Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• edited June 2021
    I'm not fussed, but I have to say most debateable decisions have favoured Denmark.
    Eriksen is possibly helping them more by his enforced absence.
  • edited June 2021
    Makes you wonder how Italy will play once they play a decent team. Wales were their toughest opposition in the group and Denmark have just played them off the park.
  • Wow, Wales were poor but Denmark played really well and are on a roll

Dare I say it, but Denmark aren’t missing Eriksen on the pitch
  • Wales outclassed by Denmark but Wales did better than Northern and the Republic of Ireland and better than Scotland.
  • I love the videos of Danes on the street celebrating after the goals. All 300 of them.
  • Wales were terrible. The key to them seems to be getting Bale into the game as much as possible but that didn't happen today for whatever reason.
  • cafctom said:
    At least now all the Englishmen who have been fawning over Wales can consider supporting their actual country now.  
    Come off it. 
    I wanted Wales to do well. I ‘supported’ them in their games. 
    Here’s the complicated bit - I ALSO supported England in theirs and will continue to support them.
    If Englishmen have been fawning over Wales I must have missed that.  

• Wales outclassed by Denmark but Wales did better than Northern and the Republic of Ireland and better than Scotland.
    Yet means that Denmark have effectively knocked out both Wales and Republic of Ireland...
  • Makes you wonder how Italy will play once they play a decent team. Wales were their toughest opposition in the group and Denmark have just played them off the park.
    Italy look like a good side but I do agree. Their lack of games against big sides makes them an unknown quantity.

I think they play really positive football. It’ll just be whether that holds up against sides like France on the counter.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Makes you wonder how Italy will play once they play a decent team. Wales were their toughest opposition in the group and Denmark have just played them off the park.
    Italy look like a good side but I do agree. Their lack of games against big sides makes them an unknown quantity.

I think they play really positive football. It’ll just be whether that holds up against sides like France on the counter.
    Italy v Belgium or Portugal in the Quarter-Finals will be the big one for them

Part of me still thinks it will be an England v Italy Final
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2021
    Austria will be a good test for them. Italy should win comfortably but the Austrians will be well organised. It may help us see whether they are just contenders or favourites.

Were Moore  and James injured? It seemed strange taking two of their threats off even if they were tired. 
  • It wasn’t a red, but it’s Wales, so it’s fair enough.

Yeah f**k em, they’ll be laughing their tits off at us when Germany beat us on Tuesday
  • That’s an embarrassing score for Wales!
  • For the Welsh this result is hard to take but just remember that the proper result for all is that Robbie Savage is going home. 
  • edited June 2021
    Robbie Savage still laughing. Hal Robson-Kanu is articulate and hopefully gets a job in the media when he retires. With the world cup just 18 months away why would Bale retire now before qualification ? Can't just be Golf as he will have 40 years to play golf in a couple of years when ever he wants.
  • I  missed the first half, but didn't notice Ramsay at all in the second half, very anonymous
  • colthe3rd said:
    I don't think there is an obvious weaker half of the draw, unlike in 2018, so it's more important to play well, beat the Czechs and stay at Wembley. 
    No quarter finals are at Wembley so it's only the second round game. Either finish top and play a very strong side at wembley, finish second probably play Sweden (though it could easily be Spain or anyone in that group) in Copenhagen. I'm not sure what I'd prefer really, keep changing my mind each time I look.
    The game in Copenhagen will be against Spain if Sweden beat Poland, which I think is likely. Bookies discounting the Swedish odds because Poland need a result but Poland are pants when it matters in these big tournaments.

Theoretical path if we draw and land in the top half: Spain -> France -> Belgium/Italy -> Netherlands/Germany/Portugal

Theoretical path if we win and go into the bottom half: Germany/Portugal -> Sweden -> Netherlands -> Belgium/Italy/France

just to clarify for my little brain, are the groups decided by head to head first rather than goal difference? 
    Yes
    That's what I thought but that's not what I found when looking it up earlier:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/soccer/news/euro-2021-how-best-third-3rd-place-teams-advance-groups/6ce5esvedrun17nh2ghj0ion8
    That's how they rank all the third placed teams, one from each group. Which makes sense because head to head doesn't exist, they haven't played each other.

The groups themselves go by head to head, then by goal difference etc.
    Ok, so best if we lose and finish 3rd. Then we'll get Poland, Austria, Sweden and Australia.
    This is Euro 2020, not Eurovision. (It makes me laugh that Australia enter that)
  • Sponsored links:

• Italian anthem is a banger
  • Stefco said:
    colthe3rd said:
    I don't think there is an obvious weaker half of the draw, unlike in 2018, so it's more important to play well, beat the Czechs and stay at Wembley. 
    No quarter finals are at Wembley so it's only the second round game. Either finish top and play a very strong side at wembley, finish second probably play Sweden (though it could easily be Spain or anyone in that group) in Copenhagen. I'm not sure what I'd prefer really, keep changing my mind each time I look.
    The game in Copenhagen will be against Spain if Sweden beat Poland, which I think is likely. Bookies discounting the Swedish odds because Poland need a result but Poland are pants when it matters in these big tournaments.

Theoretical path if we draw and land in the top half: Spain -> France -> Belgium/Italy -> Netherlands/Germany/Portugal

Theoretical path if we win and go into the bottom half: Germany/Portugal -> Sweden -> Netherlands -> Belgium/Italy/France

just to clarify for my little brain, are the groups decided by head to head first rather than goal difference? 
    Yes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/soccer/news/euro-2021-how-best-third-3rd-place-teams-advance-groups/6ce5esvedrun17nh2ghj0ion8
    That's how they rank all the third placed teams, one from each group. Which makes sense because head to head doesn't exist, they haven't played each other.

Ok, so best if we lose and finish 3rd. Then we'll get Poland, Austria, Sweden and Australia.
    This is Euro 2020, not Eurovision. (It makes me laugh that Australia enter that)
    It makes me laugh that we still enter it.
  • DRAddick said:
    Stefco said:
    colthe3rd said:

Yes

It makes me laugh that anybody enters it.
  • ffs unless he's injured why leave out Locatelli?! 
  • This is shaping up to be a bit tasty. 
  • Could be a tasty affair this 
  • Was about to come in here and use the word tasty but I see it’s already been done twice! Both sides getting stuck in.
  • DRAddick said:
    Stefco said:
    colthe3rd said:

Yes

It makes me laugh that anybody enters it.
    Makes me laugh how anyone watches it 
  • edited June 2021
    This Italy side could get taken apart by a decent side on the counter. 

I think they’ll have to tighten things up after this game.
  • Italy don’t look as good without the crowd in Rome