Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

squeeze bbc4 friday from 9.

Comments

• Watched it last night and thought it was fantastic, very moving when they talked about Some Fantastic Place and the significance of the song.

If you haven't seen it well worth catching up on I-Player
  • @Curb_it's duet is on i-player?
  • My Dad went to school with Difford and Jools Holland. West Greenwich I think it was, which has now shut down.

Did anyone also see the documentary on Paul Carrack? Was in Squeeze for a little bit but really made his name in Mike & The Mechanics.
  • Just watched it and loved every minute . Only wish I had got into them at the time and not 20 years later .
  • http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/Squeeze-tickets/artist/736180

Just booked up to see them at Shepherd's Bush. There's quite a few gigs available. (PS I'm not on commission :-)
  • cafctom said:

My Dad went to school with Difford and Jools Holland. West Greenwich I think it was, which has now shut down.

Did anyone also see the documentary on Paul Carrack? Was in Squeeze for a little bit but really made his name in Mike & The Mechanics.

Yes, I never realised how successful his solo career was. Funnily, neither documentary mentioned that Paul Carrack had a second spell in Squeeze, for the Some Fantastic Place album, but then Squeeze had so many lineup changes I guess there wasn't time to mention them all! It would have been nice to have covered Gilson's departure, and recruitment by Jools, as it shows the musical longevity of the members of Squeeze from their early heyday.
  • Two hour set last night at the Pelton Arms in Greenwich. Pretty much covered all the favourites plus a smattering of new songs as well as some of Chris's solo material.
  • Gutted I didn't know about that. Sounds good.
  • Just caught up with the concert. Didn't realise it was filmed at The Regal in Hitchin. Good memories of that place, it was demolished in '85... Also reminded me what a fantastic song Labelled with Love is, brought a tear to me eye, as usual...
  • edited November 2012

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/Squeeze-tickets/artist/736180

Just booked up to see them at Shepherd's Bush. There's quite a few gigs available. (PS I'm not on commission :-)

I think there are still Squeeze tickets available, but I'll let anyone interested check.
  • Sponsored links:

• Two hour set last night at the Pelton Arms in Greenwich. Pretty much covered all the favourites plus a smattering of new songs as well as some of Chris's solo material.

Is he doing anymore at The Pelton?
  • They were there on Wednesday

Is he doing anymore at The Pelton?
    Was the full band not just Chris. Last time they played there was a warm up for the summer festivals and this was for the tour that starts today. I suppose look out for rumours before the next tour (whenever that might be)
  • Apparently I'm seeing Squeeze at Indigo on 14 December supported by Paul Heaton? It's a birthday treat I'm told but would probably be more of a treat if I knew who the F**K any of these people are or what they do.
  • Why has someone brought you a treat of a Squeeze concert if you have never heard of them?
  • I was at the Pelton on Wednesday. Very crowded, very hot and very good.
  • JWADDICK said:

Apparently I'm seeing Squeeze at Indigo on 14 December supported by Paul Heaton? It's a birthday treat I'm told but would probably be more of a treat if I knew who the F**K any of these people are or what they do.

Paul Heaton was a singer in The Beautiful South & The Housemartins.
  • JWADDICK said:

Apparently I'm seeing Squeeze at Indigo on 14 December supported by Paul Heaton? It's a birthday treat I'm told but would probably be more of a treat if I knew who the F**K any of these people are or what they do.

Squeeze are/were a popular beat combo who appeared regularly on your TV set in the late 70s and early 1980s. They are the best thing since sliced bread. Along with Charlton Athletic they are the dictionary defintion of proper South London. Once of their better known songs (Cool for Cats) was used in a TV advert for (not surprisingly) catfood. If you don't enjoy yourself on 14th December (i will also be there) you have no soul:)

• JWADDICK said:

It sounds like you are a young person, if you are a young person then you might be aware of a web site called "You Tube"? If you find this site and put the words Squeeze or Paul Heaton in, it will produce an array of options showcasing their music and various promotional videos and TV appearances.
  • JW you should have a fantastic time, Squeeze are one of my favourite bands and Paul Heaton from Beautiful South is brilliant live. Saw the Beautiful South more than a dozen times live and enjoyed every single one of their concerts as did my daughter who is 16 now and saw them on the last couple of times I did.
    They are both lyrical geniuses as far as I am concerned, as Algarve says get on You Tube and enjoy!
  • Sponsored links:

• JWADDICK said:

It sounds like you are a young person, if you are a young person then you might be aware of a web site called "You Tube"? If you find this site and put the words Squeeze or Paul Heaton in, it will produce an array of options showcasing their music and various promotional videos and TV appearances.

Bless you Algarve its been a very long time since I have been called a young person by anyone. I assure you that I am an old git albeit one with a hearing problem which means that I have never been interested in music or musicians. Your explanation that this is what they do is gratefully received however I think that knowing that I'll have to pass on said treat and unfortunately your you tube recommendations also as I fear I will not be able to appreciate their talents.
  • JWADDICK said:

JWADDICK said:

Bless you Algarve its been a very long time since I have been called a young person by anyone. I assure you that I am an old git albeit one with a hearing problem which means that I have never been interested in music or musicians. Your explanation that this is what they do is gratefully received however I think that knowing that I'll have to pass on said treat and unfortunately your you tube recommendations also as I fear I will not be able to appreciate their talents.
    So who thought that would be a good Xmas pressie then? How strange?
  • Now on Six Music - the Huey Morgan show (which in itself comes highly recommended) discussing influences etc.
  • great pic. I couldn't make The Pelton this week but a few mates went and said it was quality. Looking forward to O2 in December!

• I'm confident JW is no youngster. He just needs a little time to think it over :-)
  • edited December 2012

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/Squeeze-tickets/artist/736180

Going this Thursday, never been to The Shepherds Bush Empire. Any good ?

NB Seeing The Hives at The Roundhouse, Camden on Friday. Haven't been there for donkeys years.
  • Went to Glenn's solo gig in Glasgow last night - fantastic as usual, superb musicianship, nice small venue. Managed a quick Charlton chat afterwards - he's as depressed as the rest of us and 100% behind Powell. Here we are toasting the anniversary of the return to The Valley (I did try shouting out a request for VFR earlier, but not sure what the local audience would have made of it!):

• Saw Glenn, last month on his tour in Deal. Very good night. Didn't get to speak to him, was going to ask him about the squeeze concert on Blackheath against the poll tax.