Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Do you think Football Police are still too 'heavy handed' ?

Comments

• "That certainly helps early in the second-half with one potentially-explosive incident. After a Millwall fan headbutts one of his fellow Lions fans, the police have to move in and the tension in the ground rises noticeably."

Haha, weren't they winning as well? What's that story about a couple of years ago where at Bristol City they all steamed out a pub attacking a coach, only to realise it was their own? Was laughing about that yesterday.
  • Just listened to that on 5live
  • At away matches my experience is that the stewards are far too heavy handed and the few police that are in attendance usually have a more tolerant and common sense approach, however that is a generalisation as, for example, the Carlisle police did go way over the top last season.
  • Don't know how they get away with it, remember the outrage over 'kettling' students (some intent on smashing up London), yet every Saturday normal football fans are filmed, marched to the ground with no alternatives etc and nothing is said.
  • With crowds comes the need to be slightly more "heavy handed" I really don't get some people, do you want the police to be so soft that everyone walks all over them?
  • With crowds comes the need to be slightly more "heavy handed" I really don't get some people, do you want the police to be so soft that everyone walks all over them?

Like the riots :D
  • This thread is going to turn into another police slagging match, I doubt they will change there approach.
  • Who cares if you are being filmed - only people who dont want to be identified later?
  • So it's ok if I follow you to work tomorrow pointing a camera in your face just incase a crime is comitted?
  • Am sure I am captured on film loads of times on my journey to work.
  • Sponsored links:

• RedPanda said:

What's that story about a couple of years ago where at Bristol City they all steamed out a pub attacking a coach, only to realise it was their own? Was laughing about that yesterday.

Pre season at Palace some years ago sitting in a pub that was full of Addicks. In burst a group of morons shouting Charlton punched a couple of guys in the bar and then ran out. No doubt revelling in showing Palace what was what. So we have knuckledraggers like that as well.

• Also been on film loads of time. Awaiting my appearance on You've Been Framed!
    SE10 said:

So it's ok if I follow you to work tomorrow pointing a camera in your face just incase a crime is comitted?

Be my guest. I'm sure if you have nothing to hide or worry about, then why it let it concern you. There are plenty of CCTV cameras in London catching your high street movements, so someone filming you at football is irrevant.

No, a happy medium would be acceptable. What are your experiences then?

• SE10 said:

Don't know how they get away with it, remember the outrage over 'kettling' students (some intent on smashing up London), yet every Saturday normal football fans are filmed, marched to the ground with no alternatives etc and nothing is said.

But it's not as if that happens all the time. I only go to the occasional away match, but have never been treated like that in recent years, away fans coming to The Valley come on the same trains as home fans etc
  • The argument that you wouldn't object if you're not doing anything wrong is a pretty dangerous one. Where does it stop?
  • MrOneLung said:

Who cares if you are being filmed - only people who dont want to be identified later?

Very True.
  • It's often the stewards more than the police
  • Certain grounds, YES, other ground NO.

For example Wolves in the lower tier the other day was pathetic as there were around 20 OB telling off 15 fans for standing.
  • The only time I can remember the Police treating us Away fans as bunch of idiots would be Swansea Away 2009, re the train journey back. Unnecessary but rarely seen these days.
  • shirty5 said:

The only time I can remember the Police treating us Away fans as bunch of idiots would be Swansea Away 2009, re the train journey back. Unnecessary but rarely seen these days.

And that was only because a load of our lot "had it" upon arrival with some locals.

• Sponsored links:

• edited November 2012

SE10 said:

Don't know how they get away with it, remember the outrage over 'kettling' students (some intent on smashing up London), yet every Saturday normal football fans are filmed, marched to the ground with no alternatives etc and nothing is said.

But it's not as if that happens all the time. I only go to the occasional away match, but have never been treated like that in recent years, away fans coming to The Valley come on the same trains as home fans etc
    I'm sure most on here who have travelled in a group will have experienced what I said especially if they wear a bit of designer gear etc.
  • Leeds stewards
    West Yorkshire Police

Worst combo in the land
  • edited November 2012
    Having been going to football for close to 40 years now only on a handful of occassions have I felt that the police were a bit heavy handed as we are calling it.

I would be very interested to see how those who criticise the police in these sort of pieces would cope if the roles were reversed. Is it far from an easy job.
  • SE10 said:

So it's ok if I follow you to work tomorrow pointing a camera in your face just incase a crime is comitted?

Most of my journey is on CCTV. It would be a treat to have a live camera crew to catch my good side.

I'll get my mum to sew a stone island badge on my jacket and I can wear my scarf bandito style, it'll be ace.

In truth I used to see a lot of fairly insane policing in the 80s, but that was in Glasgow and to be fair it was probably the only way to keep a lid on it. Since I can only really recall one incident (in the South Stand) where a cop started panelling an Everton fan. It was well over the top, but the lad had been a pain in the arse for over an hour and will probably think twice next time.
  • SE10 said:

SE10 said:

I'm sure most on here who have travelled in a group will have experienced what I said especially if they wear a bit of designer gear etc.
    So, in actual fact you're ruling OUT most people on here then (at a guess!)
  • SE10 said:

SE10 said:

What would you consider 'designer gear '?
    I'm intrigued .
  • Redskin said:

SE10 said:

SE10 said:

I'm intrigued .
    Gola, Hi Tech, Fila etc.........
  • edited November 2012
    shirty5 said:

With crowds comes the need to be slightly more "heavy handed" I really don't get some people, do you want the police to be so soft that everyone walks all over them?

No, a happy medium would be acceptable. What are your experiences then?

You can't find a happy medium, when people are in large crowds they tend to "push the boundaries" more so than if they was on there own.

When you subsequently get one of the crowd doing something the rest tend to follow like sheep.

I've done a lot of training around that field within public order units & also with the riots etc last year. So that would be my "experiance" and trust me its f*cking scary! Hence why the police use slightly more direct tactics to keep a crowd/large group content.
  • Redskin said:

SE10 said:

SE10 said:

I'm intrigued .
    Gola, Hi Tech, Fila etc.........
    Oh, I see. It's the fashion Police that are involved here,trying to ensure that shoddily made tat masquerading as designer gear is nipped in the bud.

• Police at Leeds were also filming but also mingling with fans at half time having a nice chat.