tilbrooke/Difford are one of the great song writing teams of all time. I see there is an hour devoted to Paul Carrick as well that man has one of the best voices ever.
  • Tilbrook is also a big Addicks fan, as is his son. Makes it even better :)
  • Top band, will look forward to that programme.
  • edited October 2012
    oh ive deleted it;
  • Sponsored links:

• on again early hours B
  • ha I deleted my duet with Mr Tillbrook because there was complete apathy on here. I thought I sounded good.
  • A decent programme, could have done with another 30 minutes!
  • Great show, beat watching England!
  • Curb_It said:

ha I deleted my duet with Mr Tillbrook because there was complete apathy on here. I thought I sounded good.

A unique voice.

How do you know, unless you watched both? LOL
  • Curb_It said:

ha I deleted my duet with Mr Tillbrook because there was complete apathy on here. I thought I sounded good.

A unique voice.

I thought I reached the low notes quite well... "sing up". Its my finest hour.
  • Really enjoyed this. Great stuff.
  • What got me about the programme was the relationship between the two guys, and I was very moved when they talked about that song for (Maxine?).
    Saw them for free on Blackheath 20 odd years ago, they were excellent.
  • Agree Seth - that bit was very moving. It was fascinating learning about the dynamic between those two and how their friendship endured despite the capricious mistress that is fame.
  • Sponsored links:

How do you know, unless you watched both? LOL
    I watched the first half
  • Just watched it. Great programme. Agree with the above about the song for Maxine (Some Fantastic Place), genuine tears in Glenn's eyes and has made me listen to the song in a completely different light.
  • watch it late last night & loved it !! always liked their stuff but thought they had disbanded in the late eighties & didn't know they were still working together. Obviously they are close (not sure about "mates") but Difford did say that the 50p advert that Glen Tilbrook answered was the best 50p ever spent & glad that only Tilbrook replied

Also great the way Difford writes what he wants & Tilbrook sets it all to music & both don't mind how it all works out - a bit like Elton John & Bernie Taupin

only thing is - can't Glen Tilbrook get rid of that silly beard !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited October 2012
    To those who are interested, this is an excellent read and a great insight into the ups and downs of the band. Song by Song Squeeze.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/22Squeeze-22-Song-By/dp/1860746047

Also, Mr Difford's moving solo shows are played to a wonderful powerpoint/movie backdrop of his personal history. (including a photo of said advert!)
  • Watched the archive concert last night - what fantastic writers and performers they were/are. I'm keeping it to watch again.
  • watch it late last night & loved it !! always liked their stuff but thought they had disbanded in the late eighties & didn't know they were still working together. Obviously they are close (not sure about "mates") but Difford did say that the 50p advert that Glen Tilbrook answered was the best 50p ever spent & glad that only Tilbrook replied

Also great the way Difford writes what he wants & Tilbrook sets it all to music & both don't mind how it all works out - a bit like Elton John & Bernie Taupin

only thing is - can't Glen Tilbrook get rid of that silly beard !!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will be pleased to know GT was clean shaven on telly on Friday morning...

• only thing is - can't Glen Tilbrook get rid of that silly beard !!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will be pleased to know GT was clean shaven on telly on Friday morning...

Do you think someone had told him it made him look like Mr Tumnus?
  • edited October 2012
    I have to declare a bias as Chris Difford (at parents house) lived next door but one to me for donkeys years, until he got his own place.

I thought the documentary was excellent, as it was mainly the band members talking as opposed to many other docs where you have a bunch of nobodies waffling on.

They played clips of all their songs as well. Watched it twice now (2nd time on catch up via Virgin).
  • Apologies for bumping this, but thought someone may have missed this & might want to watch on i player.
    It really was very good.
  • I enjoyed it a lot, apart from Glenn's whiskers - very pleased to hear they have gone, as he looked like a 70 year old Catweasel, which I found most distressing!

Programme highly recommended - really good stuff told by those directly involved, and lots of great music too.