Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wolves 1-1 Charlton | Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Great away point. Well done to Chris Powell and the boys. Heard the match report on BBC London and they said we should've won. Oh well, 2 points lost by the sounds of it
  • Options

@Super_horns I don't think there is undue pressure on the players at home. I just think we're struggling to find the right blend of players and tactics in the final third. We've cracked it away, just need the home formula.

If I were Chris Powell I might be tempted to try to play the next two matches as away games - Boro and Cardiff might accommodate if they see Charlton as a likely away win. However, if he sets up 4-1-4-1 with the intention of sitting and countering I think there is a risk that the crowd would get impatient.
  • Options
    On the train home. We played 4-1-4-1 again, a system which is set up for counter attacking football.
    In the first half, we started well, then conceded a goal of premiership quality, after Wolves opened us up on the left and Sako arrived late into the box to finish. But as the half progressed, we contained Wolves quite comfortably without getting forward and causing them too many problems ourselves.

In the second half, CP obviously made the right adjustments at half-time and we got forward better, with Wilson on the right supported by Solly and Kerker on the left supported by Evina, producing some really good attacking play, often getting behind the wolves full backs. We got a break when Wolves opened us up on the one occasion and a shot from Sako hit Doyle on the line as it went in, which was obviously offside. But we contained them fairly comfortably for much of the half, and in the end could have taken all the points. Hulse hit the outside of the post with a header, but also headed wide with the goal at his mercy in the dying minutes.

All in all, a very good performance and a good point. We need to back it up with a home win.

On individual performances, Hamer's handling was immaculate. Cort & Morrison were as solid as usual, Solly & Wilson combined really well on the right. Evina had a shaky start against Pennant but settled down. Dervite swept up in front of the back four really well. Pritchard & Jackson worked hard in central midfield, Kerker showed his close control & dribbling ability on the left and Hulse led the line really well while often isolated.

• Options
    Thanks @Tutt-Tutt safe journey home
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

On the train home. We played 4-1-4-1 again, a system which is set up for counter attacking football.
    In the first half, we started well, then conceded a goal of premiership quality, after Wolves opened us up on the left and Sako arrived late into the box to finish. But as the half progressed, we contained Wolves quite comfortably without getting forward and causing them too many problems ourselves.

In the second half, CP obviously made the right adjustments at half-time and we got forward better, with Wilson on the right supported by Solly and Kerker on the left supported by Evina, producing some really good attacking play, often getting behind the wolves full backs. We got a break when Wolves opened us up on the one occasion and a shot from Sako hit Doyle on the line as it went in, which was obviously offside. But we contained them fairly comfortably for much of the half, and in the end could have taken all the points. Hulse hit the outside of the post with a header, but also headed wide with the goal at his mercy in the dying minutes.

All in all, a very good performance and a good point. We need to back it up with a home win.

On individual performances, Hamer's handling was immaculate. Cort & Morrison were as solid as usual, Solly & Wilson combined really well on the right. Evina had a shaky start against Pennant but settled down. Dervite swept up in front of the back four really well. Pritchard & Jackson worked hard in central midfield, Kerker showed his close control & dribbling ability on the left and Hulse led the line really well while often isolated.

That's an excellent report if I may say so. How do you think CP might adjust the system for home games when the opposition is more likely to play cautiously?
  • Options
    Two decent draws playing teams who with challenge up top come end of season,need wins now and Bristol city away we will expect to win
  • Options
    Looking ahead to Cardiff and Boro and although both are on good runs, both have lost more games away from home than us. If we finally turn up at home, there's no reason we can't take at least 4 points from the next 2 games.
  • Options
    Good report Tutt Tutt, and unlike many of us you were there. We are a work in progress, and despite the challenges we are making progress.
    It would be nice to think the support will be up for it next two home games.
  • Options
    Jesus christ, just seen our goal. You'd think hulse was trying not to score in the game due to having a bet on it, great cross by evina!
  • Options
    Two decent results, keep it up and things will start going our way, perhaps if we can keep a clean sheet
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    an excellent away point, but we need to get some back to back wins soon because I'm not liking that 20th spot in the table!
  • Options
    So Hulse is the new Wilson? LOL
    Where are the Wilson (1st/2nd division standard) boo boys now.
    Great result. COYR
  • Options
    Powell said Hulse played HIS role "terrifically well". That'll do for me, he maybe should've scored today but HIS role is not just putting the ball n the back of the net.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    It is a good point, we'd all have taken it beforehand. Get the next two out the way with a couple more points, and then we have Bristol City, Burnley, Huddersfield, Peterborough and Millwall consecutively, which on paper at least are a bit easier.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Powell said Hulse played HIS role "terrifically well". That'll do for me, he maybe should've scored today but HIS role is not just putting the ball n the back of the net.

Whose role is it then in that team he put out today?
  • Options
    Mike said:

WSS said:

Whose role is it then in that team he put out today?
    He said "his role is not just putting the ball in the net".

Get out from under that dark cloud mate.
  • Options
    Two tough away games this week, after conceding after 15
    Minutes I feared the floodgates would open.

Think the players did well and made us proud , plenty of block tackles / bodies in the way , we did not give up and cave in.

It was freeing cold there today, and we were so high up in the sky in the upper tier we would have been better off Watching it in a plane flying over the ground!

We were so high up my son got a nosebleed , when we got to our seat, all part of being a Charlton fan!

Proud of the players and fans today, who were in full voice
    In the second half.

We really need to get behind the players and our manager
    In the next two home games.
  • Options
    Just got back. We really did miss the opportunity to get three points today. Wolves were awful and the crowd were on their backs all the second half . We Absolutely dominated the play and it was so blindingly obvious that we needed BWP on the pitch but Powell brought Cook on , who was pretty much annonymous .
    Hulse worked hard but he's no replacement for Kermigant or Fuller.
    Jackson looked off the pace for most of the game so it was a good job that The rest of the team were on their game.
    Wilson was very good and I was also impressed with Evina . Hamer commanded his area very well also.
  • Options
    just got home from the match.
    Agree with TT, I. the second half we really closed them down with them having to resort to long balls which were just right for Cort, when they did get crosses in Hamer timed his catches to perfection. I could be a little critical of our poor passing at times but there looks like there is a great team ethic and if one guy gets it wrong another will put it right.
    Probably 1-1 is a fair result, should we play this formation at home?
  • Options

So Hulse is the new Wilson? LOL
    Where are the Wilson (1st/2nd division standard) boo boys now.
    Great result. COYR

My point about him is not that he is bad but people have been quick to judge him( like Wilson )

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Perhaps redecorating the Valley as a replica of Middlesbrough's gaff is in order for Saturday...
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    A good day out. popped into the great western from the station, lovely pub with great beers and ales on pump. From there went to the walkabout, and the pub was in voice pre game.

As for the game I think the boys done well. The first 10 minutes was more wolves. and when they scored a well worked goal early in the first half I thought we could get tonked. But we stood firm and played our way back into the game.

D.D was superb. An Everton mate came to the game with me and he was very impressed with him also. He just gives us that reassurance, and plays simple intelligent passes to our midfield. Pritchard was missing a little today, dont get me wrong, he worked hard, as did all the players, but there wasn't a great deal of movement in midfield from us first half. A couple of occasions our full backs were looking for an infield pass and no one presented.

Much better second half and we took it to them. We were crisper with the passes, and were more Intelligent off the ball with lovely work down both flanks. Our goal came from good work down the left from Evina and a good ball to Hulse who's first effort from 3yards hit the keeper, his second stab almost on the line came off the post and Wilson was on hand to tap in the rebound. From there like at Leeds we were on the front foot.

Cedric is quick. And with more game time I feel he will be a great addition to the team, not that he isn't already. But he will get better and better and we will see why he was at Arsenal. Evina looked comfortable, considering he was playing against Pennant, A Premiership quality winger, and he had him covered quite easily.

Solly and Wilson are so good together, and there understanding is immense. A couple of times Wolves tried to break down our right side, and my Everton mate was worried the first time, I assured him Solly had it covered and sure enough Solly mugged there winger easily. They tried a couple times more and Solly was all over it.

My mate and myself really thought we could nick it, we did have a couple of chances and the header at the death should of been buried by Hulse. I'm not going to knock him, he put in a good shift, had good control and played his part with us controlling the game second half.

Hamer was good. Commanded his box so well. Any balls floated in he came out strong and took cleanly. Our Defence is good at this level. Our goal Difference shows this.

It's only a point, and yes we could of won, but putting things in perspective, it was a good point earned.

We had great support from the thousand odd fans up there, wolves were very quiet. I was very proud to start a rendition of VFR late in the second half! ;-)

I had a good day out, we should remain proud of our boys with this performance.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Strong point away from home that we'd all have taken before the game. Zero need to be singling out players for criticism in those circumstances because it sounds like they all worked very hard a played their part in winning the point - Hulse was involved in the build up to the goal for example.

Good sides are finding us tough to beat and even when we've lost no-one has given been able to give us a shoeing. It sounds like through trial and error with team selection and formation we're starting to find a decent balance. Plenty of reasons for us to keep the faith. We just need a good home win to instil a bit of confidence.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Just got home.
    Not very good first half performance, but we played well after the break and fully deserved at least a point.
    Went up with a friend who is a Wolves season ticket holder and he was happy with the draw by the end, which says a lot about which team was better in the second half.
    Slightly surprised by some of the negative reaction on here - a fighting point at a difficult ground and our support seemed pleased at the end. Yes, we could have won it but in the context of injuries etc it won't be among our worst results of the season.
  • Options
    Nearly home.

Would you take a point before the game: Yes

Would you take a point at half time: Yes, blow up now ref

Would you take a point after 57 mins: Yes, blow your whistle you plum.

Would you take a point after 90 mins: No, after we scored we should have won. Hulse's chance at the end was harder to miss than score.

Once again the away form is solid but at home is the key and the next 2 games are big, otherwise the bottom 3 looms.
  • Options
    Very decent result and a good performance altogether.

For the chances Rob Hulse missed, I think it was just one of those days for him. He certainly contributed to our play throughout the rest of the game and worked tirelessly.

Was sat up in the heavens of the new stand. Molineaux seems enormous now since the last time I was there!
  • Options

At game not knocking Hulse but thought was rather lazy in running back or even linking play also missed good chance near end and when folk day unlucky to hit post then wilson turn in well then he missed two so being honest thought he had poor game

What on Earth does this mean?
  • Options
    Take a point a Molineux not an easy place to go to but we need to start taking our chances and get some wins under our belts should of nicked it at the end
  • Options
    just got back, the hulse chance at the end was agonising, but overall he wasnt terrible he looked isolated up front but that wasnt his fault thats just the reality of the formation!

wilson probably the best player, though pritchard also lively, and solly ever dependable.

would defo have taken a point at the start of the day but the miss at the end pains me somewhat!
  • Options
    Have just got in and have not read any of the previous views, so forgive me for any repetition in this post.

1st Half I thought we were played off the park by a bigger, stronger Wolves team. Their goal was an excellent cross from Pennant that Sako converted cooly. Kerkar's shot that hit the side netting was about the only highlight of ours over the course of the entire 45 minutes. However, after their goal they never really troubled us much more, and in all honesty I bet many Wolves fans were disapoointed that weren't winning by more.

2nd half was a completely different story. Every player, to a man, tracked the opposition and pushed Wolves higher up the pitch, playing with a higher tempo and really getting in their faces. Wilson and Solly linked up well, whilst Kerkar and Evina I felt were very ineffective. Cook's introduction brought a real lift to the left flank and we had good spells of attacking play down both sides.

Special mention goes to Morrison, Cort and Hamer who I felt dealt with everything that came their way today, great displays.

However my main criticism is that of Rob Hulse. I know his service was awful and that SCP's tactics were that of getting all 11 men behind the ball and hitting them on the counter attack, but let's be frank, the game completely passed him by. Other than his header that hit the post in the last minute, he was anonymous. Even Wilson's goal that came from Hulse's header was a bad one and luckily Wilson burried the shot amidst the goal mouth scramble.

You may disagree but I suppose that's the purpose of these forums.