Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dale Stephen Saga!!

Comments

• Options
    Lerner came out and said Lambert has 10mil to spend in Jan
  • Options
    Wilson / Pritch in the middle doing the running around and let Jacko play the fulcrum role and spray the ball about
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Charlton are said to have paid around £300k for Stephens - how much of that was paid up front or in installments, I've no idea.

In the summer, Villa were thought to have offered not much more up front; the rest in installments and add-ons.

Basically it gave us very little cash or scope to bring in a replacement, let alone make any sort of profit on our investment.

In short - it was considered that the deal would not have brought any measurable benefit to Charlton.

Dale is still young (he was 23 just a couple of weeks ago) and is likely to mature into a better and more consistant player - so no need to rush any thing through unless the deal is of benefit to the club.
  • Options
    The random numbers will continue to come out but if there were ever any extras offered for qualifying for Europe you'd better belive those are out. In all seriousness though, we don't know what was offered before and we won't know what he'll go for as it'll be undisclosed. Personally I'm going to go for £12million. No reason, it just seems a nice number
  • Options
    All I will say is Stephens was running and tackling against both Derby & Watford. I haven't seen that before on 2 consecutive games. (A bit like Racon when he was looking for a move).
  • Options
    Danny Green was the David Beckham of League one.

Dale Stephens is the Championship version of Stevie G

Terrific player , great engine and an eye for goal and a killer pass , must be worth 5 million up front.
  • Options
    Ha Ha MIA
  • Options
    Chuck in a sell on clause for Oldham which i suspect is about 10%
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dale is a good player and will get better. It took him a while to adapt to the quicker pace in the Championship. No need to sell him unless we get a silly offer.
  • Options
    I hoped this was going to happen in the summer and i hope it happens now. I just don't see us progressing with Dale Stephens in the side. It was in the summer, and would be now, my priority position that i'd be looking to sort out. Followed by a dangerous winger.
  • Options
    You're a struggling PL club with 10mill to spend, would you spend 2mill on Dale?? For the record I want him to stay put but it seems he was pretty miffed when it fell through in the summer. If his heads gone I'm sure CP will make the right decision, this squad is all about the right characters.
  • Options
    according to the voting stats Dale has scored around 6.5, playing midfield many, many minutes in a squad which is finding its feet in mid table championship - in fact the same midfield which was not rated the highest last season one league lower!
    what I am saying is that he has helped the club to the next level...and we are close to our best finish in how many years?!!!

Yeah sure, there is a big question as to whether he and others can help the club climb again next season? In the meantime I'm 100% with turning down derisory offers - let's say less than £1-1.5M hard cash because this is all about rebuilding a club...

Would love the opinions of people who really know the game but he strikes me as someone who, like Yann and Pritch (and the defence) can grow with the club. I really don't think we can make play offs (or be troubled by relegation) this season but 12 months from now the squad with a few additions might be well placed?
  • Options
    Lets get real here. Stephens ain't premier league quality. If Villa want him then they are crazy. And if they wanna pay us good money wouldn't care if he went to be honest. He is lightweight. Premier league midfielders will bully him stupid....He has made a few fook ups for us in the championship. The Villa scout must have been smoking a doobie while watching him.....

Stephens Vs Yaya Toure..........em the mind boggles...
  • Options

according to the voting stats Dale has scored around 6.5, playing midfield many, many minutes in a squad which is finding its feet in mid table championship - in fact the same midfield which was not rated the highest last season one league lower!
    what I am saying is that he has helped the club to the next level...and we are close to our best finish in how many years?!!!

Compare that to the rest of the squad though. Of those who have started regularly only Jackson and Kerkar have scored lower than Stephens. There are plenty of players with fewer starts and less game time with higher scores than our Dale.

• Options
    Dale defo reminds me of Stevie G too MIA.

Now read this slowly... I AM NOT SAYING HE IS AS GOOD AS GERRARD. Far from it.

But the way he plays, the way he strikes the ball & passes a ball even the way he steps up to a corner kick is reminisent to the style of stevie g.

Given the right guidence he will be well on the way to big things.
  • Options
    Jarman said:

But the way he plays, the way he strikes the ball & passes a ball even the way he steps up to a corner kick is reminisent to the style of stevie g.

Really? I dont see it at all.

Stevie G in his prime pinged the ball about, played deadly long passes and shot at every opportunity. Stehens does none of these things - he passes sideways or backwards the majority of the time, he does not like hitting long passes and passes up shooting opportunities.

I also do not believe Stephens has it in him to take a game by the scruff of the neck and boss it at any level which is what Gerrard did on many occasions.

I really think it is unfair to compare the two in any way.

Btw this is no knock on Stephens I think he could be a good ball playing midfielder with time.
  • Options
    Jarman said:

This should be on the jokes thread
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dale reminds me of a mix between Gerrard and Carrick - an budget version of course
  • Options
    Please please please go back and watch Gerrard in his prime their is no likeness to how Stephens plays.
  • Options
    Is this a sick joke on villa ?
  • Options
    CAFCElite said:

Lets get real here. Stephens ain't premier league quality. If Villa want him then they are crazy. And if they wanna pay us good money wouldn't care if he went to be honest. He is lightweight. Premier league midfielders will bully him stupid....He has made a few fook ups for us in the championship. The Villa scout must have been smoking a doobie while watching him.....

Stephens Vs Yaya Toure..........em the mind boggles...

Your right , Yaya ain't got a candle on Dale!
  • Options
    cs1986 said:

Please please please go back and watch Gerrard in his prime their is no likeness to how Stephens plays.

Bit harsh , Gerrard wasn't that bad.

• Options
    Mark Noble in, Dale Stephens out. Sorted.
  • Options
    Yeah he reminds me of Stevie G, except for he can't tackle, doesn't seem to support the lone striker unless everyone else pushes up in front of him, and doesn't win many headers in the middle of the park. Oh he does hit the ball sweetly though.

If Villa sign him, they would be mental, as they are desperate for experience and people who bother and can close down in midfield. I would miss him, he is important to us, but if let's us put some energy into the midfield that we have with Solly, Wilson and Wiggins then it would be good: But you don't always get what you want.
  • Options
    nolly said:

Is this a sick joke on villa ?

Shhhhhhhh

They might be watching
  • Options
    Pretty confident he won't be going anywhere in this window. Most Prem clubs in Villa's situation are looking to make savior signings that can keep them in this league rather than use the budget on giving them prospects.

Possibly in the Summer though.
  • Options
    No one has, or ever will bid £2 million for Dale Stephens. Fact.