Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Danny Green

124»

Comments

• Options

He'd be more threatening than Harriott of late in the final third , not that that's saying much

I think I have to agree with you; it's worth a try. Green's lack of defensive abilities hardly matter compared to Harriott's profligacy with possession. And Green has got a fierce and accurate shot on him - on a good day.

My thoughts also but surely CS in the pecking order first. Still surprised Callum lasted full 90 yesterday.
    CS? I'd drop Harriott and give Danny Green another (last?) chance. But I'd forbid him from taking corners!

I'm with you on this one. I'm scared to say it on here but... I don't think Harriott's very good...
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

He'd be more threatening than Harriott of late in the final third , not that that's saying much

I think I have to agree with you; it's worth a try. Green's lack of defensive abilities hardly matter compared to Harriott's profligacy with possession. And Green has got a fierce and accurate shot on him - on a good day.

My thoughts also but surely CS in the pecking order first. Still surprised Callum lasted full 90 yesterday.
    CS? I'd drop Harriott and give Danny Green another (last?) chance. But I'd forbid him from taking corners!

I'm with you on this one. I'm scared to say it on here but... I don't think Harriott's very good...
    You maybe right, but he is still be better than Green. I also think that you are being harsh on a very young player that played a big part in our getting out of a relegation dog fight last season.

I love the fact he runs at defences. If you do this there is a very good chance you will lose the ball. There is a chance you get through. It is a fact of life as a ball playing forward. The alternative is the sideways pass. He is doing exactly what the position demands. Let him grow.

I also note the comments about Wiggins recently. One also needs to understand that a full back should not take on a full back unless he knows that there is cover behind him as if he loses the ball (see above) which is likely, we will be highly vulnerable.

Just saying....
  • Options

Am I the only person who thinks Jordan Cook deserves a shot in a diamond formation? Thought he dis well vs Oxford, and this formation suits him I think. Not sure why Green goes ahead of him, and Callum was woeful on Saturday...

No you're not the only one.
    Cook thinks it as well :-)
    And his Mum, perhaps... come to think of it, Harriott was so poor on Saturday, I think I'd put Jordan Cook's Mum ahead of him for the Blackburn game
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

JiMMy 85 said:

You maybe right, but he is still be better than Green. I also think that you are being harsh on a very young player that played a big part in our getting out of a relegation dog fight last season.

I love the fact he runs at defences. If you do this there is a very good chance you will lose the ball. There is a chance you get through. It is a fact of life as a ball playing forward. The alternative is the sideways pass. He is doing exactly what the position demands. Let him grow.

I also note the comments about Wiggins recently. One also needs to understand that a full back should not take on a full back unless he knows that there is cover behind him as if he loses the ball (see above) which is likely, we will be highly vulnerable.

Just saying....
    I didn't say I don't support him (there's something really grating about the way you wrote 'let him grow'), and I think you can assume most people on a football forum don't need a starter lesson in how attacking works, but thanks for putting the effort in anyway!
  • Options
    I think Harriot is suffering from what many young players suffer from - Second season blues. This is when the initial surprise of a player coming onto the scene is found out.

The good players will add to their repertoire of skills and tricks with help from the coaching staff and kick on, the next nine months will be a major turning point for Harriots career, determining if he is to be a lower league journey man or a top flight (Championship / Premiership) player.

He needs to be supported by staff, board and fans alike.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Redrobo said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Just saying....
    I didn't say I don't support him (there's something really grating about the way you wrote 'let him grow'), and I think you can assume most people on a football forum don't need a starter lesson in how attacking works, but thanks for putting the effort in anyway!
    Sorry, I was not trying to be offensive in any way and I did not suggest you did not support him. I merely suggest he needs time to grow into this role as it is quite differant to wing play and he should be given time to adjust and we may see a better player. I also said that you may well be right!
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

I think Harriot is suffering from what many young players suffer from - Second season blues. This is when the initial surprise of a player coming onto the scene is found out.

The good players will add to their repertoire of skills and tricks with help from the coaching staff and kick on, the next nine months will be a major turning point for Harriots career, determining if he is to be a lower league journey man or a top flight (Championship / Premiership) player.

You are blaming our bad play on "the staff, board, and fans alike." So it's our fault on the terraces for cheering too quietly?

Utter, utter balls. Paul Walsh had a sublime talent: his back to the goal, thirty yards out, would swivel and slide past the defender, and in to the box. One of the Blackpool midfielders did that against us last Saturday. We are wooden; that sort of skill is beyond the imagination of our coaching regime.

• Options
    edited October 2013

Kap10 said:

You are blaming our bad play on "the staff, board, and fans alike." So it's our fault on the terraces for cheering too quietly?

Utter, utter balls. Paul Walsh had a sublime talent: his back to the goal, thirty yards out, would swivel and slide past the defender, and in to the box. One of the Blackpool midfielders did that against us last Saturday. We are wooden; that sort of skill is beyond the imagination of our coaching regime.

You're talking rubbish. What has Paul Walsh, who we sold 30 years ago, have to do with anything now. Norman Smith was a good player too but so what? You seem obsessed with Doncaster and one goal from a throw in but ignore Harriot's role in the goal v forest when we moved the ball quickly and sharply.

Kap10 is correct, last season Harriot was a breath of fresh air and a key part of our late run. This season he is finding it a bit harder but so are a few others and we are missing 6 or 7 players (injured or released) from the team that finished last season.

And Kap said nothing about blaming the "the staff, board and fans alike". He clearly said Callum needs the support of all three and he's right.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

What a load of balls, I have blamed his alleged poor play on having the second season syndrome and have not commented on our team performance. You really need to sort out your penis beaker!
  • Options
    Greenie is a confidence player and on his day is a good player. Ditto Harriet. What they both lack is consistency so CP will prefer to play Pritch or Wilson on the right (when Solly returns) because overall they give more to the team. I would also like to see Cook given a handful of games to see what he can do. Not seen enough of Cameron Stewart to make an opinion yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We are fourth from bottom. Why are we discussing wingers?
  • Options

We are fourth from bottom. Why are we discussing wingers?

I think we are more discussing who plays at the front of a diamond four.
  • Options
    Harriott's decision making needs to improve (hopefully, with experience, it will) and he was obviously frustrated at times on Saturday. However, it's important to note that he worked really very hard when Blackpool were in possession, helping to frustrate their build up play. Also, his very ambitious style, whilst sometimes ill judged, can disrupt defences precisely because it's unpredictable. He unsettled Forest.

There is no way Green can play the role Harriott has been playing. He just doesn't have the energy. Not sure about Stewart either, but I haven't seen enough to judge.

It's horses for courses, obviously, and we may not seen the midfield diamond again for a while, but if we do I wouldn't be surprised to see Jackson in the advanced position. I know he's not a classic playmaker, but I remember him playing behind the striker in a 4-4-1-1 against Blackburn last season and he was very effective. This would also preserve the Cousins, Stephens, Gower combination which has worked well, especially against Forest.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    I like green as a sub but would never start him. He is a bit of a luxury but if you are chasing a game he can be a good option.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Kap10 said:

You're talking rubbish. What has Paul Walsh, who we sold 30 years ago, have to do with anything now. Norman Smith was a good player too but so what? You seem obsessed with Doncaster and one goal from a throw in but ignore Harriot's role in the goal v forest when we moved the ball quickly and sharply.

Kap10 is correct, last season Harriot was a breath of fresh air and a key part of our late run. This season he is finding it a bit harder but so are a few others and we are missing 6 or 7 players (injured or released) from the team that finished last season.

And Kap said nothing about blaming the "the staff, board and fans alike". He clearly said Callum needs the support of all three and he's right.</blockqute

Perhaps Norman Smith was a good player, Henry - and Harriott is his name, not 'Harriot', as you insist.

We lost at The Valley last season to Palace (0-1), Watford (1-2), Barnsley (0-1), Middlesbrough (1-4), Ipswich (1-2), Sheffield Wednesday (1-2), Nottingham Forest (0-2), Burnley (0-1, Millwall (0-2). We could not pass the ball accurately, let alone move and receive. There were also those dreary draws - at home - against Hull, Blackburn, Huddersfield, Brighton, Derby, and Birmingham.

And I also witnessed those pitiful failures in the Cups, at home against Orient and Huddersfield.

The first game of this season was away at Bournemouth, who had just been promoted. Did we stamp our authority on the new boys? We were incapable of matching them, just as I had seen us struggle in pre-season against a team two divisions below. At home to Boro we were even worse - worse even than against Millwall - and against Forest and Blackpool. At home you must light the spark, pressure the opposition and disturb them. We have had only two accurate attempts at goal in each of our home games this season.

Many fans want The Valley to be a sort of training pitch, where players like Harriott, Cousins, Pritchard and Pigott are learning their trade - an apprenticeship, if you like. Meanwhile, the managers and players from Palace, Watford and Barnsley beat us. And Boro and Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday. And Forest, Burnley and Millwall - last season - and Huddersfield this, away twice in ten days.

All of those teams have contractual worries and players out through injury. They were not thinking of any of those things when they beat us - they played with a strategy and fluency that is simply beyond Stephens, Hughes and Gower. Harriott is marginal - insignificant - when he is not a liability.

There is not one team in the Championship that started this season without ambitions for a play-off place. We were in the Premiership recently and are now shuffling around with Yeovil and Barnsley. This is evidently good enough for you, Henry, and many like you. Not me.
  • Options
    I think you'll see a different harriot when he has a better option in front of him. Once kermigant is back there's someone the ball will stick to and harriot can use the space and only have a cb to beat rather than two or three players he currently has to get past!!

But green, meh. I think he can be very useful for last 15/20 min of a game but you can't give a bench spot to someone who can only manage 20min max.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

And Kap said nothing about blaming the "the staff, board and fans alike". He clearly said Callum needs the support of all three and he's right.
    As ever you ignore the points raised and just bring in a lot of unconnected statements and opinions. Last season we finished above many of those teams you listed.

We lost games, you know what so did every team last season. Strangely you only list the defeats not the victories when we has a stable side and Harroit was playing. Maube if we'd kept that side together and kept some of the promises of new contracts plus avoided the injuries to senior players we'd be doing better this year, who knows?

We were not in the premiership "recently" but you then mention Barnsley who were also in the Premiership once as were most of the division bar Yeovil and Millwall. So what? We're not in the Premiership now so it is an irrelevant point.

You haven't responded to how you totally twisted what Kap10 said about Harriot needing the support of the board, staff or fans or explained why a player from 30 years ago supports your feeble argument. You don't because you can't. It was meaningless rambling.

Bit like when you told people off for suggesting Dunphy's "only a game" had nothing to do with Charlton and was set in the 60s and just ignored the fact that you were wrong on both counts.

Another person to add to the ignore list.
  • Options
    Exactly what I advised VG to do on the Chris Dickson thread Henners which had degenerated into the usual unbalanced postings on poor training, poor management, poor home record and poor outlook.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Exactly what I advised VG to do on the Chris Dickson thread Henners which had degenerated into the usual unbalanced postings on poor training, poor management, poor home record and poor outlook.

Saw that and make you 100% correct.

• Options

Kap10 said:

There are very few players with the natural talent of Paul Walsh!

A coach or manager can only work with the resources he has particularly if, like us, his club is skint!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On the bench at West Ham, today?
  • Options
    Cook seems to be creating plenty today. - per my earlier posts in this thread, I feel he deserves a chance.

Curbs always used to take the view that during a bad run at some point you really have to give the fringe players a shot - otherwise what are they there for? Players like Johnny Robinson, Kevin Lisbie made proper contributions as a result
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Kap10 said:

As ever you ignore the points raised and just bring in a lot of unconnected statements and opinions. Last season we finished above many of those teams you listed.

We lost games, you know what so did every team last season. Strangely you only list the defeats not the victories when we has a stable side and Harroit was playing. Maube if we'd kept that side together and kept some of the promises of new contracts plus avoided the injuries to senior players we'd be doing better this year, who knows?

We were not in the premiership "recently" but you then mention Barnsley who were also in the Premiership once as were most of the division bar Yeovil and Millwall. So what? We're not in the Premiership now so it is an irrelevant point.

You haven't responded to how you totally twisted what Kap10 said about Harriot needing the support of the board, staff or fans or explained why a player from 30 years ago supports your feeble argument. You don't because you can't. It was meaningless rambling.

Bit like when you told people off for suggesting Dunphy's "only a game" had nothing to do with Charlton and was set in the 60s and just ignored the fact that you were wrong on both counts.

Another person to add to the ignore list.

VIEWFINDER said -

Well, you won't be surprised that I disagree with you. I am certainly not the only one to cast a critical eye over the team; my views are shared by a friend and fellow season-ticket holder, and those around me in the Lower North.

I think blind, uncritical support is worse than pointless. The deification of Chris Powell by many on this site strikes me as plain silly; comparing him to a saint is not something that Powell himself would want. I feel sure he wants us to be a discerning and knowledgeable set of fans, because he personally embraces education (doing his UEFA badges) and through his good work for the PFA espoused empowerment.

I shall continue to be vocal with my opinions, just as you will be with yours, Henry. I always take the time to consider your views, invariably well reasoned and eloquently voiced.