Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Survey reveals over three-quarters of professional footballers suffer from depression

I'd be depressed earning ?????????k a week to kick a ball about. What about the poor sods who pay to watch them kick a ball about.
More than three-quarters of professional players in England and Scotland say depression is a problem for footballers, according to a new survey.
Little more than year after the death of Gary Speed, who suffered from depression, a survey by Four Four Two magazine of 100 players showed the condition is a problem for many.
The survey also revealed that 26 per cent of those questioned had witnessed racism in the game, while 14 per cent believed match-fixing takes place, though it did not state at what level in the game or whether domestically or internationally.

In terms of depression, one League One player told the magazine: 'It can affect a lot of players. I know because I have been there.
'The easy route was to give up the game completely - I was in a dark place.'
Professional Footballers’ Association chief executive Gordon Taylor said his organisation was devoting a lot of resources to tackling depression.
He said: 'It is an issue we have been dealing with now for some time and we are looking to ensure that people are aware of what support systems there are.
'We have a network of advisers and our own counselling service at the PFA as well.'

The survey also revealed that 43 per cent of those questioned said there were too many foreign players in English football, 62 per cent insisted a gay player would not be an outcast in the game and 50 per cent agreed that recreational drugs were used by some footballers.
Only 13 per cent of those questioned believe performance-enhancing drugs are used.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Where's the cut off for when it's "ok" for a footballer to be depressed .....1k per week, 750pw 500pw, 400pw,300pw ......

• Options
    You only have to look at Danny Haynes reaction to his injury sat to understand the fragile state of some of these guys

Not saying Danny is depressed but to break down in front of nearly 20k people after scoring the best goal I have ever seen live

Shows how much 1 injury problem can affect them

None of us know what pressure comes with earning that money or playing the game we all love
  • Options
    I think the title is a bit misleading.

Three quarters of footballers didn't say they suffer from depression, three quarters of professional footballers said depression was a problem for footballers.
  • Options
    Did you work that maths equation out mate yourself

I could look at that for 3 months and not work that out

Clever lad 8+)
  • Options
    Depression can be caused for loadsa reasons, having plenty of dough won't stop it.
  • Options
    Yes, injuries and insecurity may a big factor. When you consider the length of a career, what lower league players earn is not that much. Having shed loads of dosh will help but there is more to life than money.
  • Options
    over 90% of football supporters suffer from depression actually working a SHIFT whilst paying to watch dross who have no chance in this media led biased bollox of todays football of ever actually wining anything.
  • Options
    People only need to read Leon McKenzie's story in the Daily Mail, the serialisation of his book, to know that this is a serious problem.

The fact is that 99% of UK footballers are NOT Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Rooney or Giggs, outside of the Premiership madness and the cashed-up Championship clubs - especially in L1 and L2 they are regular blokes who know they are one injury or loss of form from being on the scrapheap.

I was talking to an ex-pro out here (he played for Palace!) the other week and he was telling me that a large number of his ex team mates suffered post-football because they could never recapture the life they had when they were pro players, everything else seemed so mundane.

If you go back and read Garry Nelson's book 'Left Foot Forward' or the follow-up you will see he refers to a very similar situation for many of his ex-colleagues.

The situation is even more chronic in cricket where so many ex-players, including David Bairstow, Danny Kelleher and others have committed suicide because they could not cope with life post-cricket.
  • Options
    Totally misleading title
  • Options
    Can't believe people are suggesting that footballers have 'no right' to get depression because they earn lots of money and are often 'dross'. I imagine having 20,000 people telling you they hate you could be quite depressing,not to mention the thousands more who do it online.
    They know only one way of life often from the age of ten and then at 35 everything can be gone. If anybody has ever worked for a company which has gone through a structural / management change they will tell you how stressfull it can be. Imagine if that change is your whole life.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Money is not a depression barrier!
  • Options
    Also have to take into account that large numbers of players don't actually play on a regular basis. Can think of a few who are in the Charlton squad who have rarely featured in the last 18 months. You'd have to be mentally very strong to not be affected by that. And for younger players there is massive pressure to break through or risk being released at the end of the season.
  • Options
    The auctual statement was "depression is a problem for footballers" to which 23% strongly agreed, 55% agreed, 16 % neither agreed or disagrred, 6% disagreed and none strongly disagreed.
  • Options

The auctual statement was "depression is a problem for footballers" to which 23% strongly agreed, 55% agreed, 16 % neither agreed or disagrred, 6% disagreed and none strongly disagreed.

And Gareth Bale fell over!
  • Options
    I have decided to blame any future depression on the fact that since I stopped playing as star striker for Cuaco's 8th team in the Fifties, I just can't reproduce the lifestyle that I enjoyed. Nothing can match arriving at the meeting point and quickly counting the heads to see whether we have mustered 11 souls who can recognise a ball. Or waiting on the pitch in the freezing cold avoiding the sea of mud that passed as the centre circle, while they tried to drag some poor sod out of his warm nearby house to act as referee. Then into the team bath where your virility was often questioned, before returning home to lie about the quality of your performance. How I sympathise with our brave lads now trying to exist on just a few thousand a week, how they must envy me.
  • Options
    More than three-quarters of professional players in England and Scotland say depression is a problem for footballers, according to a new survey.
    Which is fairly meaningless, it's possible that the 75 footballers who said depression was a problem could have been thinking of Gary Speed or just one current player.

I'm sure there is depression in footballer, just like any other group of society. We had someone at work (building manager) who had a breakdown.
  • Options
    Read that article in the magazine, was very interesting. A bit in there about a chairmen who would openly buy cocaine for the players!
  • Options
    misleading title

plus, money doesnt always bring happiness. just because people earn £x amount per week, doesnt mean they wont suffer from depression.
  • Options
    Im also not 100% convinced in the average footballers ability to fill out a survey
  • Options
    If you play the game, all you have to do is say to someone "I'm a footballer", and likelihood is there will be a whole load of broad stereotypes thrown at you. Some of them are in this thread unsurprisingly.

I can imagine that sort of pressure follows you everywhere you go. Doesn't matter how decent a person you are, the majority will have an opinion of you that you can't change. I can imagine that to be a very lonely spot.

Saying "Oh but they earn this much" is so simple minded and stupid, but then again I think Football supporters on the whole have just as many flaws in their collective make-up as players do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Which is fairly meaningless, it's possible that the 75 footballers who said depression was a problem could have been thinking of Gary Speed or just one current player.

I'm sure there is depression in footballer, just like any other group of society. We had someone at work (building manager) who had a breakdown.

Could it be some have depression but not due to something going on their footballing career?

Maybe have personal problems fans don't know about..

• Options
    If anything I think the money compounds any problems. "I'm earning £x k a week and have got my dream job, why aren't I happy" or just the simple "if I go on the pitch today, will I be crippled for life and have it all ripped away from me", that creates anxiety which can be a cause of depression. Added anxiety could be wondering if your girlfriend/wife is only with you because of your job title. There's so many thoughts that run through their head that we will never consider. Imagine making a bad mistake at your work place and being branded as a liability by thousands because of it and it all written accross the papers and all over the tv.
  • Options

Could it be some have depression but not due to something going on their footballing career?

Footballers don't have personal problems - their identity is purely that they play football and get paid a lot of money, and are happy all of the time.

Personal problems, pah!
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I can imagine that sort of pressure follows you everywhere you go. Doesn't matter how decent a person you are, the majority will have an opinion of you that you can't change. I can imagine that to be a very lonely spot.

As became apparent on CL when Darren Pitcher was invited to Bromley Addicks....?

• Options

Footballers don't have personal problems - their identity is purely that they play football and get paid a lot of money, and are happy all of the time.

Personal problems, pah!

There certainly is that resentment towards footballers who are highly paid whilst the general footballing public suffer in the "real world"

If one of your players said they were "tired" for example what would be the reaction...

Probably doesn't help footballers when you get Rio Ferdinand tweeting for people to "feel sorry for him" becuase he couldn't go out on NYE.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Not a big surprise really that depression in Footballers is quite common , thousands of people chanting your name one week / booing your name the next or when your on the scrap heap not giving a toss about you (sorry for putting it so bluntly).
  • Options
    When they retire they cannot replace the adrenalin highs and are then prone to drink too much to combat the depression. The ex Charlton pro I knew was an alcoholic.
  • Options
    I know depression in football. As a kid I played once for the school team and scored the winner in a tense 1-0 battle. Next game I was dropped. That was it. The team moved on without me.
    I HAVE NEVER BEEN THE SAME SINCE THEN.......... ;-)
  • Options
    I blame tatoos - I'd be depressed if I had to get up in the morning and see all that tacky "body art" in the mirror :-)
  • Options

When they retire they cannot replace the adrenalin highs and are then prone to drink too much to combat the depression. The ex Charlton pro I knew was an alcoholic.

Cricketers are even worse for this, they probably have the highest rate of post retirement suicide :-(