Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overreaction

13»

Comments

• Options

Good post Clive. Three losses on the bounce against sides below us has a few alarm bells ringing but I have confidence in the majority of the players and management.

CP needs to go back to basics, battling performances that might not be pretty but are effective. It's how we won the league last year and what's brought the seeming togetherness of players/staff at the club.

Players like Pritchard and my mate Wilson have the endeavour and attitude to get us out of this rut. I hope CP builds the midfield around a work hard model and the quality may then have a Chance to follow.

Well said, VG.

Only question is, will our "owner(s)" give SCP the time and cash to prove he can get iit right & what is their goal for this season at this point in time ?

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Yesterday cost me an extra £80 bringing people to the match.

So frankly you can stick all this 'bigger picture' stuff. Just not interested.

We have some very well paid players who were not putting it in yesterday.

Btw what was the crowd?

You are interested in other things tho.. You declared Powell must go on your twitter yesterday and more. Thought it was a bit extreme myself.
    Seriously ?

• Options

By comparison, QPR in the Premiership had only 16k on Boxing Day.

• Options

Ta, thought it looked 15k max.
    NW Quadrant was quite full, that' s always a sign. My guess was about 18, so I don't think we were impressing any visitors with that gate figure.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    SCP isn't and shouldn't be above criticism which is just as well as he is criticised relentlessly and often irrationally by some whenever we lose. Shame they don't have the balls to comment when we are on a winning run.

He is the manager so takes the plaundits and the brickbats. He is not perfect, he is not irreplacable nor the "soul" of the Club. But he is our manager and deserves more respect and considerartion (and time) than a few fans are willing to give him.

What he is, imho, is a young manager learning his trade in a higher division where week in, week out he faces managers with much more experience. Compare SCPs 100 games to McCarthy's 699. Other teams also have bigger budgets. That's the way it is after Kevin Cash walked. It's a test for Powell to deal with.

So far he has done OK in my eyes. He's got somethings wrong and I find some of his team selections odd but easy to say because we lost the team selection was wrong. Sometimes its the players who are to blame or you just meet another team who are better than you on the day. And there is no doubt the constant and long term injuries have hit us hard.

Doesn't look like any huge investment is coming in Jan. The rumours are that the KOCs have withdrawn once they saw the books. If true, and its just another rumour, then SCP will have to wheel and deal. I expect to see a few players sold or released to free up wages and generate a little wiggle room to bring others in. Fingers crossed its not Solly who goes.

But Powell deserves the opportunity to lead his team for a few more years yet.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

SCP isn't and shouldn't be above criticism which is just as well as he is criticised relentlessly and often irrationally by some whenever we lose. Shame they don't have the balls to comment when we are on a winning run.

He is the manager so takes the plaundits and the brickbats. He is not perfect, he is not irraplacable nor the "soul" of the Club. But he is our manager and deserves more respect and considerartion (and time) than a few fans are willing to give him.

What he is, imho, is a young manager learning his trade in a higher division where week in, week out he faces managers with much more experience. Compare SCPs 100 games to McCarthy's 699. Other teams also have bigger budgets. That's the way it is after Kevin Cash walked. It's a test for Powell to deal with.

So far he has done OK in my eyes. He's got somethings wrong and I find some of his team selections odd but easy to say because we lost the team selection was wrong. Sometimes its the players who are to blame or you just meet another team who are better than you on the day. And there is no doubt the constant and long term injuries have hit us hard.

Doesn't look like any huge investment is coming in Jan. The rumours are that the KOCs have withdrawn once they saw the books. If true, and its just another rumour, then SCP will have to wheel and deal. I expect to see a few players sold or released to free up wages and generate a little wiggle room to bring others in. Fingers crossed its not Solly who goes.

But Powell deserves the opportunity to lead his team for a few more years yet.

Agree with this. I am frustrated at the moment. CP's tactics, substitutions and team selections are often mystifying. We have ridden our luck quite a bit and, although the whole soul of the club stuff is very important, we are in danger of going up our own collective arse at times. It is nevertheless my earnest wish that CP gets the opportunity to learn his trade with us. It might be an uncomfortable ride at times but its the least he deserves. Notwithstanding the anticlimax of the summer after the highs of last May, we are undoubtedly better off than we were and, don't forget, it could easily all have gone horribly wrong if the CP clear out gamble had not paid off. It was a gamble lest we forget and we could just as easily be in league 2/bust by now. That we are a lower mid championship team is CP's doing and, whatever the current frustrations, we should forget that at our peril.

• Options

The rumours are that the KOCs have withdrawn once they saw the books.

Now that is worrying.Care to elaborate?

• Options
    Agree almost word for word with Henry other than the new manager / experienced manager stuff.

It's both a cop out to defend and a shit stick to waggle.

Someone who has been in football all their life and two years in management is no different to someone ten years in management. McCarthy was no wet behind the ears manager when it went wrong at Sunderland or Wolves, and neither was Jewell at Ipswich.

We are what we are, and without a big input of investment a la 12 months ago I can't se any.manager doing better with the same squad. So I'm more than happy to stick with the guy we have, who I think is a Charlton legend.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Curb_It said:

Btw what was the crowd?

You are interested in other things tho.. You declared Powell must go on your twitter yesterday and more. Thought it was a bit extreme myself.
    Irony.....I've posted 'Powell must go' since he started.

I didn't know KOC's had looked at the books?

Then again I didn't know what the crowd was so......

Btw, I think it's very healthy to have other interests......

• Options
    Managerial time served isn't a guarentee of success but it does usually mean a manager has a wider range of experience and skills to fall back on. Managers with longer service also tend to have more confidence when things to go wrong or new problems come up.

Nothing more to add to the rumour on Koc. It is what is it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Took Curbs 7 years to get us promoted, I'd like to see Powell get at least a fair crack ( a couple more seasons minimum)
  • Options
    was Curbs given shit loads of money throughout his first 5 years, in my recollection no, a few £50k players well researched and purchased, one of his best signings in his early years for me was McCLEARY from Millwall.
  • Options

Took Curbs 7 years to get us promoted, I'd like to see Powell get at least a fair crack ( a couple more seasons minimum)

Fair point , and the bit from NSS about Curbs not being given tons of dosh,we need to sign hungry players , whose value will increase, as well as having experienced heads who know how to get results.

• Options
    Well said superclive
  • Options
    Henry I agree with you with most of your post but it's the simple mistakes I can't get my head round.. 1 we played last season with attacking wingers and It worked well with wagstaff/green but as soon as this season has started he would rather play a cm in wingers position who have not got any pace/ good crossing skills so our midfield always look so slow in getting forward or look like they have no zip/energy. Jackson can play on the wing in league 1 but never in this league!! Too many players playing out of there positions IS simple management mistakes that he still after all these games still not seen and why he has not given green/wagstaff a chance more often scares me. If a new manager came in I bet he would play players in the positions and give everyone a chance he has left players out for no reason but he can't change his mind and give fringe players a chance!! And people keep saying when we lose one game bla bla but it's now 3 on the trot and no wins in six so it is time to talk about manager issues!
  • Options
    But times are very different now...no club has 7 years unless they are close to break-even. Most clubs are losing a lot of money in the Championship despite the crowds (and prices) up from the 90s because the tv deal is shite but the players salaries have gone through the roof... this means that owners do not have the patience, nor the will to burn millions each and every year waiting for promotion... I remember Richard Murray telling me that, had we lost to Sunderland in the play-off final, then Rufus was off to Spurs for £3M to cover the losses... right now I suspect that CAFC does not have a single player whose sale could cover annual losses.

Having said that this is CPs squad and he has to churn out some results in order to earn more time and a budget to paper over the cracks. I have argued elsewhere that unless we went into a massive losing streak, it would also be extremely expensive to replace him at this stage... perhaps U18/U21 players will come through as they did in the 90s saving the club millions in transfers and p'raps (!) CP can carry the dressing room up to the next level, i.e., pushing for the top 6 and "losing" a few squad players every summer?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    To get out of league one you need a league one manager...to get out of the Championship you need a Premiership manager.
  • Options
    IF the KOC deal has fallen through it looks like we could be looking to sell both Stephens & Solly in January. It's going to be an interesting time, whatever happens.
  • Options
    Looking to sell and being able to sell at a ridiculous valuation may be the stumbling block this time round now that I'm sure Stephens' stock will have fallen !
  • Options
    As previously said I don't think Villa really wanted Stephens, may have been a ploy to get Westwood at a cheaper price. Last week on 5 live Lambert compared Westwood to Paul Scholes and basically named Him their player of the season. Make it seem you want someone and then out of the blue on last day go get someone else not really giving their club a chance to negotiate a higher price.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

IF the KOC deal has fallen through it looks like we could be looking to sell both Stephens & Solly in January. It's going to be an interesting time, whatever happens.

This

• Options

Curb_It said:

Btw what was the crowd?

Irony.....I've posted 'Powell must go' since he started.

I didn't know KOC's had looked at the books?

Then again I didn't know what the crowd was so......

Btw, I think it's very healthy to have other interests......

Oh irony, okay yeh i get it........

• Options

To get out of league one you need a league one manager...to get out of the Championship you need a Premiership manager.

Don't agree, Nigel Adkins? Brian McDermott? Ian Holloway? Paul Lambert? Could go on. Many variables make a team get promoted - manager, players, team spirit, bit of luck!

• Options
    edited December 2012

Christ alive.
    Wots a Premiership manager then?Do you mean the likes of Ferguson,Wenger & Moyes?

Or the likes of McCarthy, Jewell & Bruce? Each of which have an uncanny KNack of taking Premier league teams and converting them into championship ones!

Which is it to be?
    Please think before you answer.

• Options
    Nug said:

Don't agree, Nigel Adkins? Brian McDermott? Ian Holloway? Paul Lambert? Could go on. Many variables make a team get promoted - manager, players, team spirit, bit of luck!

I think what maybe is saying is that you need someone who knows what he is doing!
  • Options

Nug said:

I think what maybe is saying is that you need someone who knows what he is doing!
    Get rid of Powell now and have another five years like the five we've just had.It's as simple as that.

• Options
    If you think Moyes is a good manager, I do, Everton have stuck by him at times when other clubs would have pulled the trigger. I hope we do the same. Unrealistic for us to go up this year. Happy if we can stay midtable and build a team over the next year to really challenge. See no benefit in keep chopping and changing managers. Only team it has ever worked for if you base it on trophies is Chelsea, and they are able to bring in top managers and players at will, totally different scenario to us.
  • Options

Nug said:

Get rid of Powell now and have another five years like the five we've just had.It's as simple as that.

Pretty much. Chopping and changing mangerial staff will do nothing to stabilise/establish the club back in the Championship, which with the relative lack of funds is an imperative before we even dream of promotion to the Premiership.
  • Options
    Nug said:

If you think Moyes is a good manager, I do, Everton have stuck by him at times when other clubs would have pulled the trigger. I hope we do the same. Unrealistic for us to go up this year. Happy if we can stay midtable and build a team over the next year to really challenge. See no benefit in keep chopping and changing managers. Only team it has ever worked for if you base it on trophies is Chelsea, and they are able to bring in top managers and players at will, totally different scenario to us.

Agree with you, except I'm not even sure it has worked for Chelsea. With the money they've thrown at it, they should be completely dominating England and Europe.