Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Survey reveals over three-quarters of professional footballers suffer from depression

2»

Comments

• Options
    Time off is something people also don't consider in football. Footballers do have slightly shorter days (normally 8 to 1) and usually get two days a week off, but if they are playing poorly that day off can be cancelled. If they are young the afternoons as for education.
    Then they get no break at Christmas, Easter, New year etc. They then get May to August off. Except if they are in play offs or cups, or if they are involved in a national comeptition. And if their contract has expired they spend that time off looking for a new job. Or if they have been injured and are training they have to train right through the break.
    This can leave no time to unwind from the stress. All the money in the world is pointless if you can spend it or spend time with love ones.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I blame tatoos - I'd be depressed if I had to get up in the morning and see all that tacky "body art" in the mirror :-)

:-)
  • Options
    DRF said:

Time off is something people also don't consider in football. Footballers do have slightly shorter days (normally 8 to 1) and usually get two days a week off, but if they are playing poorly that day off can be cancelled. If they are young the afternoons as for education.
    Then they get no break at Christmas, Easter, New year etc. They then get May to August off. Except if they are in play offs or cups, or if they are involved in a national comeptition. And if their contract has expired they spend that time off looking for a new job. Or if they have been injured and are training they have to train right through the break.
    This can leave no time to unwind from the stress. All the money in the world is pointless if you can spend it or spend time with love ones.

Are you Rio in disguise?

• Options
    DRFDRF
    edited January 2013
    No, I just posses an element of empathy which I appreciate you don't.
  • Options
    To partly cure this problem, If a player has a long term injury (6 weeks out +) then they should be sent out straight away to coach young football prospects either in England or around the world. For the players that would not be interested in this can just sit on their arse.

I think the depression from a footballers point of view is feeling worthless even if they have loads of money.
  • Options
    I can highly recommend reading A Life Too Short about German keeper Robert Enke - too upsetting to read at times but a fasinating insight into the mental battles that people who need to 'perform' in the public eye are under (especially if they are predisposed to anxiety anyhow). Money has nothing to do with it.