Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brighton Sell Out for the Valley 8th December

Comments

• Options

Brighton have always taken good numbers, looks like they sold out at Wolves last week.

IF we got a result at Millwall I would expect this to be 22kish assuming a few random Brighton fans dotted about in their tight tops.

They didn't sell out at Wolves, check the highlights.

• Options
    Impressive that, selling out 3k for us before we do for Millwall! Majority of them fans probably live or commute to London though.

As for the game, we owe them one at home big time.
  • Options

Brighton have always taken good numbers, looks like they sold out at Wolves last week.

IF we got a result at Millwall I would expect this to be 22kish assuming a few random Brighton fans dotted about in their tight tops.

• Options
    Living down that part of the country, I know a lot of them who will be in the JS stand that day. Massive catchment area they have down there and should be getting good crowds because of the poor time they've had in the last 15 season. Brighton are seen to be everyone second team behind the sky 4 but they are starting to become more loyal. Went to Brighton v Reading last year and was surprised by the replica merchandise of other teams you see down there but probably same most places.
    We personally owe two teams, we owe Millwall a spanking and Brighton. Could be a great two weeks
  • Options
    Can see us snapping up all possible tickets for the game at the AMEX too.

On the pitch, we owe them one big time.
  • Options
    edited November 2012

Good call from that bloke who decided to charge £30 for this game then. Who was it again . . . .?

Was it a good call?

Surely if the idea is to get as much money as possible from fans, then given the fact Brighton have sold their tickets already, it could be argued that a higher figure could have been charged without too much drop off in likely attendance, thus generating the club more money.

Alternatively if you believe that football should be fairly priced, then it could be argued that this amount is too much. Many of our supporters would argue that £30 is too much, note the threads on this forum stating figures of £26, £27 pounds at away fixtures are excessive, nevermind when the figure reaches £30 or more.

Of course, in balance, it could be argued that the club have found an ideal figure which maximises attendance and revenue whilst remaining fairly priced.

As we have spent a significant amount of our history outside the top flight, the club needs to (and probably does) have an open mind as to how we can increase numbers of away fans (and therefore income) when the home stands are not full. I appreciate that this has been looked at, but there is nothing to be lost by reviewing this periodically, as the information on which decisions have previously been made may alter.
  • Options
    I go back to the old Goldstone Ground when I lived near there. I can remember them taking a shed load of Coaches to Highbury in the early 60's for an FA Cup replay against Rotherham. Great catchment area with little competition.
  • Options
    the west upper (south end) is pretty much empty, plus you could incentivise people to move with some vouchers if it came to it, wouldn't you think?
  • Options
    Granpa said:

I go back to the old Goldstone Ground when I lived near there. I can remember them taking a shed load of Coaches to Highbury in the early 60's for an FA Cup replay against Rotherham. Great catchment area with little competition.

They had a replay against Rotherham at Highbury?

• Options

Love it, my hair is slightly longer now though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I asked a brighton mate he same question.
    He said that people stopped going to home games when they moved to gillingham. So they started to go to all the away games instead and its carried on

so basically the opposite of us once we returned to the valley
  • Options

I asked a brighton mate he same question.
    He said that people stopped going to home games when they moved to gillingham. So they started to go to all the away games instead and its carried on

so basically the opposite of us once we returned to the valley
    Hahahaha
  • Options
    edited November 2012

Good call from that bloke who decided to charge £30 for this game then. Who was it again . . . .?

Was it a good call?

Surely if the idea is to get as much money as possible from fans, then given the fact Brighton have sold their tickets already, it could be argued that a higher figure could have been charged without too much drop off in likely attendance, thus generating the club more money.

Alternatively if you believe that football should be fairly priced, then it could be argued that this amount is too much. Many of our supporters would argue that £30 is too much, note the threads on this forum stating figures of £26, £27 pounds at away fixtures are excessive, nevermind when the figure reaches £30 or more.

Of course, in balance, it could be argued that the club have found an ideal figure which maximises attendance and revenue whilst remaining fairly priced.

As we have spent a significant amount of our history outside the top flight, the club needs to (and probably does) have an open mind as to how we can increase numbers of away fans (and therefore income) when the home stands are not full. I appreciate that this has been looked at, but there is nothing to be lost by reviewing this periodically, as the information on which decisions have previously been made may alter.
    I believe it was the right call for this match to maximise revenue, not just in terms of away support but also our premium home areas, who have to pay the same rate. I accept it is higher than many people think reasonable, but a lot of these people tend to be season-ticket holders so don't pay it. Plus there are plenty of home seats at £25/£22.

One thing to bear in mind is that our top price ticket is also our best selling ticket and this has consistently been true, so not everyone is a price sensitive as sometimes assumed. Clearly others struggle to pay £20. So there is a balance to be struck simply to maximise revenue, as well as any consideration of fairness. We need to make football affordable to those with more limited resources (e.g Football for a Fiver), while taking the commercial opportunities that are available to increase the viability of the club.

In any event, the price-hike brigade are in charge now so I would expect Millwall-level match prices next season. They do so well attracting people down there, after all.

• Options

I would expect Millwall-level match prices next season. They do so well attracting people down there, after all.

Interesting.
  • Options

I would expect Millwall-level match prices next season. They do so well attracting people down there, after all.

Interesting.
    Concerning.
  • Options

Interesting.
    Concerning.
    No need to worry, the Target 40k group won't suggest that.

When is the next T40k meeting? Oh...........

• Options

Interesting.
    Concerning.

maybe they will put T40K on back burner until we are in our new ground in Kent, Greenwich Peninsula, Milton keynes our ground is further developed....
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    MrOneLung said:

Interesting.
    Concerning.

maybe they will put T40K on back burner until we are in our new ground in Kent, Greenwich Peninsula, Milton keynes our ground is further developed....
    Not digging you out Onelung but T40k is, or should I say was, about maintaining and sustaining support + income in bad times and trying to fill the ground capacity we have not just waiting for ground expansion.

And in the meantime where will the initiatives like the Jackson Five, Football for a fiver etc come from and where will the supporter and staff input on match ticket and season ticket pricing come from?

Still, we're only fans, it's their Club not ours because they "own" it. Best to leave the business men to make the decisions and just accept whatever they decide is best for us.

: - )

• Options
    Henry - I definitely wasnt having a pop about T40K and know that you,Airman, et al probably been working on this since T10K was hit. Was meant as a pop about our owners and their 'strategy'.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Henry - I definitely wasnt having a pop about T40K and know that you,Airman, et al probably been working on this since T10K was hit. Was meant as a pop about our owners and their 'strategy'.

Fair enough, my apologies.

Thanks for the compliment also but not sure why you drag Airman Brown into it, don't remember him having any input whatsoever.

: - )

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    i personally think that our support will be very sensitive to price change
    and at a time when, imo, football attendances are on a downtrend the pricing structure and incentives are going to be key to us holding on to our decent home numbers
    the fact our home numbers have not increased too much this season despite being a league higher is a sign of things to come
    if we are to tread water in the championship (which i will be more than pleased to do for a few years) then unless we are spot on with pricing i can see our home numbers drifting back to 12k and below

one upside to this will be our home/away fans ratio ;-)
  • Options

i personally think that our support will be very sensitive to price change

Well I certainly will be. I might have to move over to the Covered End with the residuum.
  • Options
    Brighton certainly didn't sell out for their saturday match at Turf Moor on 1st September - taking 477 fans there.

Still it eclipses the 247 Millwall took for their saturday visit in September.
  • Options
    What did we have on saturday?
  • Options
    Brighton only took 712 to their short trip to Huddersfield so prolly the same as what we took to the much further trip of burnley
  • Options
    I'd guess around the 500 mark.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Their other fans have to do Community Service on Saturdays.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    "Airman Brown"

Only if there has been a change of personnel at the police . . . seriously, Brighton are no problem,

I think you will find that they are and have been very active of late especially

The OB and club would be fools to Underestimate the probability of a bang up in and around the ground
  • Options

"Airman Brown"

Only if there has been a change of personnel at the police . . . seriously, Brighton are no problem,

I think you will find that they are and have been very active of late especially

The OB and club would be fools to Underestimate the probability of a bang up in and around the ground

Maybe Airman could bring this to the CEO's attention....

Ooops ! Forgot, Airman is no longer in situ!

• Options
    Addickted said:

Brighton certainly didn't sell out for their saturday match at Turf Moor on 1st September - taking 477 fans there.

They took a lot more than there, they sold out the top tier completely and had only single seats left down the bottom