Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• China was tongue in cheek but if you're looking at vaccination numbers thinking that gives a chance for the UK to host full stadiums in June then they might as well be considered a viable option.
  • I think UEFA would prefer, say, a half filled Anfield over an empty Stadio Olimpico.
  • Can't see us getting slightly clear of Covid and then inviting thousands of foreign fans over.
  • edited January 2021
    Haven’t read the email yet, but WhatsApp group went crazy discussing it last night. UEFA must be hoping that a large percentage return their tickets as no chance it goes ahead with 100% capacity.

Got tickets for all England matches. I do have a bit of inside information about this. Very strongly believe the matches in England will remain in England. High take up of the vaccine etc.

Less than 1% concerned that they will move tournament to Russia.

UEFA are very much hoping people return their tickets in this window, as it allows them the controversial decision of having to randomly pick and cancel people tickets for matches.
  • edited January 2021
    Right so everyone on here convinced the tournament will be played in England because we will be further along with vaccination answer me this.

Why would England be given that advantage to have their fans there and no other countries get their fans in as surely away fans wouldn't be allowed to travel and stay in hotels.

The government wont allow fans from other countries to come in if they haven't been vaccinated and i cant see checks at airports to make sure people have been vaccinated happening.

• Right so everyone on here convinced the tournament will be played in England because we will be further along with vaccination answer me this.

Why would England be given that advantage to have their fans there and no other countries get their fans in as surely away fans wouldn't be allowed to travel and stay in hotels.

The government wont allow fans from other countries to come in if they haven't been vaccinated and i cant see checks at airports to make sure people have been vaccinated happening.

Why won't they allow foreign supporters in without a vaccine, if all of the UK's most vulnerable people have already been vaccinated by that point?

I would have thought a negative test result would be sufficient.
  • Right so everyone on here convinced the tournament will be played in England because we will be further along with vaccination answer me this.

Without knowing the breakdown of the demographic of tickets per match. Hard to answer that one. For example, England v Scotland how many percentage of match ticket sold are from people outside the UK etc.

Wouldn’t put my house on tournament to go ahead with supporters, but I am certain the matches at Wembley will remain at Wembley.

£$€

If the tournament can be held in the UK with (at least) British fans in attendance, then you have three host nations (England, Wales & Scotland - it’s not just England!) that have all qualified. Add together the tickets already purchased by fans from those three countries and I would very much guess that they make up the largest individual purchasers of tickets of any country. That means refunds UEFA need to make to fans from the other countries that aren’t allowed to travel will be substantial, but are minimised as much as possible.

Add to that the UK could hold a tournament tomorrow given the infrastructure that we have (stadiums, training grounds, hotels, transport) and it starts to make sense. Plus Wembley was already the host venue for the semis and final. 

That being said, given that we can’t even open schools at the moment I can’t really see the UK government agreeing in the next couple of months to host an international football tournament with tens of thousands of fans of any nationality, including our own, in attendance. 

Without knowing the breakdown of the demographic of tickets per match. Hard to answer that one. For example, England v Scotland how many percentage of match ticket sold are from people outside the UK etc.

Wouldn’t put my house on tournament to go ahead with supporters, but I am certain the matches at Wembley will remain at Wembley.
    England v Scotland maybe but if we are talking about holding the whole tournament in one country now, what happens with England v Croatia or North Macedonia v Ukraine are we gonna have thousands of those fans in this country with the possibility of them not being vaccinated, just a couple of months after we have got out of a national lockdown.

I just cant see it myself from a non footballing view point can you imagine the outrage of allowing all those people into the country.
  • MrLargo said:
    Right so everyone on here convinced the tournament will be played in England because we will be further along with vaccination answer me this.

Why won't they allow foreign supporters in without a vaccine, if all of the UK's most vulnerable people have already been vaccinated by that point?

I would have thought a negative test result would be sufficient.
    did someone not get covid after having the vaccine a few weeks ago, I thpught it just stopped it being as bad but didn't stop u getting covid altogether.

• Sponsored links:

• I just think we are looking at this from football fans perspectives and not from the perspective of the bigger view

England v Scotland maybe but if we are talking about holding the whole tournament in one country now, what happens with England v Croatia or North Macedonia v Ukraine are we gonna have thousands of those fans in this country with the possibility of them not being vaccinated, just a couple of months after we have got out of a national lockdown.

I just cant see it myself from a non footballing view point can you imagine the outrage of allowing all those people into the country.
    If the tournament is moved fully to the UK it will behind close doors. UEFA are huge organisations but they aren’t going to cancel and resale almost a million tickets in 3 months. 

we've got that covered, Croatia and Czech republic shirts already been bought in their droves north of the border 
  • se9addick said:

£$€

If the tournament can be held in the UK with (at least) British fans in attendance, then you have three host nations (England, Wales & Scotland - it’s not just England!) that have all qualified. Add together the tickets already purchased by fans from those three countries and I would very much guess that they make up the largest individual purchasers of tickets of any country. That means refunds UEFA need to make to fans from the other countries that aren’t allowed to travel will be substantial, but are minimised as much as possible.

Add to that the UK could hold a tournament tomorrow given the infrastructure that we have (stadiums, training grounds, hotels, transport) and it starts to make sense. Plus Wembley was already the host venue for the semis and final. 

That being said, given that we can’t even open schools at the moment I can’t really see the UK government agreeing in the next couple of months to host an international football tournament with tens of thousands of fans of any nationality, including our own, in attendance. 
    But no decision is being made until March and latest date for refunds is next week so whatever happens u aint getting a refund on your ticket unless you go for it now
  • se9addick said:

£$€

But no decision is being made until March and latest date for refunds is next week so whatever happens u aint getting a refund on your ticket unless you go for it now
    I just re-read the new policy and I think, if there is a change of venue, you could still be entitled to a refund after January.
  • I reread the new policy again and referencing a late change of venue the line they keep repeating is "UEFA shall not have any liability to the applicant but shall issue the applicant a refund to the face value of the ticket"
    So maybe they have just put this in place to protect themselves against claims for other costs (flight and hotels etc) if they move it last minute.

It does read like you should be able to get your money back even if they move venue.

The same line "UEFA shall not have any liability to the applicant but shall issue the applicant a refund to the face value of the ticket" is repeated later when discussing the policy for games behind closed doors as well as those with reduced capacity.
  • I reread the new policy again and referencing a late change of venue the line they keep repeating is "UEFA shall not have any liability to the applicant but shall issue the applicant a refund to the face value of the ticket"
    So maybe they have just put this in place to protect themselves against claims for other costs (flight and hotels etc) if they move it last minute.

It does read like you should be able to get your money back even if they move venue.

The same line "UEFA shall not have any liability to the applicant but shall issue the applicant a refund to the face value of the ticket" is repeated later when discussing the policy for games behind closed doors as well as those with reduced capacity.
    Yeah that’s my reading of it too, basically you can have the unilateral right to a refund until 26/01, after that you can only have a refund (of your ticket price) related to a change of venue. 
  • https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/uefa-euro-2020-england-b1792522.html

Crazy they are still adamant to go ahead with the 12 cities format. Although, it seems that some cities may pull out but would be waiting for compensation from UEFA. What a mess.

Also says that the idea of a one host nation or even a British Isles tournament is highly unlikely. 
  • There is absolutely no way any fans will get into a football match in Dublin in June.

We are soooooooooooo behind with everything here. Community vaccinations aren’t due to start for anyone until mid February with a vaccine that’s the least effective.
    We’ve just had confirmation that the lockdown with 5km restrictions has been extended to the 5th March.

Not happening.
  • Sponsored links:

• I applied for a refund on my tickets last night. No chance it happens how we’d want it to , if at all for fans 
  • There is absolutely no way any fans will get into a football match in Dublin in June.

We are soooooooooooo behind with everything here. Community vaccinations aren’t due to start for anyone until mid February with a vaccine that’s the least effective.
    We’ve just had confirmation that the lockdown with 5km restrictions has been extended to the 5th March.

Not happening.
    Does not sound promising! What is the least effective vaccine..?
  • cafc4life said:
    I applied for a refund on my tickets last night. No chance it happens how we’d want it to , if at all for fans 
    Why did you apply for a refund? If it goes ahead without fans you'd get a refund anyway. I'm holding on to mine but doubt I'll be going.
  • 6 of us returned our quarter final tickets (subject to England reaching it). I’ve still kept the Last 16 ticket as already paid for flights and hotel in Dublin. Planning to go even if behind close doors as got a lovely spa hotel booked.

All the other ones are at Wembley so can’t see the point of returning them as not any restrictions can be placed which could stop me attending. Quarantine, negative test etc.

Not happening.
    salt water

Not happening.
    The Oxford one.
    Ireland has signed up for 5 of the vaccines.
    The first 2 being used are the Phizer & Moderna ones. Both have a 95% success rate and they’re being used (albeit very slowly) on the first wave of those who needed to be vaccinated.
    Its likely by the time it gets rolled out to the community, the Oxford one will be in use, it only has 62% success rate.

• colthe3rd said:
    cafc4life said:
    I applied for a refund on my tickets last night. No chance it happens how we’d want it to , if at all for fans 
    Why did you apply for a refund? If it goes ahead without fans you'd get a refund anyway. I'm holding on to mine but doubt I'll be going.
    I imagine because even if you can go, it would be shite with a few k in Wembley, in masks, no standing, no opposition fans etc etc.

That said, I’ve cancelled them all except Scotland, the semi and the final.........just in case.
  • UEFA Officially just confirmed they intent to go ahead with the original format of 12 host cities. 

I am just hoping I can get to Poland and Hungary for the qualifiers later this year. Seems more realistic.
  • UEFA Officially just confirmed they intent to go ahead with the original format of 12 host cities. 

I am just hoping I can get to Poland and Hungary for the qualifiers later this year. Seems more realistic.
    Can't see that happening. Add on the cost of quarantine in a hotel and many fans cannot afford to travel 
  • I don't understand that decision at all. I can only think that it will go ahead as planned and without fans if necessary.