Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Coventry City hold talks with Hinckley over stadium move

Comments

• Options
    Hubris.

Remember when the Coventry fans revelled in being in the top flight for decades and were so condescending to us.

Ha! Hope they are having fun now, arrogant b****rs.
  • Options
    I thought they were going to Nene Park, currently un-used. Former ground of Rushden & Diamonds.
  • Options

Very well put SheffieldRed

Seconded. Hope we never have cause to resurrect that post
  • Options
    Another very good win for them today away at 2nd place Donny
  • Options
    They are however supported by Jon Gaunt. So maybe it's not such a bad thing
  • Options
    Fantastic win for them today.
  • Options
    Dont like coventry the football club

Hate coventry as a place

Hope it goes tits and the club and city rot
  • Options
    Blimey, did you catch a dose or something up there nla?
  • Options
    Nah mate full of toss pots that City

Gave it large for far too long about their footballing status

always tried it on with us when we went there giving it large trying to attack small groups especially in the park or around the other side by the subway tunnel

absolute scum they have an inferiority complex with bham and villa so try to give it proper big potatoes

also when john alousi (however it was spelt) was there he used to irritate the shit out of me

one of our greatest days out the 2-3 game against them

I HATE COVENTRY CITY
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    That Coventry cup game was my first away day (not counting the play-off final) and what a great way to start! Not got much memory of it, being seven at the time but we were at ground level right by the corner flag and could barely see the winner go in up the other end but can still vividly remember Pringle jumping out of the way of Newton's shot to come back to 2-2 right in front of us. I remember wondering if all away games had such terrible views on the whole pitch.

Cool story.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah, we got chased back to the station by bushwackers.
  • Options
    Coventry City Council have agreed a package to pay off Yorkshire Bank and effectively take over the debt. Not sure whether this is good news for Coventry or not. This gives Arena Coventry Limited (ACL) breathing space and it is now up to Coventry FC and ACL to come to an agreement over rent - Coventry have already withheld over £1m while in dispute.

If the deal hadn't been done, the bank may have called in the debt and Coventry FC might have been able to get the stadium on a preferential deal.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/coventry-city-fc-news/2013/01/15/92746-32605775/
  • Options
    Portsmouth / Coventry , where will it end , how many more football clubs living beyond their means are going to go this way?
  • Options

Nah mate full of toss pots that City

Gave it large for far too long about their footballing status

always tried it on with us when we went there giving it large trying to attack small groups especially in the park or around the other side by the subway tunnel

absolute scum they have an inferiority complex with bham and villa so try to give it proper big potatoes

also when john alousi (however it was spelt) was there he used to irritate the shit out of me

one of our greatest days out the 2-3 game against them

I HATE COVENTRY CITY

Agreed, went to that game with my Dad luckily my younger brother did not come as someone put a brick through the coach window but will never forget singing "your not singing anymore" after they gave it so big to "little" Charlton.
  • Options
    it's easy for people to look at it now and say 'they should never have moved' but if they were a thriving championship side then it'd all be different. Moving grounds certainly hasn't done the likes of Derby, Hull, Reading, Southampton, Leicester, Cardiff or Swansea any harm.
  • Options
    What will the council tax payers think? If Coventry continue to struggle with payments yet pay players over inflatted wages, its the locals out of pocket!
  • Options
    i just hope they go out of business
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Coventry City Council have agreed a package to pay off Yorkshire Bank and effectively take over the debt. Not sure whether this is good news for Coventry or not. This gives Arena Coventry Limited (ACL) breathing space and it is now up to Coventry FC and ACL to come to an agreement over rent - Coventry have already withheld over £1m while in dispute.

If the deal hadn't been done, the bank may have called in the debt and Coventry FC might have been able to get the stadium on a preferential deal.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/coventry-city-fc-news/2013/01/15/92746-32605775/

I thought councils were under massive pressure to reduce expenditure ? How does bailing local football clubs fit with that ?
  • Options
    cafckev said:

What will the council tax payers think? If Coventry continue to struggle with payments yet pay players over inflatted wages, its the locals out of pocket!

The council are saying that they will actually benefit as they will receive the long term payments now, rather than the Bank. A deal still needs to be done between the club and the charity (ACL) that the council were in business with from the outset of the stadium.
  • Options
    Sad times
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

i just hope they go out of business

Idiot

• Options
    Why

Shit club

Shit city

Shit fans

If one club has to fall for others to realize there ain't a more deserving scummy club

I hope they rot I hope they close I hope they never reappear
  • Options
    Sent to Coventry in football terms then.
  • Options
    I went to Highfield Road several times, bloody terrible ground!
  • Options
    Fitted their scummy fans perfectly I thought
  • Options

Why

Shit club

Shit city

Shit fans

If one club has to fall for others to realize there ain't a more deserving scummy club

I hope they rot I hope they close I hope they never reappear

Have you met every Coventry City fan?

Do you know much about Coventry and its 1000 year history?
  • Options
    1000 year history

1 year a 1000 times. Awful place
  • Options

it's easy for people to look at it now and say 'they should never have moved' but if they were a thriving championship side then it'd all be different. Moving grounds certainly hasn't done the likes of Derby, Hull, Reading, Southampton, Leicester, Cardiff or Swansea any harm.

Coventry City moved from an all seater stadium to another all seater stadium (albeit bigger). They only filled their old stadium on rare occasions in the EPL. It may be argued that the increased capacity was needed if the club got back in the EPL and did really well, but how likely was that?

Of course the increased capacity was only one reason for the move, the move itself could have generated money, revenue streams could have been increased and road links were going to be better. Coventry should have had (at the time of the move) a good idea of the cost of the move / money generated by the move itself, as well as having reasonable projections for revenue streams at the new ground.

Did the move make sense financially if Coventry were in the top flight, perhaps, without access to projections, who knows. Based on what has happened since, it does not appear the move stacks up financially outside the top flight. This financial situation could have & should have been anticipated, in which case given Coventry City's history, it is arguable from a financial viewpoint alone that the move should never have occurred.

Coventry can be differentiated from the other clubs mentioned above as they all needed to modernise stadia (thus facing significant costs even if they remained where they were) and / or increased capacities. On a side note, Hull are considering leaving their 10 year old ground.
  • Options
    Also Leicester and Southampton were insolvent. Any other industry and they would have gone down the plughole.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that when the decision to move was made, Coventry were a premier league side so you can't really blame them for that. Highfield road despite being all seater, was a bit of a sh*thole.