Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London Boxing Day fixtures cancelled?

Probably no truth in it but apparently on sky sports news earlier they were saying that the boxing day game might be called off due to tube strikes in London.

Can anyone shed anymore light on the situation?

Fk

Comments

• Options
    Considering most of our support come from Kent and have not been able to get the train into Charlton on Boxing Day for years, I think we'll be ok.
  • Options
    I really hope they don't get called off - a lot of people buy tickets for friends and family who will be busy when the games are re-scheduled.
  • Options
    Dont it and im sure any strike wont have a huge impact, all RMT drivers will be in as will at a guess 40-60% of Aslef
  • Options
    Why would they call the Boxing Day game off, cause of Bob Crow and his cronies. Nonsense.
  • Options
    Didn't Arsenal postpone their game for 24 hours last year because of a tube strike on Boxing Day?

Chelsea didn't, but I suppose their attitude is "we have your money, so we don't care".
  • Options
    Many Ipswich fans wont need to travel within London by tube as they could walk from Liverpool Street to London Bridge if necessary, Many will drive over anyway. 99.999999999% sure we don't have any risk.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Many Ipswich fans wont need to travel within London by tube as they could walk from Liverpool Street to London Bridge if necessary, Many will drive over anyway. 99.999999999% sure we don't have any risk.

No trains anyway Davo. So reckon you're bang on when you say most of them will drive.
  • Options
    Hope it's not cancelled. Boxing day football is blooming brilliant
  • Options
    If it's postponed (it won't be) I won't be telling the wife :-)
  • Options
    Be interesting to know how many of our home support travel to the games on the London underground

No, actually no it wouldn't be
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That is nonsence, there have been tube strikes on boxing day for the last 3 years, so the game that was aboned at 12:30pm due to ice was on a tube strike day. I know because I had to get to the valley by bus DLR and bus, so why will they cancel this game then when the weather will be mild and wet.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Why would they call the Boxing Day game off, cause of Bob Crow and his cronies. Nonsense.

Bob Crow is RMT this is a ASLEF strike Bobs drivers will be working

• Options
    Carter said:

Be interesting to know how many of our home support travel to the games on the London underground

I use the tube to get to the game. I'm at my Dad's in Kent for Christmas and as there are no trains anyway I won't make this one.
  • Options
    The talk yesterday was only of Arsenal postponing their West Ham game. Can't see any reason for ours to be off...other than a ref fancying a quick getaway home to get back to his turkey left-overs...again!!
  • Options

shirty5 said:

Bob Crow is RMT this is a ASLEF strike Bobs drivers will be working

Bob Crow is also a big (in more ways than one) Millwall fan - and they aren't playing so he won't care - not that he would anyway!
  • Options
    The only reason Arsenal may postpone is because 99% of their support use the tube. The QPR game is going ahead, as are a couple of League One/Two games.
  • Options
    If they do I will turn up at their picket line and let them know what a bunch of selfish twats they are.
    Absolute bunch of mugs. And they say politicians are out of touch.
    Who would have thought that when unions began to help improve terrible health and safety records and almost effective slavery that one day they would be protesting at receiving double the national average wage

To quote a great thinker of our time #bunchoftwats
  • Options
    Carter said:

A few people use North Greenwich, but it's a tiny number when compared with the number using Charlton station, and we haven't cancelled the game because there are no NR trains running!

Arsenal is a different situation, it would be impossible to get 60k to the Emirates without the tube running.
  • Options

we can't be in London as the tube doesn't go as far as Charlton, so no problem.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I use the tube to get to the game. I'm at my Dad's in Kent for Christmas and as there are no trains anyway I won't make this one.

Have you thought about using the Valley Express ?
  • Options

Carter said:

A few people use North Greenwich, but it's a tiny number when compared with the number using Charlton station, and we haven't cancelled the game because there are no NR trains running!

Arsenal is a different situation, it would be impossible to get 60k to the Emirates without the tube running.
    Some (like me) get the tube to London Bridge to connect to NR for Charlton. There's not a lot running with or without the strike anyway.

Bit ironic people complaining about the strikers on Boxing Day stopping them getting to a football game, given they obviously aren't having to work...
  • Options
    There didn't used to be many tube stations open on a Boxing Day and you still got the biggest crowds of the season. Crack on....
  • Options
    NZAddick said:

Carter said:

Some (like me) get the tube to London Bridge to connect to NR for Charlton. There's not a lot running with or without the strike anyway.

Bit ironic people complaining about the strikers on Boxing Day stopping them getting to a football game, given they obviously aren't having to work...
    Not really as most don't have jobs that require us to work on Boxing Day.
  • Options
    Would only be ironic if they did have to work boxing day, but had either taken the day off or had forced management to let them have it off. The fact people work different shifts and hours is just normal and in no way ironic. Is people complaining about train delays on their way home from work, when they themselves have finished for the day also ironic?
  • Options
    What's a train?
  • Options
    NZAddick said:

Carter said:

That's my normal route to the Valley as well, but I'm sure it's a relatively small number of supporters (500 out of 15000?)
  • Options
    NZAddick said:

Carter said:

Yeah and Saturdays. Everyone should work the exact same hours, regardless of what you're contracted for.
  • Options
    No irony in people who don't have to work on a statutory holiday complaining about a strike held by people who have to work on that day about their working on that day because it affects their day off? I thought so!
  • Options
    I wish our strikers were working at the moment.