Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wolves 1-1 Charlton | Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Here's my take on todays match, having got back an hour ago.

Yes, I would have taken a point before the start, but when your main striker has 5 chances (3 gilt edged) and he fails to score any of them then it leaves a bit of a bitter taste in the mouth.I suppose if Hulse was any good then he wouldn't be on loan with us but banging them in for QPR in the Premiership. But thats enough criticism about him for now...............

As for the fully paid up members of Team CAFC - I still think our build up play is painfully slow and just wish that CP could decide that with 10 mins to go that he could abandon the 1 up front ploy and bring on BWP to inject some pace into the team. The main difference between the 2 teams was that when Wolves broke they ran FORWARD with the ball & then passed it to a team mate who was also running FORWARD - whereas when we win the ball we stand still with it & pass it 5 yards to a team mate who is also standing still. Basic stuff, but it happens week after week.

Special mention today for the back 5..........very solid and up against some good players. Surprised no-one has mentioned the free kick given against Hamer for apparantly handball outside the area.............now I know the officials are against us !!

PS - just hope that once Kermy & Fuller are back we might be able to score more than a goal a game..............lets see where we are at xmas - but if we are still bottom 6 then I think we are doomed.

• Options
    Whatever SCP says in the dresing room at half time should be bottled - we could buy Messi with the profits !

First 20 mins or so, we were saying how decent Wolves looked ...good, passing to feet football & obviously a team with recent Prem experience. But we absorbed everything they threw at us and with only 1 goal down at the break, there was all to play for.

2nd half - different gravy. As others who were there have stated, we came out with a vengeance, closed them down quicker and certainly deserved our goal, thanks in the main to Ceddy & Super Lawrie .Really pleased for both of them , with Rob Hulse also having a hand in the equaliser. I thought he worked very hard today, albeit with no end result of a goal scoring nature but he didn't disappoint on the whole.

Thought all concerned put in good performances this afternoon & I'm mightily encouraged for the forthcoming 2 home games....as long as we score first, our defence will do the rest. Can't say how proud I am of the lads in gaining 2 points from these tough away matches this week. Not the 7 points I forecast for October, but SO close to 9....!

MIA - Saw a lad with what looked like a huge white bogey hanging out of his nostril ...guess that was your boy !
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Yes, I would have taken a point before the start, but when your main striker has 5 chances (3 gilt edged) and he fails to score any of them then it leaves a bit of a bitter taste in the mouth.I suppose if Hulse was any good then he wouldn't be on loan with us but banging them in for QPR in the Premiership. But thats enough criticism about him for now...............

As for the fully paid up members of Team CAFC - I still think our build up play is painfully slow and just wish that CP could decide that with 10 mins to go that he could abandon the 1 up front ploy and bring on BWP to inject some pace into the team. The main difference between the 2 teams was that when Wolves broke they ran FORWARD with the ball & then passed it to a team mate who was also running FORWARD - whereas when we win the ball we stand still with it & pass it 5 yards to a team mate who is also standing still. Basic stuff, but it happens week after week.

Special mention today for the back 5..........very solid and up against some good players. Surprised no-one has mentioned the free kick given against Hamer for apparantly handball outside the area.............now I know the officials are against us !!

PS - just hope that once Kermy & Fuller are back we might be able to score more than a goal a game..............lets see where we are at xmas - but if we are still bottom 6 then I think we are doomed.

Shame you spoilt an unusually sensible post by your last sentence .
  • Options

Whatever SCP says in the dresing room at half time should be bottled - we could buy Messi with the profits !

My mate did some choreography work with Messi last week for an advert and actually asked him if he would ever sign for Charlton. Apparently he just laughed....which is not a no ;-)
  • Options

Shame you spoilt an unusually sensible post by your last sentence .
    Ha ha - that's what I thought. Are the bottom six all being relegated this year or something?
  • Options
    Thought all concerned put in good performances this afternoon & I'm mightily encouraged for the forthcoming 2 home games....as long as we score first, our defence will do the rest.quote>

This.

I Think if we can get an early goal at home then we can really give someone a hiding.
  • Options
    Without doubt I thought hulse was our best player today, was always in their face causing problems and making good runs, I also think that we were lucky to gain a point as wolves should have gone in at half time at least 3 up
  • Options
    Was in Wolves end (comp ticket thanks to Mike Bailey) - didn't hear our boys until we scored. Big ol' stand they were in mind!
  • Options
    Exactly.
  • Options

Was in Wolves end (comp ticket thanks to Mike Bailey) - didn't hear our boys until we scored. Big ol' stand they were in mind!

2 young lads sitting behind us near the front of the Upper didn't stop singing , clapping, chanting all match. Bless 'em !

• Sponsored links:

• Options

didn't hear wolves all game!
  • Options
    Rob Hulse did well!!!!....Came to us short on games for QPR,has lead the line well and held the ball up....In the last two games has hit the post and bar....How long ago were people on here moaning about why had BWP not been rested?....His goals will come dont you worry!....
    How many moaning,have been to the games?
  • Options

Rob Hulse did well!!!!....Came to us short on games for QPR,has lead the line well and held the ball up....In the last two games has hit the post and bar....How long ago were people on here moaning about why had BWP not been rested?....His goals will come dont you worry!....
    How many moaning,have been to the games?

No idea, but now that Wilson is good, someone has to be crap, thats the way of it!

• Options
    "Was in Wolves end (comp ticket thanks to Mike Bailey) - didn't hear our boys until we scored. Big ol' stand they were in mind!"

It was a very peculiar set up for away fans divided into 2 completely separate groups, we were in the emptyish lower section whilst the majority were in the upper. Where we were we could hardly hear the main contingent and therefore found it very difficult to join in. There also was no seat separation between us and the little wolveites behind the goal which of course engendered trouble with some of our younger fans being moved by a very heavy police/steward group.
  • Options
    I only listened on player ( the so called commentators were really poor as well ) so I can't make any comment other than that we are essentially still a L1 side, with key players injured and we drew at Molineux. I find that very impressive so well done to the squad, CP et al.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    WSS Said:
    Powell said Hulse played HIS role "terrifically well". That'll do for me, he maybe should've scored today but HIS role is not just putting the ball n the back of the net.
    Mike said:

WSS said:

Powell said Hulse played HIS role "terrifically well". That'll do for me, he maybe should've scored today but HIS role is not just putting the ball n the back of the net.

Whose role is it then in that team he put out today?
    Typical negative reaction. BWP came in for your implied criticism after missing a couple of chances at Leeds on Tuesday one of which was a fantastic take mid air, control and shot now it's Hulse's turn! If it is a game where only two players on the team are allowed to score you are looking for, can I suggest you go support the local Netball team. Let's not forget this guy has been a part time bench warmer for QPR and needs game time; like London Buses when one goal comes I am sure several will follow. Another useful away point making two more than most on here were predicting this time last week. We may not be scoring goals at will but our defence is one of the best in the division and on that foundation I am confident we have enough to survive in the Championship COYR.
  • Options
    You could never mistake @Mike for a ray of sunshine -- his dedication to the miserablist cause is remarkable. ;-)
  • Options

You could never mistake @Mike for a ray of sunshine -- his dedication to the miserablist cause is remarkable. ;-)

Took the words out of my mouth .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another game of two halves. In the first half Wolves looked slicker and quicker quicker and we didn't really look up for it up front - though in fairness we defended well. Also, despite having a five man midfield there was a worryingly large gap in the middle where the ball kept landing, just right for the Wolves players to run onto.

The second half looked quite different and we really took the game to them. I think we were really lucky though with their attempt that was ruled off-side. Not that I'm doubting the decision; Doyle was clearly in an off side position when the ball struck him, but if he hadn't have been there Doumbia would have surely scored. It could have been altogether different from that point.

I think credit needs to be given to the right side pairing of Solly and Wilson, they looked really solid defensively and gave us a lot going forward. We really need to keep that set-up; Evina was good enough on the other side to justify his inclusion, and I think that he'll get better with a few more games under his belt. I also liked DDV doing the sweeper part to good effect. Man of the match for me though was Hamer, his decisiveness and perfect timing at snatching crosses out of the air was sensational.

A good point, well deserved even though we did ride our luck a little.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited October 2012
    Whats pleasing in the last x2 away games is the team performance. With Lawrie Wilson improving the right midfield position, the excellent Chris Solly at right back and Evina and left back, the team has much better balance. The midfield does not seem to be overrun as early in the season. It could have easily have been 6 points instead of 2 but it looks well for the future.

Keep playing well, creating chances, learn lessons and improve and the points will come. Despite rubbish referring, wrongly disallowed goals, and games where the opposition has one chance and scores, or luck is against. Things balance out and if the level of performance, hard work and organisation is maintained, we will move up the table.

Frustrating as missed chances are, we are creating them. Hulse will also score. Fuller, KMG, Haynes and Wiggins will also return to fitness.

Chris Powell seems to have sorted out the right side of midfield, defence is solid, the left side needs to be firmed up.
    Would be happy to keep a tight formation at the Valley for the home games.

Just enjoying the team playing better and Chris Powell finding solutions for a change in formation on the pitch.

• Options
    Just caught up with highlights on FLS. We were v lucky with their offside goal - at last some good fortune! Credit to Hulse for effort and getting in right positions, but poor attempt with the late header and must say that the strike against the post just before Wilson scored when he was virtually standing on the goal line is a miss of Leaburnesque quality! Just hope his luck changes soon too!! I was a big fan of big Carl btw so not having a go at Hulse.
  • Options
    Agree with vff re keeping a tight formation at home.

Will probably have to be a "grinding out of results" at The Valley , maybe nicking the points with just one goal /clean sheet. Not pretty but necessary at this time IMHO until such time as we have players fit again and have climbed to a decent place in the league.

Our strong unit on/off the pitch and their work ethic will see us through this. Believe !

• Options
    1st half we did nothing part from a Kerkar shot which just went wide, wolves were not great neither were we.

2nd half was much better we made enough chances to win the game, Especially hulse chance at the end, positives for me was Wilson and solly partnership down the right, evina looks like he hold down lb and the centre backs morro and cort seem solid.

My worries are the cm once again nothing comes from there, from breaking up play to creating it! Dervite did well to sweep up play in front of back 4 which helped the centre of pitch.

Yes hulse had a shocker, but he could have had a bad day which happens to players.
  • Options
    I'm interested to see how Stephens does with Dervite on the pitch. Dale loves space and so in a tough game he generally just drops deeper and deeper until he's ineffectual. With Dorian pushing him up we might see Dale arriving late in the box and doing the job he did at the start of the L1 season. Then again, that's also a job Jackson does so it could mean that we don't have that much energy in the midfield and the game may completely pass him by. Hopefully it'll be the part where it works
  • Options
    Lest we forget, grinding out results was what we did last season and it worked well back then. Yes the actual play was a bit more flowing and easy on the eyes but the basic style was based on a solid defence and nicking a goal or two. I can't remember many 5-goal thrillers or absolute beatings (giving or receiving) last season. I'm sure there were some but it was hardly Barcelona-esque.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Funny, Hulses header at the end was a carbon copy of a Lisbie special up at Sunderland when we lost 3-2 about 10 years ago. Remember one enraged Addick booting dustbins outside in frustration, watched by a bunch of bemused (and highly amused) mackems. Hope the Wolverhampton refuse disposal facilities survived intact.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:

Another great point away from home. Assume the ones slagging off Hulse saying BWP should have come on are the same ones who were slagging off BWP for his late misses against Leeds???

And week after week during his lean spell Last season.

• Options
    Like the black and white kit worn yesterday. Very smart.