Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Maybe im missing something as i can completly understand why Zaha took time to consider the chance with the Ivory Coast before deciding on England it is a decision that will change the rest of his career.
  • Options
    But has he only decided because he can still play for IC, even if he plays against Sweden. I don't have a problem with him choosing IC but we (England) shouldn't have to beg.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Sounds a bit like a soundbite from Hodgson. He appears to be saying what he thinks the fans want to hear, whilst capping a young player who appears to be undecided.
  • Options

But has he only decided because he can still play for IC, even if he plays against Sweden. I don't have a problem with him choosing IC but we (England) shouldn't have to beg.

Why not we are not better then the Ivory Coast, they have a good team and i can see a lot of appeal with playing for them over England, whatever his choice when it is a competative match it shows more character in my opinion that he took time to consider the option.
  • Options
    Very tough call this for Zaha, he might be better off with Ivory Coast as he is arguably better postioned to get a starting slot there as the main striker and will play in WCF's etc.

For England he might only be a fringe player, like Darren Bent or Peter Crouch, and only ever be on the edges of the team rather than a sure-starter like Rooney.
  • Options
    Unless Zaha commits NOW to playing for England, Hodgson should send him packing.
  • Options

Unless Zaha commits NOW to playing for England, Hodgson should send him packing.

Yep

• Options
    He doesn't have to commit to anything. At the end of the day, Zaha has the talents that Hodgson wants. In these sorts of situations, players dictate, as it is their choice.

We haven't got enough amazing young talent at the moment to send someone packing just because they're undecided on where they're going to play their international football.

In fairness, I can imagine it is a very difficult choice for Zaha. Very good arguments for him to play for either country.
  • Options
    I personally don’t think he should be eligible to play for England.
  • Options
    Why Dave?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For me, you should be prepared to crawl over broken glass all the way to Wembley to play for England, if you have to choose, you dont deserve the shirt in the first place.
  • Options
    Personally I think it should come down to country of birth and/or nationality of parents.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

For me, you should be prepared to crawl over broken glass all the way to Wembley to play for England, if you have to choose, you dont deserve the shirt in the first place.

This.
  • Options

Personally I think it should come down to country of birth and/or nationality of parents.

That would make Cliff Richard Indian then :-)

• Options

What about where parents are different nationalities, and the child is born in another country altogether?

• Options
    that would mean they could choose between the three (country of their birth, country of mums birth or county of dads birth) i dont think it should be extended to grandparents either.
  • Options

that would mean they could choose between the three (country of their birth, country of mums birth or county of dads birth) i dont think it should be extended to grandparents either.

Except Jack Charltons Ireland squads, aynone who had flown over Dublin, had a dick shaped like a Shalalie or drank a pint of Guinness seemed to qualify.

• Options

Fair comment Dave. I don't agree, but it's all about opinions... :-)
  • Options
    Back in the day, I think players would have prepared to crawl over broken glass to play for England.

Nowadays, they will get a call up and more often than not just get a load of abuse from the 'support'. The value of an England cap is nowhere near as high as it used to be, hence why players aren't fussed about playing in friendlies.
  • Options
    abuse from the 'support'.

oh you mean like the 85,000 fans that turned up to friendlies against Italy and Belgium?

the supporters that spend thousands of pounds following them around Europe to places like Moldova?

The players should be 'fussed' about playing friendlies. As international footballers they should pull their fingers out their arse and show a bit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9 said:

Except Jack Charltons Ireland squads, aynone who had flown over Dublin, had a dick shaped like a Shalalie or drank a pint of Guinness seemed to qualify.

We'd best not start talking about the England cricket team then ;-)
  • Options

I personally don’t think he should be eligible to play for England.

I agree. In fairness he is from the ivory coast so that is who he should represent. End of.
  • Options

abuse from the 'support'.

oh you mean like the 85,000 fans that turned up to friendlies against Italy and Belgium?

the supporters that spend thousands of pounds following them around Europe to places like Moldova?

The players should be 'fussed' about playing friendlies. As international footballers they should pull their fingers out their arse and show a bit.

The majority of England supporters (not just talking about those who go to games) have many more negative things to say about England than positive.

90% of people who watch England games want them to win so badly, yet are the first to jump to criticize them. I remember last year when we beat Spain in a friendly 1-0 at Wembley. Alright, we didn't play the best Football but I recall people jumping on them for being 'lucky' and 'lacking dynamism.

I challenge you to name a Football team past or present which has such a negative fan base that has ever won a major international tournament.
  • Options
    National team support is completely different to club support.
    The players should only really take notice of the supporters there, and England's (brass band apart) are probably the best in the world.

Considering the talent that has come through but not performed I think the general public had a right to be negative some of the time....but it's not as if the players trawl through the Internet to find opinions of those at home watchin on TV.

And anyway, it shouldn't be about others opinions, whether media, fan, players or club managers...it should be about personal pride of playing for your country. Nothing should ever get in the way of that.

On your last sentence, I really can't comment on how other nations few their own sides...but I'm pretty sure our fans are not as negative as the French!!!
  • Options

You got a grandson born over there that you want to play for england???

;-)
  • Options
    Palace fans must love reading our board of late , must be wetting themselves laughing at the arse kissing some of us are giving this kid ffs.
  • Options

I knew there had to be a reason why the last ten England managers overlooked him.

• Options
    TelMc32 said:

DA9 said:

We'd best not start talking about the England cricket team then ;-)

or the england rugby squad

• Options

that would mean they could choose between the three (country of their birth, country of mums birth or lcounty of dads birth) i dont think it should be extended to grandparents either.

You got a grandson born over there that you want to play for england???

;-)
    Too sensible to have kids, me. But I think that if a country has brought you up and developed you, they should have the chance to offer you the option of playing for them, should you wish to.
  • Options
    cafcdave123 said:

Not sure about that DA9 but he is definitely annoying!