Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London Boxing Day fixtures cancelled?

2»

Comments

• Options
    What rate of pay are they after? If I work a bank holiday I get about two and a half times normal rate, but then I don't work shifts and that's something you give up when you take the money of working shifts.
  • Options
    They are on double and now want Triple and time off
  • Options
    NZAddick said:

No irony in people who don't have to work on a statutory holiday complaining about a strike held by people who have to work on that day about their working on that day because it affects their day off? I thought so!

No irony at all. Those lucky enough to be employed, work in varied sectors which have differing hours/days (mostly traditional) of trading/working. At the moment, the tube is a service that runs on Boxing Day. Perhaps it would be better if they just followed the train lines & closed for the day. We'd all know where we stood & the tube drivers would get the day off they obviously crave on the day most of the rest of us do. So they'd be happy too...
  • Options
    Carter said:

What rate of pay are they after? If I work a bank holiday I get about two and a half times normal rate, but then I don't work shifts and that's something you give up when you take the money of working shifts.

If I work on an evening, weekend or bank holiday (which is most evenings, weekends or bank holidays) it's called being diligent. It's also free.
  • Options
    OS says our game ain't at risk
  • Options
    NZAddick said:

No irony in people who don't have to work on a statutory holiday complaining about a strike held by people who have to work on that day about their working on that day because it affects their day off? I thought so!

I don't want to work boxing day, so when I accept a job I make sure it doesn't involve working on boxing day. I'm pretty sure that having to work on boxing day hasn't just been sprung on them as some kind of super Christmas surprise.

In your perfect world, where we all work at the exact same time and have the same day's off, when would we do our shopping? Or go out to eat? Or do anything other than work and sleep?
  • Options
    Scumbags striking for impact feck em let them do it and reduce their pay until they stop
    Striking
  • Options

NZAddick said:

I don't want to work boxing day, so when I accept a job I make sure it doesn't involve working on boxing day. I'm pretty sure that having to work on boxing day hasn't just been sprung on them as some kind of super Christmas surprise.

In your perfect world, where we all work at the exact same time and have the same day's off, when would we do our shopping? Or go out to eat? Or do anything other than work and sleep?
    Where have I asked for anything to happen in this thread? You go right on attacking that imaginary point I made, give it hell...

Irony: "oi! Get back to work - this is a holiday"
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    PL54 said:

Carter said:

What rate of pay are they after? If I work a bank holiday I get about two and a half times normal rate, but then I don't work shifts and that's something you give up when you take the money of
    working shifts.

If I work on an evening, weekend or bank holiday (which is most evenings, weekends or bank holidays) it's called being diligent. It's also free.
    if you run your own firm or work for yourself then thats with the territory

if you work for someone you are mugging yourself off surely?

I should probably add I'm not having a dig or calling you a mug and I'm as diligent as they come work-wise but if something needs doing out of hours I want paying for it
  • Options
    i was told cos of the problems Brighton played Millwall last night when it should have been boxing day
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If you are having problems viewing this email, you can view a mobile version or an online version. To ensure our email updates are delivered to your inbox, please add Transport_for_London@info.tfl.gov.uk to your email address book.

Home

Live travel news

Getting around

Tickets

I am writing to advise you about getting around London during the festive period.
    Festive services
    The main changes to our services are as follows:

Christmas Eve, Monday 24 December ‑ A Saturday service will operate on most of the network. Buses will run until just after midnight.

Christmas Day, Tuesday 25 December ‑ There will be no service on the entire network.

Boxing Day, Wednesday 26 December ‑ A reduced service will operate on most of the network; there will be no service on London Overground.

The ASLEF union have called a Tube strike on Boxing Day. If the strike goes ahead, there is likely to be significant disruption to Tube services. Please check our website or travel reports before you travel.

New Year’s Eve, Monday 31 December ‑ Free travel will be provided on most of our services on New Year’s Eve from 23:45 until 04:30.

New Year’s Day, Tuesday 1 January ‑ A reduced service will operate on most of the network.

For full details, including information on station closures, please click the links above or visit tfl.gov.uk/festive
    Roads
    The Congestion Charge will be suspended from Tuesday 25 December until Tuesday 1 January, including the three days between Christmas and New Year. The daily charge for driving in the zone will apply on Wednesday 2 January 2013.

Greenford Flyover on the A40 will be closed from Monday 24 December until Tuesday 1 January, in order to undertake essential bridge maintenance work.

On Tuesday 1 January, London’s annual New Year’s Day Parade will take place from 11:45 to 17:00, starting at Piccadilly and finishing at Parliament Square. Roads in and around the event will be closed to traffic from 06:00 until 18:00.
    Public Transport
    Central line
    On Wednesday 26 December, there will be no service between Hainault and Woodford in line with reduced demand. There will also be no service between North Acton and Ealing Broadway due to Network Rail engineering work.

Circle line
    There will be no service on the entire line from Thursday 27 until Sunday 30 December while we carry out line upgrade work.

District line
    From Monday 24 December until Tuesday 1 January, there will be no service between Earl’s Court and Kensington (Olympia). In addition, from Thursday 27 until Sunday 30 December, there will be no service between Edgware Road and Wimbledon and between Hammersmith and South Kensington. This is while we carry out track replacement and line upgrade work.

Northern line
    On Wednesday 26 December, there will be no service between Charing Cross and East Finchley/Edgware as well as between Kennington and East Finchley/Edgware via Bank while we carry out line upgrade work and due to the reduced service.

From Thursday 27 until Sunday 30 December, there will be no service between Kennington and Edgware via Bank while we carry out line upgrade work.

Waterloo & City line
    There will be no service on the entire line on Wednesday 26 December and Tuesday 1 January in line with reduced demand.

Docklands Light Railway
    There will be no service between Bank and Shadwell as well as between Canning Town and Beckton from Saturday 22 until Monday 24 December and from Wednesday 26 December until Tuesday 1 January. This is to allow us to carry out track renewal work and due to Crossrail work at Custom House.
    For full details online of:
    Twitter rail and traffic updates, visit tfl.gov.uk/socialmedia
    Live travel news, visit tfl.gov.uk/travelnews
    Travel throughout the festive period, visit tfl.gov.uk/festive
    Yours sincerely,

Vernon Everitt
    Managing Director,
    Customer Experience, Marketing and Communications

These are our customer service updates about driving in London.
    To unsubscribe, please click here

Travel News
    Real-time updates on how services are running
    Journey Planner
    Get public transport, cycling and walking routes
    Maps
    Plan ahead with maps for Tube, Bus, DLR and more
    Follow us
    Get live service updates and the latest traffic news at tfl.gov.uk/socialmedia
  • Options
    This thread appears to have changed into a discussion about holiday working and reminded me of a humorous conversation I had many years ago with my barber.
    This was just before Christmas when shops were only allowed to open one or two Sundays prior to Christmas.
    “The shops were busy in town on Sunday” I said as the barber was busy clipping my hair.
    “Yes I have an open mind about Sunday opening” he said.
    “So you wouldn’t mind working on Sundays” I said.
    He stopped cutting my hair – stood back and looked in horror.
    “I don’t want to work on Sundays” he said.
    “If the towns full of people on Sundays and empty on Tuesdays, the old boy who owns this hair dressers will have you working Sundays and your day off will be Tuesday” I said.
    His Jaw dropped “I never thought of that” he said.

I’ve often wondered what hour’s shops would be open if law makers (politicians) banks, solicitors, doctors etc. were made to work Saturdays and Sundays.
  • Options
    Arsenal v West Ham OFF
  • Options
    JT said:

Arsenal v West Ham OFF

Good. We may pick up a few footie fans, that are desperate to escape the relatives.

• Options
    Friends facebook status

Arsenal's Boxing Day game is off! :-(
  • Options
    Posting with out reading job?
  • Options
    God almighty I would be spitting feathers if I was an Arsenal fan. Rough.
  • Options
    Arsenal have never played a boxing day game at the Emirates, either always been away or tube strikes
  • Options

Arsenal have never played a boxing day game at the Emirates, either always been away or tube strikes

I'd be fuming if I was an arsenal fan. Boxing day football makes Christmas as far as I'm concerned a lot better

• Options
    edited December 2012
    I live in Cornwall, but I am absolutely furious that my right to travel by tube to the Valley (which isn't on the tube) or to the Emirates (even though I don't support Arsenal and couldn't afford a ticket if I did) is being denied by this bunch of self-elected, power crazy overpaid Guardian readers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    well said
  • Options

well said

With tongue firmly in cheek I suspect
  • Options
    If they did move our game to the next day we would get even less fans as people have gone back to work and we always get less on weekday evening but on the plus side the atmosphere would be better!!