Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Boiler help please

2»

Comments

• Options
    Have e-mailed, twittered and phoned N-Power with no luck.
    Will give it to midday, then will attempt to "fix" it myself.
    If you live in or near Mayow Parlk and you hear a gas explosion think of me......
  • Options
    Be lucky MOG ;o)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Where is/should the pilot light be ?
    001.JPG 658.8K
    002.JPG 800.1K
    003.JPG 856.7K
  • Options
    MOG i would think (suggested above) that the Gas Board or who ever shut the gas off should check that the pilot light is on. They should PURGE the system.

My boiler there is a smal vision disc to check pilot light above where your showing .

Check obvious is the power on ?
    When you press the igniter do you press it once or keep pressing? i would press it a good few times.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Suggest re-try MOG. Possibly the instructions are not clear on how long to press the orange button for. Suggest leave it pressed for 5/6 seconds, or repeatedly as GH says.

With my old boiler i used to be able to see the pilot flame through the front. New one, can't see it anywhere so would take off the front cover if needed to. You might be able to at least see if there's an ignition spark at all.

Have used Progas in Sydenham (kind of opposite kwik fit, on the corner), and also there's a new boiler place opposite superdrug. I'd just pop in for friendly advice myself (assuming the above dont work), and make a casual enquiry about their call out fee at the same time. N-power owe you but could be a day or two doing anything about it.
  • Options
    ouuuh I also has a boiler problem! When the heating comes on there is a loud repetative banging noise about twice a second and all the radiators in the house shake in time to this banging - The pressure needle is at 1bar but this also jumps or spikes with each bang.. cool huh?

My solution was to turn the heating off and pretend nothings wrong!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Still freezing, not happy.
    Paul. ‏@MiserableOlGit
    ANNOUNCEMENT: @npowerhq lie. Waited for hot water & heating since Tuesday lunchtime. #BunchOfC**ts
  • Options
    And another boiler problem here. Yesterday, the pressure went right down and a warning light flashed. Opened the valve just enough to up the pressure to 1 to 1.5 and closed the valve, then the pressure bar went haywire right up to the top and water started dripping out. Turned the boiler off for about 20 mins, and the pressure returned to normal, but it's still dripping. The plumber came round and said he could make it good, but there's no telling how long it would last and suggested we should get a new boiler. Only thing is, I haven't got a spare grand knocking about.
  • Options
    Problem here too. Heating working fine but no hot water in bath or kitchen. It gets a little hot then cold or tepid. What's strange is that the hot water in the bathroom sink is fine. Boiler pressure ok.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Markive said:

ouuuh I also has a boiler problem! When the heating comes on there is a loud repetative banging noise about twice a second and all the radiators in the house shake in time to this banging - The pressure needle is at 1bar but this also jumps or spikes with each bang.. cool huh?

My solution was to turn the heating off and pretend nothings wrong!

Sounds like you've got air in the system - bleed the radiators. I must point out that I am not in any way qualified to give this advice, so anything you do is at your own risk.

If people want someone to look at their old boilers (!) I do know someone who is qualified - let me know if you want his details.
  • Options

I think you turn the heat knob round to full, hold it there, push the igniter then release the heat knob after 5/1o seconds.
    Been a while since I've lit one.

I had this problem where the ingniter didn't work. For some reason the cable between igniter and the pilot had broken. If it is broken simply go to your local gas hardware shop and buy another one and replace it yourself.

• Options
    I touch the fire and it freezes me.....
  • Options

Problem here too. Heating working fine but no hot water in bath or kitchen. It gets a little hot then cold or tepid. What's strange is that the hot water in the bathroom sink is fine. Boiler pressure ok.

All working fine this morning, weird. Boiler's not even that old.
  • Options

All working fine this morning, weird. Boiler's not even that old.
    Had the same problem just before xmas, turned out it was the PCB needed changing, got a local guy who works for British Gas to do it, very reasonable and very good, Dartford area etc if anyone is interested
  • Options
    Cheers E, I'll bear that in mind.
  • Options
    Suggestion boys....... as none of us appear very good at fixing heating system/boilers I signed up for the British Gas Homecare service. It costs about 20 squids a month but its well worth it. I've called them out about six times, always turn up within 12 hours, don't charge for any parts or labour, which we all know you normally need a bank loan for, and all the engineers seem to know what they are doing. Cant recommend it enough.
  • Options
    This is a bloody good thread, I know where to come if I have any boiler problems.
  • Options
    12th Man said:

Suggestion boys....... as none of us appear very good at fixing heating system/boilers I signed up for the British Gas Homecare service. It costs about 20 squids a month but its well worth it. I've called them out about six times, always turn up within 12 hours, don't charge for any parts or labour, which we all know you normally need a bank loan for, and all the engineers seem to know what they are doing. Cant recommend it enough.

Sounds good you can also look at you home/ building insurance. The wife pays an extra 35 pound a year on our home insurance for this type of thing, we have used it twice in the last 2 years so it's been very good value.
  • Options
    depends re BGas---- 4 years back our boiler was spewing hot water out the over flow in nano seconds we were under their servicing. Guy turned up said it was "kettling" (not the old bill type) without even taking it apart and then quoted me £3K for a new boiler , rads etc. Told him he should at least test it ---he says " id have to cut gas off if it was dangerous"---- twat.

after he left i checked the boiler thermostate, it was naffed so i went to a place near the Beahive in New Eltham and got the part---fitted it myself -----cost £26 job done.

British Gas--------depends on who walks through the door.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ... if they walk through the door. A few years ago I had that package and wasted nearly 4 days waiting for them to turn up, each time complaining to someone who could barely speak English. I vowed never to give British Gas another penny after that.
  • Options
    Morning All.
    Heating/Hot water gone again. Have tried re-lighting the pilot light, but not too sure where I should be looking for it.
    Was put on a "GasCard" meter last Tuesday, and have put £20 on it this morning, so know it isn't that. Again, cooker working okay, but no heat or water. Will carry on clicking.....
  • Options
    #N-Power can't get no-one round until Tuesday at the earliest. Gotta love these "caring" companies.....
  • Options

#N-Power can't get no-one round until Tuesday at the earliest. Gotta love these "caring" companies.....

Surely theres an ombudsman you can contact about this shoddy treatment?

• Options
    "shoddy treatment" like it DA9 good words there
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Right: Update. Fella just left after totally dismantling the fire/boiler. Said I need a new pilot & ignition. Lit it manuelly and put it back together again, warning me that the pilot may go at any time (6 mins/6 years). Also, must keep some money on the meter at all times, otherwise the pilot will go out again.
    It was easily explained and even I understood it.

Just wandering why its taken aweek and 4 visits by different N-Power engineers to put it right and explain it.

Thanks again for all the advice given here.

MoG.
  • Options

Right: Update. Fella just left after totally dismantling the fire/boiler. Said I need a new pilot & ignition. Lit it manuelly and put it back together again, warning me that the pilot may go at any time (6 mins/6 years). Also, must keep some money on the meter at all times, otherwise the pilot will go out again.
    It was easily explained and even I understood it.

Just wandering why its taken aweek and 4 visits by different N-Power engineers to put it right and explain it.

Thanks again for all the advice given here.

MoG.

I found that out when mine went before xmas, depends who you talk to and pot luck on that individuals knowledge, spoke to 4 different plumbers/heating engineers before the 4th one solved it, shocking really.