Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mambo joins shrewsbury on loan

2»

Comments

• Options

He's already played for Charlton Athletic, including a win against a team that won the Championship last season, but you lot go ahead and keep slagging off a young player that most of you have probably seen play less than half a dozen times, if at all.

No one has slagged him off though.
  • Options
    His wages won't be astronomical and Sir Chris will have to be sure he can't make it before he cuts him off. 21 is no age for a centre half as has already been mentioned.
  • Options

Kept a clean sheet in his first game against Coventry. They won 1-0. Good on him.

Then again he was up against Leon Clarke........ ; )

Plus I think he only came on in the 90th minute. Great result to get on your first game there though. My Shrewsbury mate is over the moon!
  • Options
    One day he is gonna be a terrific defender .. let's hope he's still an Addick when the day comes
  • Options

Michael Turner took a while to get up to top flight quality but doing alright now.

True. Matt Elliott, Chris Smalling, Danny Shittu and Linvoy Primus all went onto enjoy decent careers after failing to cut it at our academy. I think you have to take a bit of a long view with defenders and Powell should have an eye for it.
  • Options
    Maybe Sir Chris sees him as a potential replacement for Cort - who isn't getting any younger - but who is still doing a great job for us now which buys Mambo a bit of time.
  • Options

Michael Turner took a while to get up to top flight quality but doing alright now.

rue. Matt Elliott, Chris Smalling, Danny Shittu and Linvoy Primus all went onto enjoy decent careers after failing to cut it at our academy. I think you have to take a bit of a long view with defenders and Powell should have an eye for it.
    Smalling? Never heard he was a part of our academy before. Is that correct?
  • Options
    CAFCElite said:

Will never play for charlton fact. Lets look at the evidence

Charlton Athletic
    Welling United
    Dover Athletic
    Staines Town
    Eastbourne Borough
    Staines Town
    Ebbsfleet United
    AFC Wimbledon
    Shrewsbury Town

Looks like he is desting for a non league career.

Non-League? His last couple of signings have been going up and up; exactly what you expect.

Also, didn't we have a striker last year who had premiership experience, was a bit of a Charlton legend but spent most of his time at AFC Wimbledon? (Hint: We did. Euell)

Whereas Euell was ending his career and winding down, Mambo is beginning it and winding up.

Despite that though, I think I understand what you're saying. It would be disappointing to see him fade to nothing; and he has had a rather large amount of loans. But I wouldn't worry yet, he's being kept around the club for some reason or other - and I dare say the progression of his loans is a good sign, not a bad one.
  • Options
    thought we showed interest in Smalling but he chose to go to Fulham instead of us? Didn't we have Richard Gough though?
  • Options

thought we showed interest in Smalling but he chose to go to Fulham instead of us? Didn't we have Richard Gough though?

Gough played a few games in the early 1980s if I remember. His dad Charlie played for us back in the 60s. Either Charlie Gough or John Snedden joined us straight from the Paratroop Regiment .. tough ? .. I should F***ing co-co
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Gough played a few games in the early 1980s if I remember. His dad Charlie played for us back in the 60s. Either Charlie Gough or John Snedden joined us straight from the Paratroop Regiment .. tough ? .. I should F***ing co-co
    Don't remember Richard Gough playing for the first team. Charlie played a couple of times I think.

John Snedden joined from Arsenal. I remember thinking, as a young boy, that coming from the first division he'd be a lot better than he proved to be!

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Don't remember Richard Gough playing for the first team. Charlie played a couple of times I think.

John Snedden joined from Arsenal. I remember thinking, as a young boy, that coming from the first division he'd be a lot better than he proved to be!

Richard Gough never played in our first team,but I think he was on our books for a while in 1978 according to Wiki,he went home to South Africa and reemerged with Dundee United a couple of years later.He certainly was the one that got away.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

CAFCElite said:

Will never play for charlton fact. Lets look at the evidence

Charlton Athletic
    Welling United
    Dover Athletic
    Staines Town
    Eastbourne Borough
    Staines Town
    Ebbsfleet United
    AFC Wimbledon
    Shrewsbury Town

Looks like he is desting for a non league career.

Jenkinson has a similar track record. Doubt he'll ever amount to anything.....

No he hasn't. He went on loan to Eastbourne when he was 17. Mambo is 21 and is playing for shrewsbury some 4 years older than Jenkinson.
  • Options
    Not many 21 year old centre backs playing in L1 or above.
  • Options
    How many is not many? I can name 10
  • Options
    Mambo's a few months older than Jenkinson and they were both at Eastbourne in the same season, when they were 18/19. I'm not expecting him to make it with us, but he's worked his way up through the divisions since he was 17, he's obviously progressed each season.

With Taylor likely to go in the summer and Cort coming towards the end of his career (34 next season) I wouldn't write him off completely - though he's got some competition with Feely coming in and other young CBs from the academy.

If he impresses in League 1 he might have done enough to win another year with us.
  • Options

Not many 21 year old centre backs playing in L1 or above.

21 does seem to be a key age, checking the history of recent Charlton home grown CBs, with only Rufus establishing himself before 21 in the 1st team.

Jon Fortune became a 1st team squad player in the PL aged 21.
    Rufus made his Charlton debut (in the 2nd tier) at 19 and went on to become a regular
    Michael Turner first went out on loan aged 19, to Leyton Orient, and was sold to Brentford aged 21
    Linvoy Primus made his debut for us aged 19, and was released aged just under 21
    Dean Chandler was released aged 21...
  • Options
    Yeah but dean chandler was shit anyway lol
  • Options
    I remember when Lee Bowyer and Dean Chandler got caught in the bogs at the training ground by steve gritt smoking the sweet marry Jane. Haha and when Bowyer smashed up macdonalds because they had run out of bigmacs....
  • Options
    Bowyer reminded me of Roland Rat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Just been on the Shrewsbury Fans Forum. Looks like he's doing well.

Player ratings vs Sheffield United

Player of the season update

Ratings vs Preston

Mambo thread
  • Options
    Good to see he seems to have stepped up to that level.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I feel Mambo will be fine if he's paired with a complimentary CB, who let's Mambo go for the 1st ball and sweeps up around him.

Work in progress. Whether he is possibly Championship standard next season , time will tell.