Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Ath v Ipswich Town|26 December 2012| Preview, Views, News and Line Ups

edited December 2012 in General Charlton
"And so this is Christmas
And what have we done
Another year over
and a new one just begun"

The Introduction

This phase of the year is traditionally the time for reflecting on what has passed and for making resolutions for the future. Marking as it does both Chris Powell's 100th game in charge and the start of the 2nd 50% of league games, this Boxing Day clash would have been the time to review the season so far in any case. But recent results of two defeats and four without a win have put achievements in the first 23 games into sharp contrast.

The momentum that the run-away league one Champions could have had was allowed to drift away when there was little summer investment in the squad. That set back seemed to have been overcome with late but significant signings of Frimpong and Fuller and the return to fitness and form of Wilson and Haynes. A long unbeaten run hinted that the season would be spent looking up, not down, the table but recent results have exposed the fragile nature of the squad and given voice to the doubters.

Centurion Powell also appears, in the words of Bono, to still not found what he is looking for. A variety of midfield and forward formations have been tried. Some were certainly enforced by injuries and suspensions but other changes point to Sir Chris looking for a line up and formation that will bring regular victories and exploit the talent that undoubtedly exists in the squad. It is a truism that winning teams are built on a strong defence and the back five have already won many points and plaudits this campaign but goals win games and Charlton have netted in only one of their last four matches. The forwards and midfield need to give the defenders a lead to protect. We know that they can dig in when they have something to hold on to.

100 games as boss of Charlton is a landmark to be proud of but in contrast the opposition manager will hit the 699 managerial mark the same day. Not only does Powell have to compete with cash rich clubs such as Leicester and now Leeds (neither of whom could beat the Addicks) he has to pit his wits against experienced managers such as Holloway, Jones, Bruce and Warnock. "Son of Curbs" may have learnt at the feet of the master but he is still a rookie gaffer finding his way in a new division. Put in that context he is, at least in the eyes of we at Preview Towers, still doing a good job. It's easy to back the man when we're winning but as the Cardiff game showed it's getting behind the boss, and team, when things aren't going well that really matters.

The Opposition

For the third week running Charlton face a team below them in the league. When the Addicks took all three points at Portman Road back in September, Paul Jewell was still in charge and the Tractors boys were 2nd bottom. Since then Bickley Mick has injected some fight into his new charges. They now sit three points above the drop zone but their away form has been poor. They shipped five at Palace, six at Leicester and "only" two at Leeds. They did win at Bolton and Birmingham though so may well fancy their chances against another bottom half side.

DJ Campbell gives the Blues invaluable pace and goals but look out also for tricky former Addick loanee Lee Martin. Sparrows Lane guest Nigel Reo-Coker has been warming the bench in recent weeks but it is at the back where Ipswich have struggled. They have, by some margin, the worst goal difference in the division even if they seem to have tightened up slightly under former Millwall man McCarthy. Expect them to be organised, physical but not very pretty to look at. A lot like their manager, then.

The Line Up

Who can say? Wilson is out suspended so expect Pritchard to return on the right. Stephens is available again but will he partner Frimpong, a name-player some believe flatters to deceive and who was again subbed off at Sheffield?

Evina is said to be back in training but it seems too early for him to come in either for or in front of Seabourne.

Upfront the former Town hero Danny Haynes seems to have lost the goal touch he had found before his latest injury but the other strikers are also firing blanks. If Powell is truly rotating over the busy holiday period then expect Hulse and Fuller to start. It would be the 37th different striker combination used this season. Well, actually I just made that stat up but it does seem like it sometimes.

The Prediction

It's Boxing Day. In days of yore the covered end would reek of newly acquired Brut aftershave while Xmas present jumpers were self-consciously worn. And there would be lots of goals, both for and against.

This year will be no different, in terms of the scoreline at least. 3 - 2 to the Addicks.

Comments

• Options
    A happy jolly festive atmosphere at The Valley to be spoilt by the football as we take a point in a dull turgid 1-1
    Seasons Greetings
  • Options
    Cannot make a prediction as no longer have any idea what team Powell will pick. Just hope it does not include Kermorgant or Kerkar and includes Pritchard and Hulse.
  • Options
    2-0 home win
  • Options
    Think we should really go for it and have 3 up front. If we do then 3-1, if not then a boring 1-1.
  • Options
    2-0 defeat can see a rot occurring
  • Options
    Bore draw.
  • Options
    3-0 win, that might be a tad overoptimistic but I just have a feeling that if CP plays Hulse, Haynes and Fuller we can do this, put Green on the right play 4-4-2 (Haynes left side) and use their pace down the flanks to feed the top 2.
    Unable to do the match thread as have 'visitors'.....so @LancashireLad has said he will take up the baton for this one. Lets hope when I tune in later we have got 3 points!! COYR's
  • Options
    Be interested in the crowd figure for this 25,500 I reckon. 12,000 ST's, 500 walk ups, 500 Ipswich, 12,000 comps. Or 14,500
  • Options
    Just bear in mind that mad Mick has got them moving. Only two weeks ago they put three past Millwall without reply.
  • Options
    Would start with Hulse and Fuller up front. I've made the last two games and think I might be some sort of jonah so as I won't be there it'll be a thumping home win. Though having witnessed the last two games, realistically we'll score first, concede an equaliser early second half and somehow manage to hang onto a point.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lot of goals in this game ...reckon will be 3-2 to charlton
  • Options
    Again, I really can't see us winning this. Goals have dried up over recent weeks, so I'm going for a 1-1 draw - with one of our centre backs scoring from a set piece.
  • Options
    Does anyone remember the December game against Ipswich when we went 2 down to Marcus Bent (I think) to fight back and win 3-2, would love a repeat of that
  • Options
    Realy can't see anything from this other than a Xmas hangover!
  • Options
    We usually do well againt Ipswich. I really see a draw , BUT given that they are our fallguys .... CAFC 3 v Ipswich Town 1 .. Dependant on Fuller playing
  • Options
    1-2 defeat, Midfield is just not good enough.
  • Options
    1-1 draw
  • Options
    3-0 COYR's
  • Options
    We need a win really to keep our cushion from the bottom 3 in this tight league.

A test of character for the boys.

COYR
  • Options
    We need a win but even with our current squad which are terrible, according to some are good enough to keep us safe in mid-table(18th - 10th).

Anyway im going for a tight 2 1 win for us, snatching all 3 points in the last few minutes, which means despite the 3 points some people can say unconvincing and be worried.

Fuller getting the winner after Hulse gets the first goal.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charltron suddenly play like Barca (well, Swansea) and score 2, conceding 0 as Hamer and his defensive crew grit their teeth. BWP gets one of the goals, prompting some shameless "about time we brought him back on" comments on here and we burp and fart our way to a happy victory boxing-day brunch.
  • Options
    Several drunken references to the playoffs are roundly ignored.
  • Options
    Hamer
    Solly
    Cort
    Morro
    Seabourne
    Green
    Stephens
    Pritchard
    Jackson
    Hulse
    Fuller

Sadly I don't believe Frimpong has actually improved the standard of our midfield and I would like to see Pritchard reinstated. Pritch wasn't great against Brighton, but he came up with an important goal and his energy is always immense. I think he has been unfortunate to miss out in the last two games.

2-1.
  • Options
    If CP trots out the same struggling players and takes a very cautious tactical approach we will lose . Another 0-2 in the offing. If he does shake it up a bit and above all takes an attacking, high tempo tactical approach we could shade it 2-1 or even 3-2.

Obvious limitations in the squad but I am sure we can get more out of the players we do have. Come on Chrissie Powell, come on you reds!
  • Options
    Stephens, Pritchard, Hulse and Fuller in for Wilson, Kerkar, Yann and Haynes, our no-width formation to get us back on track, 2-1 addicks COYR
  • Options
    Once the plethora of x mas games is over CP needs to decide on what is his best team, nail his colours to the mast and stick with it. At the moment he is obviously affected by injuries and suspensions but adds to that by not so much a rotation policy as uncertainty and indecision.
    Fanny has raised concern over the boards thinking and if you read the match thread indirectly there has started to be a lot more criticism of managerial decisions by fans. We do need some more points in the board and we need it with clear decisive thinking pre and during games.
  • Options
    1 - 1.
  • Options
    If Hulse starts 3-1. If Kermorgant starts 1-1.
  • Options
    Never mind which players he picks up front, what they need to work on is their attacking play, and how to break down defences without hoofing it into the box on every occasion.
  • Options
    Boxing Day at the Valley is generally a good time to get a result as we rarely lose as Swindon would agree. But we are in a mini slump so although a draw looks a good bet more likely is a frustrating 1-0 defeat.