Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Team for the FA cup

Comments

• Would we risk any of the players we might be trying to sell in January?
  • The perfect team for most here on CL would be

Solly
    Solly Solly Solly Solly
    Solly Solly Solly
    Solly Solly Solly

Not having that , i thought we all dreamed of a team of Kermorgants? :-0

• The perfect team for most here on CL would be

Solly
    Solly Solly Solly Solly
    Solly Solly Solly
    Solly Solly Solly

don't agree with this ^ at all, would go:

Solly
    Solly Solly Solly Solly
    Solly Solly Solly Solly
    Solly Solly

• If you are going to sell them then either make the teams interested put a firm offer on the table or play them a d cup tie them

It's about us and our team no one else's

Huddersfield have been having as inconsistent season as us both teams should put strong teams out and try to build confidence
  • Why couldnt you care less?!

Last season we took 7,000 to fulham in the 3rd round. Before that 4,000 to spurs. Some of the best away days ever have been in the cup; bristol city, united, newcastle, liverpool, coventry, boro. Not to mention the fact that if we got drawn away at arsenal in round 4, we could potentially take 500 odd grand cash share of gate receipts - the figure some people are suggesting we might sell our form player pritchard for.

Absolutely defies sense. If anything we should be prioritising this game. But no lets give a few youngsters a game and gift the opportunity to huddersfield.

Fair point, i shall backtrack. What i meant by couldnt care less 'im not too fussed', i do agree that a good cup run isnt a bad thing unlike last year where we were solely concentrating on promotion.

In hindsight i would still pick a few youngsters for experiance, to give some of our players a rest as they have had a busy xmas period. Also to give people like Waggy/BWP a chance to stake a claim for a spot as they havent really had many in the league.

Agree if we win and get a big tie then it would be excellent, lets see what happens i think as it was vs the udders i wasnt too optimistic but i have changed my view now :) thanks
  • Would we risk any of the players we might be trying to sell in January?

who are we trying to sell?
  • what about kevin feeley
  • If it was going to be a strong team - I'd expect to hear about it from Chrissy as this will help ticket sales. I don't think some of the predicted line ups will be far off although Sir Chris will probably want to play a team just strong enough to have a chance of getting a result.
  • It's not a pre-season friendly, it's an FA Cup Tie. Play the best team available and build on the Watford performance. If we want to give the youngsters a run out, then loan them out to clubs where they can play regularly.
  • Play the strongest team, its the Transfer window at the moment, if any of the first team get injures, buy or loan to cover him.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2013
    My guess is: Button, Wilson (If nose ok), Morro, Taylor, Evina, Pritchard, Dervite, Green, Kerkar, BWP, Azeez - with JJ, Stephens, Solly and Kermo on the bench
  • Button
    Solly Morrison Taylor Evina
    Wagstaff Wilson Pritchard Cook
    Kerkar
    BWP

Subs: Sullivan, Dervite, Green, Harriot, Azeez, Kermorgant, Fuller.
  • For all those who say play the strongest team, this is a winnable game etc, didn't our strongest team struggle to a 1-1 draw in the league against the 10 men Huddersfield? I'm with the put the reserves out camp.
  • What a ridiculous comment eldavide. So we failed to beat Huddersfield once so we may as well just concede the match? Idiot.

Our "strongest team" at the time also lost 2-1 at home to 10-man Watford a few months back. We managed to beat them (with 11men) on Tuesday.
  • If we were 23rd in the league I'd rest players, mid table we may as well play a stongish team.
  • Nice to see you've got a lot of faith in our squad then Sturgess! Watching the league game (did you?) there was nothing to suggest that we'd win the cup game with our "strongest" side, so how about giving a few players with points to prove a go?
    The point I'm making is alot of people seem to think our first 11 will turn up and win, I never said concede the game, just don't expect Huddersfield to be turned over as easily as some on here your point about Watford shows how inconsistant the "strongest" team is
  • Coincidentally I was on holiday for the Hudds game, the only home game I've missed this season, but I got a thorough report from others at the game thanks.

Its nothing to do with faith in the squad. I have faith in our manager and what he thinks is his strongest team. And clearly by definition our strongest team will gives us the best chance of winning this game. I will be disappointed if Powell chooses not to play something close to this.

I have no idea how good Diego Poyet or Jordan Cousins are for example, I've never seen them play (how many who are suggesting playing them have?). But Powell has and he obviously doesn't think they are anywhere near as good as our first choice alternatives, hence they are nowhere near the side. The same with Wagstaff - who I have seen play many times and I must say the sight of him on the teamsheet as others have suggested above makes me shudder. As such, if any of those play, it is likely they weaken our side.

We should not be treating this game as a pre-season friendly to give unknown youth players experience, we should be doing our utmost to win it for the reasons I've already discussed above.

• edited January 2013
    cafctom said:

Hamer (what does playing Button achieve? I know he has been patient in waiting, but if he plays a blinder then he is no closer to the first team)

It gives him vital current 1st team match practice, keeping him match fit - if Hamer picked up an injury and needed to be subbed, Button would replace him anyway.

Rest Hamer just to give the kid Button a go.

"The kid Button" lol ...... Button is 24 next month, with 90 League matches under his belt,
    16 in the Championship last season.

;o)

• Rest Hamer just to give the kid Button a go.

"The kid Button" lol ...... Button is 24 next month, with 90 League matches under his belt,
    16 in the Championship last season.

;o)

Haha I didn't realise this. Give the man Button a go then..
  • Nick Pope will be on the bench Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• I have a revolutionary idea. Lets play our strongest team so we can win the game and perhaps get to the next round of a cup competition.

THIS.
  • I would usually be in the strong team camp and this is the first time I havent. I'm not suggesting we roll over and hand the game to Huddersfield but I think that if we play our first team we are likely to draw and have a pointless mid week game so rest a few and see what happens, this will be our 5th game in two weeks so rotate. We blooded Pritchard and Hammer in a weakened team against Reading and won, these players are now being linked to Premier clubs. I picked my team for the following reasons: -

Button - I would play him to give him game time and keep him sharp
    Cousins - Solly is class and will be gone within a year, Cousins is highly rated so give him a game
    Evina - Looked good last few games and needs a run in the team, great pass to Pritchard against Watford
    Devite - Given away a few goals recently and needs game time
    Taylor - With Cort injured we cannot afford to loose Morro
    Green - Looks low on confidence so play him to hopefully turn the corner
    Stevens - We cant rest everyone
    Kerkar - signed as a centre midfielder so give him a chance, may need game time if Stevens goes to Villa
    Cook - People on here have been crying out for width on the left so give him a chance
    BWP - Played well against Derby so give him a go
    Kermogant - Same as Stevens

This team isnt that weak and should easily give Huddersfield a game
  • Think we will be seeing a few youngsters Tommorrow.

@ruben_bover: All the best tomorrow boys deserve that @bjordan47 @MA_Fox @Cally_messi @S_Ajayi5 jordan and ads. #cafc
  • Not sure but couldn't that be the youth team who are playing Chelsea in the youth fa cup ?
  • Any player, manager or supporter with no interest in the FA Cup has no place in football.
  • Button
    Solly
    Dervite
    Morrison (the centre backs need game time together if Cort is injured for a few games)
    Evina
    Wilson
    Pritchard (get him cup tied)
    Jacko
    Harriot
    Kermorgant
    BWP

Subs:
    Pope
    Cousins
    Taylor
    Stephens
    Wagstaff
    Fuller
    Azeez
  • Button

Cousins Devite Taylor Evina

Waggy Stephens Poyet Hariott

Azeez Kermogant
  • Realistically we have no chance of winning the cup so why not put a couple of youngsters in to see how they fair.

Plus i'd be annoyed if we lost key players to injury in a cup game. It would be different if we were flying high and had a really strong squad, but we aren't and don't.

The arguement is a cup run would bring in revenue so we need to try and win. That is correct, but its also an opportunity for Powell see what players are made of in a competitive. A few years ago Parkinson put out a near reserve team in the cup and they actually ended our run of games of without a win. Whose to say some up for it youngsters playing to impress wouldn't do us proud.
  • Players like Waggy, the forgotten man, should get a go along with some of the better youngsters like Azeez and Cousins, fitness permitting.

Some of the "first" team, Evina and perhaps Kermorgant for instance, need matches but most do not and if I was SCP I'd rest, or bench at least, Hamer, Solly, Cort, Morrison, Pritchard, Jackson and Fuller.
  • I would usually be in the strong team camp and this is the first time I havent. I'm not suggesting we roll over and hand the game to Huddersfield but I think that if we play our first team we are likely to draw and have a pointless mid week game so rest a few and see what happens, this will be our 5th game in two weeks so rotate. We blooded Pritchard and Hammer in a weakened team against Reading and won, these players are now being linked to Premier clubs. I picked my team for the following reasons: -

Button - I would play him to give him game time and keep him sharp
    Cousins - Solly is class and will be gone within a year, Cousins is highly rated so give him a game
    Evina - Looked good last few games and needs a run in the team, great pass to Pritchard against Watford
    Devite - Given away a few goals recently and needs game time
    Taylor - With Cort injured we cannot afford to loose Morro
    Green - Looks low on confidence so play him to hopefully turn the corner
    Stevens - We cant rest everyone
    Kerkar - signed as a centre midfielder so give him a chance, may need game time if Stevens goes to Villa
    Cook - People on here have been crying out for width on the left so give him a chance
    BWP - Played well against Derby so give him a go
    Kermogant - Same as Stevens

This team isnt that weak and should easily give Huddersfield a game

Good shout! I concur.