Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Worried about this January transfer window

2»

Comments

• Dave2l said:

Fair enough and positive, no one shares my concerns.

Sometimes it's good to review worst case scenarios. I trust Powell with the capital T but the owners appear to be unpredictable on their redundancies.

You're right but I would suggest there is a very big difference between those sorts of decisions that involve the backroom staff and and those that involve publicly messing about with the first team players, managers etc.

One of those differences being - they hired Chris Powell, they bought pretty much all of the current players.
  • cafctom said:

Jimmy Floyds palace?

No, just his underpants.
  • Not worried only first choice player I can see going is solly. I would hate it but he is a right back which is not the most important position imo.

I hope we sign a winger with pace we would look so much more dangerous.
  • 1or 2 or even 3 are bound to come and go,but that's football at our level,mid table for a season or two and hopefully building for something in the near future.
  • Not worried.

Clubs like Reading or Fulham are surely not going to want half a season in the Championship experienced players to fight off relegation.
  • cafctom said:

Jimmy Floyds palaceunderpants? Fixed ;-)

• Some people will worry about anything.
  • They need bigger balls
  • Dave2l said:

Our owners are dodgy and can't be trusted.

Id like to see you defend that in court mate....give me something 100% concrete to prove your statement.....looks libelous to me.

If I was Jimenez or Slater Id be mightily pissed off seeing that. We didnt sell anyone in the summer despite a good offer for Stephens......explain to me whats changed? Lets deal in facts and not rumours or hearsay though :)

• TEL said:

Dave2l said:

Id like to see you defend that in court mate....give me something 100% concrete to prove your statement.....looks libelous to me.

If I was Jimenez or Slater Id be mightily pissed off seeing that. We didnt sell anyone in the summer despite a good offer for Stephens......explain to me whats changed? Lets deal in facts and not rumours or hearsay though :)

The owners can't be faulted with what has happened on the pitch during their reign.

• Sponsored links:

• Ok.....fair enough.
  • cs1986 said:

Not worried only first choice player I can see going is solly. I would hate it but he is a right back which is not the most important position imo.

I hope we sign a winger with pace we would look so much more dangerous.

That is why I suspect we won't sell him - January is for desperate signings. Premiership clubs will wait until the Summer.
  • WHat's this about Danny hollands + cash for Matt Richie?
  • WHat's this about Danny hollands + cash for Matt Richie?

Just speculation. Nothing more.

• Think we have all forgotten that charlton have all ways been a selling club, from hales, lee, bowyer, mills Parker etc maybe prem years where different but it's the charlton way, player have to be sold to keep the club going. I don't think it's just this board that will sell top players. (Including Past, present and even future board members)

I wouldn't want the best players to be sold BTW
  • I love Solly, great little player, but if we got offered good money for him - let's say 2.5 million plus - and we could bring in a good replacement such as Frazer Richardson for a smallish fee then that's great business for us.

We are losing 5 million per year, the chance to make 2 million on the sale of a player we paid nothing for in terms of transfer fees would be too good to turn down.
  • Not happy with that. Frazier Richardson is injury prone and not a reliable starter. Without Solly, Charlton has to drop Lawrie Wilson to right back, find a back up right back and a new right half. We would severly miss Wilson's energy in midfield. 2.5 million is no way enough. Double that and we may have enough to replace with x2 decent players given that some of the money would go into ongoing running costs. Solly is an exceptional player and one developed through the ranks. Don't want to lose him in the team. If we sell our best players (for effectively peanuts), we are staring at a relegation battle and losing the championship money on relegation. WHU have premiership money and should not think they can take such a crucial part of our team easily or cheaply.

The club is at crucial stage where we will consolidate and push on or get relegated with the threat of a further fall. Do WHU give a stuff about that ? We need to keep our best players and build. We are x3 quality players off a top 6 finish, the margins in the championship are slim between the top and bottom of the league.
  • vff said:

Not happy with that. Frazier Richardson is injury prone and not a reliable starter. Without Solly, Charlton has to drop Lawrie Wilson to right back, find a back up right back and a new right half. We would severly miss Wilson's energy in midfield. 2.5 million is no way enough. Double that and we may have enough to replace with x2 decent players given that some of the money would go into ongoing running costs. Solly is an exceptional player and one developed through the ranks. Don't want to lose him in the team. If we sell our best players (for effectively peanuts), we are staring at a relegation battle and losing the championship money on relegation. WHU have premiership money and should not think they can take such a crucial part of our team easily or cheaply.

The club is at crucial stage where we will consolidate and push on or get relegated with the threat of a further fall. Do WHU give a stuff about that ? We need to keep our best players and build. We are x3 quality players off a top 6 finish, the margins in the championship are slim between the top and bottom of the league.

Fair comment, but money is not free, somebody, somewhere is stumping up for our 5 million PA losses, they are going to want at least some money back at some point.
  • edited January 2013
    Dave2l said:

It seems we are getting hints of interest for 3/4 of our players and the sources look plausible.

I disagree with both of these comments. I don't think the sources are plausible. Sure Villa were interested in Stephens in the summer but I've seen direct quiets from Lambert where he is saying he wants no more young players to develop, he needs players that have the experience to keep them up. That is not Dale. It is so easy (and lazy) for journalists that have no real contacts to go back to deals that nearly happened at the close of the last window and assume they'll happen now.

The other rumours are that Premier League teams are going to splash a considerable sum (including fees and wages) for players that had a decent season in League One then played up to 26 games in the second tier. I don't know, exactly, how these rumours get out, or who 'makes them up' but Jimenez has already demonstrated that he's no mug and won't sell our best players for nothing, so why would these clubs rush into a higher priced signing now, when they can wait for the summer to see what other options they might have, and to allow these third division players to complete a whole season in the second division?

As for the owners being dodgy and untrustworthy? There is no money to be made from selling our best players cheap. They clearly don't love the club like we do, but I'd bet my house that they love money, and they know that the club needs to be promoted for them to make any. On hat basis, they will do what is most likely to achieve promotion. At the very least, they will do what they beleve to be the most likely to achieve promotion. Irrespective as to if we trust them on a day to day basis I am 100% confident that they want what we want - for different reasons, sure, but they need the club to be successful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Solly being rated to be worth 5million is ludicrous. Statements like that are exactly why that british talent is overpriced. Michu cost 2m. I say despite him being a very decent player we could possibly get 3m for him and get someone like Alan Hutton on loan until the end of the season and then buy in the summer. sad to see Solly go but he's not priceless
  • Alan Hutton ,now there is an interesting player.bit of an ugly Scottish yob and deemed ,hysterically ,to be less than prosaic and graceful at WHL but I would take him if the price / wages were right.doubt that they are though.
  • I would almost certainly say wages would be a stumbling block and I cant see Villa being willing to help subsidise on the matter either. However I hope to see Cousins in the line up tomorrow and he could well be the answer.
  • The game today against Huddersfield shows how important Solly is to the team.
  • Hutton has bad baggage believe me wouldn't touch him with a barge pole

Speak to rotten ham and villa fans any of sound mind will tell you

Football ability yes off field tossed with issues yes
  • At least that shower who played today are safe. Sorry, just trying to find a positive...