Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Stones at the O2

13»

Comments

• Options

Bit of a difference between todays price and 4/6 at Lewisham Odeon around 1964, when you got Little Richard and Bo Diddley thrown in as well!

or for free ina pub in Dartford before they had cut their first record.

• Options
    Awesome! Everyone has a guaranteed stocking filler DVD this Xmas in hurricane crossfire! What an insight!
  • Options

Bit of a difference between todays price and 4/6 at Lewisham Odeon around 1964, when you got Little Richard and Bo Diddley thrown in as well!

Did The Clash ever play at the Odeon?
  • Options

Awesome! Everyone has a guaranteed stocking filler DVD this Xmas in hurricane crossfire! What an insight!

Agree. "It's only rock 'n' Roll" but I LOVED it!

• Options
    edited October 2012

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-clash/1980/lewisham-odeon-london-england-43d7c343 Looks like they did!
  • Options
    Anyone get tickets?
  • Options

Yup, I was there
  • Options
    Stones playing Hyde Park in July, not free this time though...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22012683
  • Options
    Got tickets for Hyde Park, pre-sale. £95 each. Probably too much but never seen them and always wanted to, probably last chance blah, blah, blah. Have a feeling that the support will be quite tasty too. Just hope they turn the sound up - after Blur/New Order/Specials last year I vowed never again.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Ironic that when they had little money the gig in Hyde park was free. Now they're multi multi millionaires they think charging £95 to see them is alright.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was at the Hyde Park concert in 1969 and I will remember it for the rest of my life as we were pretty close to the stage. Actually they weren't very good as I recall the sound was iffy and Keith definitely had some tuning issues but the event was just magical and cemented my love for the band. That said you could hear then that Mick Taylor was going to up their game for them and so it proved to be and although I am a great admirer of Ronnie Wood I still think with Mick Tayloe The Stones were in their pomp. Oh and by the way I won't be paying £95 this time I would prefer to see them in an indoor venue......just me getting old damn it!
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Ironic that when they had little money the gig in Hyde park was free. Now they're multi multi millionaires they think charging £95 to see them is alright.

I think they had plenty of money in 1969.....

• Options
    If anyone is going to see them in Hyde Park this week, they're in for a real treat. I went on Saturday and they were absolutely superb. Agree that £95 is a lot of notes, but as it was my first (and almost certainly, only) time I'm glad I did it. One sequence was Gimme Shelter-Jumpin' Jack Flash-Sympathy For The Devil-Brown Sugar, bang, bang, bang. Can't argue with that. Even the sound was good!

I was wrong about the support though - pretty crap apart from Gary Clark Jr, who was very decent. Looks better on paper next week.
  • Options
    Went on Saturday too. thought it was great - although seemed to be over so quickly (probably due to the amount of cider we drank throughout the day) My dad loved it. We recreated our pic from when we saw them at Twickenham in 2006 - which will never be beaten.

Didn't pay much attention to the support on the main stage, and don't even know where the other stages were. It was easy to get a drink once the bands were on, bit hectic just before the stones. toilets were civilised toilets like they have at The Open which made a nice change to not have Loo Fear!

think it could have been louder, but then maybe we didn't choose the best spot to stand, but it was easy to have a conversation whilst they were playing.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

buckshee said:

I think they had plenty of money in 1969.....

Yeah and back in the day the gigs were the "loss leaders" for mega record sales. These days there's not so much money in selling records, so I suspect that the reverse is true. (Particularly if you've only released 2 albums in the last 16 years!)
  • Options
    They were totally electric on Saturday particularly when Mick Taylor was on stage. Worth every penny. I've been a fan for 50 years (bloody hell) and there is something totally unique about them and their music and that I've never heard anyone create. It was also noticeable how many young people were there and certainly enjoying it more than most concerts I've seen.
  • Options
    One of my younger cousins walked in for nothing with a few mates during a change of security. Just mingled into the crowd.
  • Options
    You're braver than I, Suzi - decided to go easy on the beer on account of the heat and the fact we got there about 2.30 and I didn't want to be put on a drip by about 7.30! I saw a couple of people who didn't make it though - bit of a waste if they missed the show.

When I did venture out the drink queues weren't too bad, unlike those for the food. Went to Springsteen the week before in the Olympic Park and that was blissful in comparison - speediest bar I've come across at one of these situations (pity Tuborg was the 'best' lager on offer). From viewpoint to bar and back in less than 5 minutes and the sightlines were excellent with space to play my air guitar, and sound you can get away with when there are no residents to worry about.
  • Options
    Went on Sat and thought everyone from 2:30 when we got there was good apart from The Vaccines who were really dull. Gray Clark Jr was immense, reminded me a bit of Hendrix.

Stones put on a good show, as you would expect, although by that time I was pretty far gone
  • Options
    Looking forward to this. Going Saturday and happy with the support line-up too. A little matter of two nights at Kew Gardens first though and a nice short 2 day week! ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seeing them on Saturday too, but my girlfriend won two tickets so didn't have the £95 problem ;)
  • Options
    I got Elton John ticket for Hyde park Friday the 12th

Only £22!
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Only £22!

how?

• Options

Dave2l said:

Only £22!

how?

Discount from an insider with Barclays.

• Options
    Dave2l said:

Only £22!

Just been cancelled unfortunately Dave...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23238584