Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Which chef do you copy for Xmas dinner

Jamie Oliver for the turkey and the spuds and gravy

His flavoured butter trick under the skin has been a favourite in our house for the last 4 years

His roast spuds are the best

His gravy is just the nutts didn't realise just how much flavour you get from making your own till we copied him

Nigella for the ham , her Xmas ham is the most amazing Christmas flavours and is the best IMO this is the 3rd year of nigella

Need someone for the beef any ideas anyone do something different with their beef at Christmas that they don't do any other time of year

Got 5 adults and 2 kids this year to feed so the meat sizes have gone up can't bloody wait for Xmas eve when the food starts to get cooked the first sign Santa is on way

Comments

• Options
    Would love to do beef for boxing day but half the family like it incinerated whereas i prefer to just show it the oven.
  • Options
    Same here mate I love a bit of beef to be red and rare wife likes it cooked as she calls it

Is it odd to have 3 meats for Xmas people in work say they only have 1
  • Options
    My wife likes it as rare as i do but the older members of the family don't trust it. Doing turkey on the day then loin of pork on boxing day. No arguments, they're either cooked or not!
  • Options
    Have, when still eating meat, found that Delia's Christmas recipes have always been delicious, easy to cook and reliable.

As this is my first vegetarian Christmas I am not sure what or who to follow.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    We're going for Lorraine Pascale's Yuletide Spiced Lamb this year.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b018nt6k/Lorraines_Last_Minute_Christmas/
    From 23m
  • Options
    Danny Mills....... I have the day off ;-)
  • Options
    iainment said:

Have, when still eating meat, found that Delia's Christmas recipes have always been delicious, easy to cook and reliable.

I always do her red cabbage recipe, with apples, onion, cloves etc. Takes a bit of time but is fairly easy to do. It keeps well so I usually do it on Christmas eve and can be frozen too.
  • Options
    I watched Fanny Craddock last week on some Sky channel, the 1970s were awful. (My grandad was the studio gas fitter, he would never eat anything she made).
    If there were more tv "chefs" about like Fanny, the western world wouldn't have the fat problems it has.

I'm married to a chef so any suggestions from me are ignored.
    BTW Delia and Nigella are not chefs and have never called themselves chefs, Jamie Oliver is many things including lucky.

• Options
    My mum
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Women cant be chefs they can only be cooks FACT

Ducks for cover

Joking by the way 8+)
  • Options

Would love to do beef for boxing day but half the family like it incinerated whereas i prefer to just show it the oven.

One option is to cut the beef into a couple of pieces before you put it in the oven. Take one piece out when it's done to your taste and leave the other bit in there to slowly shrivel and die for the philistines that think because it comes from a cow it should be like leather. Just need to keep your bit somewhere warm under some foil until the rest is done and maybe whack it back in the oven for a couple of minutes at the end to warm up.

• Options
    Rizzo said:

One option is to cut the beef into a couple of pieces before you put it in the oven. Take one piece out when it's done to your taste and leave the other bit in there to slowly shrivel and die for the philistines that think because it comes from a cow it should be like leather. Just need to keep your bit somewhere warm under some foil until the rest is done and maybe whack it back in the oven for a couple of minutes at the end to warm up.

Or, put the bit you are cremating in first then add yours later on
  • Options
    That works too
  • Options
    defo have 3 meats for Xmas and two spuds as well, roasts and mash.

mouth now watering
  • Options
    ...the Swedish chef.
    Nothing edible, and the kitchen's a bombsite.
  • Options
    I rock up to my parents and see what Chef SideBurn Sid has cooked up!
  • Options
    Lol
  • Options
    Jamie's red cabbage with bacon is sex. Nigella and Jamie for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not big on xmas dinner, except for the tradition etc, more into my boxing day cold meats, mash and pickles
  • Options
    Love it mate but have chips instead of mash

And as many hot weird and wonderful pickles and chutneys that I have found throughout the year
  • Options
    anybody still have bubble & squeak on Boxing Day?
  • Options
    Yep we do love it but have to squash it well to get the water out of the veg so I can get it crispy

Love squashing the Brussels into it with parsnips carrots swede
  • Options
    Delia for turkey but might include Jamie's butter under skin trick this year.
    Do Jamie's freeze ahead gravy already in freezer and roasted root veg.
    Have never done ham, can I serve it cold on Christmas Day? Don't want to have something else to get ready at the same time
    Ps I am a vegetarian!
  • Options
    Yes mate the ham is cooked the night before and it is the most amazing taste of Xmas I have ever had

And for the whole time you still have it the taste of Xmas lives on in sandwiches and cold meat and chips
  • Options

iainment said:

I always do her red cabbage recipe, with apples, onion, cloves etc. Takes a bit of time but is fairly easy to do. It keeps well so I usually do it on Christmas eve and can be frozen too.
    My missus did that red cabbage thing a couple of years ago. Unfortunately she forgot to scale down the amount of cloves that she used resulting in every...single....thing on the plate tasting of cloves. Waded through about 3 quarters of it making the appropriate 'yummy, mmmm, lovely, thanks darling' noises before she pipes up and confesses what she'd done and asks me did I not think it tastes funny?

I swear it was a test of my gratitude to this day...
  • Options
    Always do Delia's ham, brown sugar and mustard glaze with cloves,superb!
  • Options
    They are all similar tbf just found after trying
    Them all nigella kicks arse