Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Patrick Moore RIP

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2013
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

The sad fact of todays society is the majority would much rather watch the likes of Towie..............................

Can't spend your life staring at Uranus.
    Wasn't PM a confirmed racist?

No, he just stated a fact that the UK is being over run with parasites.
    Bloody hell, next step death camps to some on here!
  • Options

The sad fact of todays society is the majority would much rather watch the likes of Towie..............................

Love a bit of towie (which is on an obscure channel like ITV2) but still really enjoy these type of informative programmes. The BBC lost it ages ago, scrapping Shooting Stars and replacing it with some real crap comedy. Had the misfortune of watching eastenders last night, it was horrific. Also watched that Puppet gameshow which is on prime time TV on a saturday night, even worse.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

82% of the population is white... so maybe he meant 'really stupid white racists'...
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    JiMMy 85 said:

BIG_ROB said:

82% of the population is white... so maybe he meant 'really stupid white racists'...
    Nah, he was right wing and was almost certainly referring to immigrants from the the Indian sub continent in the comments I have heard attributed to him.

His thinking and mind set was a product of his generation and formative years. As he is dead, I cannot see why a defamation of his character is necessary in response to a comment about whether TSAN should be axed from the BBC.

Unless of course the next episode was about a plan to send all people of a certain race to Mars in rocket ships. Uranus jokes on the other hand are always welcome on CL...

;0)
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

BIG_ROB said:

pmsl
  • Options
    He also publicly stated he never got over his hatred for Germans for his Fiancee being killed in a bombing raid. A product of his time and experiences.
    Still did a lot of good for television and public sciences and in no way should TSAn be cancelled. Just more giving in to the public simpleton majority.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Well its a sad fact that if no-one is watching then it can get replaced by something cheaper/more likely to be watched.

It's not really the BBC's fault if no-one is tuning in to watch it.

Of course, but I think the current presenters say it gets 1 million + viewers, which is not shabby given the way it's scheduled, the lack of publicity, etc. And I don't think it could be much cheaper than it was for most of the last 10 years, with SPM and a few scientists chatting in his home with the aid of film clips.
  • Options

Well its a sad fact that if no-one is watching then it can get replaced by something cheaper/more likely to be watched.

Of course, but I think the current presenters say it gets 1 million + viewers, which is not shabby given the way it's scheduled, the lack of publicity, etc. And I don't think it could be much cheaper than it was for most of the last 10 years, with SPM and a few scientists chatting in his home with the aid of film clips.
    Didn't realise it was pulling in 1 million +, stupid decision if true.
  • Options

Didn't realise it was pulling in 1 million +, stupid decision if true.
    Chris Lintott (presenter/astrophysicist) tweeted, "Total viewing figures for a typical Sky at Night, across BBC1, BBC2 and BBC4: roughly a million. Just saying." I may have exaggerated slightly, but then a lot of fans would watch it on iPlayer and I don't know if he counted that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP Patrick. Genius at work laid to rest. Must we keep moving televisión in favor of the mindless majority. Monty Python were right. Some of those ijits would be just as happy watching the test card!
  • Options

The BBC is currently reviewing the future of the Sky at Night beyond the end of the year, amid rumours that they are considering axing it (e.g. telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10329846/The-Sky-At-Night-faces-the-axe-one-year-after-Sir-Patrick-Moores-death.html).

If you would like to urge the BBC not to trash one of the best remaining examples of intelligent tv, there is a petition at change.org/petitions/the-bbc-please-do-not-axe-the-sky-at-night. Thank you!

As most of you will now be aware, the BBC have recently announced that The Sky at Night will continue from February next year, after a break in January. The BBC's own news website states that this is following this petition (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24740857) so I just wanted to say an extremely grateful 'Thank You', on behalf of the entire 'Save Sky at Night Team' to each and every one of you who took the time to sign this petition and say how delighted we are that the programme has been saved.
    We don't yet know what the format will be, or even who will be presenting it, but we feel that we cannot really do anything useful regarding that until the programme has aired a few times and we can gauge whether or not the scientific content has been retained to at least the same standard. As such we have decided to close this petition and 'watch and wait'.
    Once again thank you very much for your support and well done to all of us!
    Karen and the Save S@N Team.
  • Options
    what are the viewing figures for the sky at night?