Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beckham to leave MLS .

Now that he confirmed he's leaving the MLS where to next for mr Beckham ?

Comments

• Options
    SE London. The Valley to be more specific

Restart his football academy

He said he wants one more challenge and with our new found russian godzillions we can afford him.
  • Options
    IF he came to SE7, how many of you/us would buy a "Beckham" shirt ?
  • Options

IF he came to SE7, how many of you/us would buy a "Beckham" shirt ?

yep I would without hesitation.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Yeah I would buy a shirt well for my boy anyway .
  • Options
    I might just buy a Charlton Beckham shirt anyway
  • Options
    I most definitely would.

Big fan of Beckham. In fairness he stuck around in the MLS a lot longer than I was expecting him to.

Would be great to see him back in England again. Still think Stuart Pearce made a big mistake leaving him out of the Team GB side.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I most definitely would.

Big fan of Beckham. In fairness he stuck around in the MLS a lot longer than I was expecting him to.

Would be great to see him back in England again. Still think Stuart Pearce made a big mistake leaving him out of the Team GB side.

Pearce should have had him in the team Allday long , he would have gave the team the leadership it was missing !
  • Options
    The problem with Beckham is the media circus that surrounds him. If he went to a side at the end of his career he'd want to be playing all the time and that isn't easy, even at Championship level for someone of his age. I think that someone needs to gently take him to one side and tell him it's time to hang up his boots. He reminds me a bit of someone at the end of a party who no matter how many hints you drop to them, they still won't leave.
  • Options
    Is he leaving MLS or leaving LA Galaxy.

Would he sign for another MLS team? New York would suit Posh and her "fashion" career.

Failing that, Paris St Germain.
  • Options
    New York
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can still see him in a Yids shirt meself.
  • Options

The problem with Beckham is the media circus that surrounds him. If he went to a side at the end of his career he'd want to be playing all the time and that isn't easy, even at Championship level for someone of his age. I think that someone needs to gently take him to one side and tell him it's time to hang up his boots. He reminds me a bit of someone at the end of a party who no matter how many hints you drop to them, they still won't leave.

Why should he retire? He has been in very decent form for the Galaxy in the past two seasons. He won the MLS Cup with them last year and is in the final for it again this week. No need to retire, as there are clubs and leagues out there that can still benefit from having him around.

Not really sure where the 'hints' are? Why should he listen to the media?
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Why should he retire? He has been in very decent form for the Galaxy in the past two seasons. He won the MLS Cup with them last year and is in the final for it again this week. No need to retire, as there are clubs and leagues out there that can still benefit from having him around.

He's been in decent form in what is generally acknowledged as an abysmal league. Granted if he wants to continue playing in the USA or go to Australia then fair enough. But media attention is his oxygen. The only thing that'll make him pack up eventually is because the media will lose interest and stop writing about him.
  • Options
    In the seasons that Beckham has been there, the MLS has grown and grown, better players, bigger attendances, more teams, it has been a major success story. OK, the league isn't as strong as most of the European leagues, but you have to remember it's in it's fledgling years. The more it grows, the better the players will be, and the better the US national team will get.

I think he'll go to Australia, Del Piero has shown you can be 85 and still score goals for fun ou there
  • Options

cafctom said:

He's been in decent form in what is generally acknowledged as an abysmal league. Granted if he wants to continue playing in the USA or go to Australia then fair enough. But media attention is his oxygen. The only thing that'll make him pack up eventually is because the media will lose interest and stop writing about him.
    I'm a big fan of the MLS, and it is by no means what I would deem to be an abysmal league. The average quality of the league is something that I would fit into lower Premiership/upper Championship level.

Thierry Henry, Landon Donovan, Robbie Keane, Tim Cahill - all quality players that would be hands down the best in the Championship if they were to come over here.

A lot of people dismiss the MLS without actually watching it. You'll be surprised at how popular it is out there. Obviously it is nothing on the other major American sports, but the attendances are very high.

Seattle Sounders only formed four years ago and have one of the best atmospheres I've ever seen in World Football - with an average of over 30,000 per match.
  • Options
    Lot of rumours he's off to New York.
  • Options
    I'm sure Lloyd Sam will be happy about that!
  • Options

Would he sign for another MLS team? New York would suit Posh and her "fashion" career.

( SKY) "I don't see this as the end of my relationship with the league as my ambition is to be part of the ownership structure in the future."
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    BIG_ROB said:

I can still see him in a Yids shirt meself.

Sadly I cant. If Harry was still in charge then maybe but not with AVB. All his teams play with pace, the one attribute Beckham doesnt have. Would love to see him in a midfield three with Sandro and Dembele but it will never happen now.

• Options
    Leyton Orient, the club he should have supported as a boy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Who knows where he'll end up.

I agree with Tom in that the MLS is a decent league. Not only do you have a wealth of overseas talent from Europe and S.America, but only a handful of College kids make the draft and NCAA level soccer is pretty good in comparison to English pro academys.
  • Options
    QPR with Arry
  • Options
    The House of Lords
  • Options

( SKY) "I don't see this as the end of my relationship with the league as my ambition is to be part of the ownership structure in the future."
    And Beckham's Business and Personal Advisor is Vice Chairman ay the New York Cosmos.
  • Options
    The MLS is decent but its nowhere near the Premiership, that's silly talk.

The MLS is very open and entertaining, I enjoy watching it, but its a clear step down from the top European and South American leagues.
  • Options
    No way that a team like PSG would want him. I suspect he'll have the old Groucho issue of not wanting to be a member of any club that would have him. Agree with Ormi the MLS is a decent standard, but not nearly Premiership standard. Many of the players are on a wage that wouldn't suit fourth division players here, although there are some that are on top whack. The kind of English club that would want a Beckham is probably not going to be the kind of standard he'd want. I just don't see him slogging at QPR or Wigan or being a bit part player and taking a squad place with bigger club, say Spurs or Arsenal. I think Beckham the player would have a crack, but Brand Beckham is worth more than that - he's one of the most recognized sports stars in America, which makes him very bankable still. So, you're looking at a faded glamorous outfit: maybe a Celtic or even Milan or Ajax? Or something in the new football world where his profile counts as much as his ability. Stay in the MLS or head to a developing outpost like Australia or China.

Cosmos has come up time and again, but don't see it happening. MLS franchises cost a LOT and they come with a guarantee that the MLS won't allow another franchise within a large radius: so unless someone were going to pay Redbulls a big slug of compensation Cosmos can't rise from the grave.
  • Options
    PSG would make the most sense. They wanted him last year and they clearly want to be considered one of the elite clubs in Europe so I think they'd enjoy the circus around him. Posh would love Paris as well...

Decent team too.
  • Options
    At 37 it's the lesser leagues for him now... Hence the offer from Melbourne Heart ... Spit...
  • Options
    I can't see him moving to Australia so I reckon it'll be PSG. Having said that would Adidas be happy with him playing for a Nike club?
  • Options

Cosmos has come up time and again, but don't see it happening. MLS franchises cost a LOT and they come with a guarantee that the MLS won't allow another franchise within a large radius: so unless someone were going to pay Redbulls a big slug of compensation Cosmos can't rise from the grave.

New York Cosmos are now represented in the NASL, which is an equivalent of the American 2nd division (though there isn't a promotion/relegation setup with the MLS).

I heard the Cosmos are being pencilled in to return to MLS in a couple of years time possibly?